Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by weagle
I had one just like it and it was a great shooter.

Weagle

What bullet weights did you shoot in yours?

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. Thanks.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brownell's sells a cock on opening conversion kit, I think it may be made by Dayton Traister. Supposedly not an easy intallation though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had the Dayton Traister kit put in mine. The gunsmith who did the work was a very accomplished 'smith and he admitted that it was much more difficult than he thought it would be. I wound up with that cock on opening kit, stock glass bedded, and barrel recrowned in search of some of the accuracy this rifle and caliber were supposed to be capable of. The rifle would shoot itty-bitty groups with the plain jane Winchester Super-X 140 grain PSP. I tried to find an accurate handload for the 140 grain Partition without success until I pulled all my hair out and set the lugs back on the bolt. Rifle is now out of state at a gunsmiths for repair.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...I'd like to correct one point in this thread. It was not Kimber of "Oregon" who put these sporterized Mausers on the market. Just after Greg Warne sold the financialy troubled Kimber of Oregon to the Kimber of America people. The new owners desperately needed funding to make a move to what is now thier Yonkers NY facility,and to tool up the plant for production of the 1911 pistols they planned to produce under the Kimber of America name. As a first means to effect an infusion of additional capital,the new Kimber owners bought up a couple thousand surplus Swedish model 96 Mausers,and a couple hundred surplus model 98 Mausers (cz24s, the numbers are scuttlebutt). It was the sale of these Kimber sporterized Mausers that helped the fledgling Kimber of America get on it's 'feet' and start production in the Yonkers location...I bought one of the Kimber 98's in .338 Win. Mag. It will make minute of angle with it's favored Winchester supreme ammo....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by olhippie
...I'd like to correct one point in this thread. It was not Kimber of "Oregon" who put these sporterized Mausers on the market. Just after Greg Warne sold the financialy troubled Kimber of Oregon to the Kimber of America people. The new owners desperately needed funding to make a move to what is now thier Yonkers NY facility,and to tool up the plant for production of the 1911 pistols they planned to produce under the Kimber of America name. As a first means to effect an infusion of additional capital,the new Kimber owners bought up a couple thousand surplus Swedish model 96 Mausers,and a couple hundred surplus model 98 Mausers (cz24s, the numbers are scuttlebutt). It was the sale of these Kimber sporterized Mausers that helped the fledgling Kimber of America get on it's 'feet' and start production in the Yonkers location...I bought one of the Kimber 98's in .338 Win. Mag. It will make minute of angle with it's favored Winchester supreme ammo....

Thanks for the info and correction. I just looked at the picture of the barrel again and it says "Kimber of America" instead of Kimber of Oregon.

HBB

Last edited by hillbillybear; 02/15/07.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Originally Posted by weagle
I had one just like it and it was a great shooter.

Weagle

What bullet weights did you shoot in yours?

HBB

I can't find my old reloading data, but I recall it had a very long throat and shot 140 gr ballistic tips around an inch even though I was using the 2 stage military trigger. I also had a 98 version with the stianless fluted barrel in .270.

Weagle

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
228 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 34 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.