Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Griffon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I've read that fluorescent lighting will have a negative effect on the readings of electronic powder scales/measures. Will LED lighting have that effect also? It seems it would be fairly simple to convert the fluorescent lights to LED.

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No ill effects noted. I was going to convert lights, but found LED fixtures cheaper. These boys are super clean and bright!

https://www.menards.com/main/lighti...72133557086.htm?tid=-2927575869938677726

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never heard of that, but good lighting is a good thing. I have fluorescent lights, but would not be opposed to LED. I believe they make LED tubes now. It would be the RF emissions, IE the "Buzz" ones hears from fluorescents.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always had fluorescent lighting in my loading room, in addition to halogen and incandescent.

My RCBS scale and dispenser have never had a problem, whether only the flourescents were on, only the the incandescent, or most of the time with both on.

In the past year I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. I still don't see any problems.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JB anneals his cases by candlelight.

I don't think that bothers his electronic scales either.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had fluorescents on my loading room and never saw any effect on the Chargemaster. Replaced the tubes with LEDs from Costco. Brighter, no flicker, no warm up, no hum, saves energy.
Win, win, win win, win.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When my reloading room was first set up my florescents did interfere with the wireless link between the RCBS scale and dispenser

I believe that link is done by infrared and think older florescent tubes that start to get that worn spot in the coating at the end of the tube leak a lot of infrared. All it took so solve it was to shade the communication ports on the scale and dispenser..

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Never heard of that, but good lighting is a good thing. I have fluorescent lights, but would not be opposed to LED. I believe they make LED tubes now. It would be the RF emissions, IE the "Buzz" ones hears from fluorescents.

I'm making the switch to all LED lights in my garage. After buying and using and comparing, the LED's are so much nicer than fluorescents in so many respects. The old chit is going bye bye.. Upgrading the lights in the house too..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smithrjd

They do make LED tubes that work in fluorescent fixtures. We have them in our fire station. They also make LED fixtures that look like traditional florescent fixtures, but have two "tape" strips of LEDs running down both sides. When you place the diffuser on it, you can't tell the difference except for the brightness. They are some stupid bright sumbiches. They are also much lighter than florescent fixtures weighing less than a couple pounds at best.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have LED overhead lights in my reloading room and I have LED light strips on my presses in addition to a LED desk lamp to check powder charges.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do IR and RF radiation affect a balance beam scale, or a set of dippers? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have LED overhead lights in my reloading room and I have LED light strips on my presses in addition to a LED desk lamp to check powder charges.

Those are the plans I have for my up north house when I retire.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
Griffon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for the replies. I converted the overhead fluorescent to LED and added an LED desk lamp.
Paul

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
No ill effects noted. I was going to convert lights, but found LED fixtures cheaper. These boys are super clean and bright!

https://www.menards.com/main/lighti...72133557086.htm?tid=-2927575869938677726

You can get bulbs shipped free around 8 or 9 bucks each... thats under 20 for a revamp.. remove ballast, rewire tombstones... good to go... RE cost issues...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like the LED's

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We are going to all LED's at home, in our cabin - even in our RV. Much better light, use less energy, and pretty much last forever with no bulbs, ballast, etc to need changing or replacing.

But, no, I don't know if they do anything to electronic scales. Haven't changed the lighting in my office, where I reload, yet, so don;t see any difference.

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Do IR and RF radiation affect a balance beam scale, or a set of dippers? wink

Not if you keep your tinfoil hat on nice and tight.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
tag

Retired cat herder.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Griffon
I've read that fluorescent lighting will have a negative effect on the readings of electronic powder scales/measures. Will LED lighting have that effect also? It seems it would be fairly simple to convert the fluorescent lights to LED.

If you believe LED lights might affect scales and other electronic products, you might try reloading in the dark; this way, nothing will affect the scale. Of course, a double charge or no charge might result. smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
JB anneals his cases by candlelight.

I don't think that bothers his electronic scales either.

grin

You think he has electricity and indoor plumbing?

Don't need "lectricity", them scales runs on "battries"...

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,499
Posts18,452,455
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.