Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
To put it more succinctly, they used to publish articles so you would see the ads. Now the articles are the ads. This a criticism of publishers and their corporate bosses (Pr------ in particular) , not the writers.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After reading this thread recently, I looked back through a small stack of G&A issues from the late 1970s and early 1980s. Like all of you, I remember enjoying Mr. Milek's writing during my "formative years" as a shooter, but the thing that struck me most tonight was the photographs of him-in more than half of the photos, he was smiling big and looked like he was really enjoying himself with whatever he was shooting.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a picture of Bob Milek over my workbench in the shop.
Nuf said...

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I just wish he wrote more stuff, because in every other respect he seems to be a lot like his dad (including in height, but since he and I are about the same we get along fine, even tell short jhokes to each other).

You're not short, you're "efficient". smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When Bob passed on I pretty much quit buying the rags at that point!!

NRA Life Member
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Milek was my first "favorite" gun writer, because he seemed down to earth and a "doer!"

What do I mean by that?

His articles were obviously from his own experiences and not influenced by any ammo companies that might have tried to leave him a pallet of ammo "to try."

I have missed Bob Milek and his writings A LOT!

Mr Howell: You and Mr. Milek were lucky to have known one another, and have been friends. Thanks for your anecdotes and personal experiences/insights. Sorry your friend is gone ..... in this world anyway ..... wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob Milek was one of my favorite "gun scribes". I also miss his work A LOT. Therein lies a story: Back in 2003 I did my first Wyoming pronghorn hunt. Had a doe and a buck tag. The doe was easy. The buck we really had to work for but he was worth it, (he's now on the wall). The day we got the buck my guide had to hike back several miles to get his truck. I stayed on a small ridgeline with a good view of my buck and and an awful lot of open country. It was warm that October day. As I was basking in the sun and enjoying the scenery I began to feel like I wasn't alone. Not a frightening feeling but a calm and peaceful type of feeling. I actually felt like there was a prescence of someone or something but it felt good. Then all of a sudden the thought of Bob Milek pops into my head. Then I realized that here I am sitting on a small ridgeline in Wyoming with a .25-06 next to me and a nice pronghorn that I had got from a measured 325 yds. I'm not making this up. I'm not into spirit stuff or anything but it's almost enough to make a guy believe in ghosts. I guess that after reading all Bob's stuff for years what else could I have thought of right there & then. I was in southwestern Wyoming at the time although if I recall correctly Bob was from up around Thermopolis WY. Anyway, I took a digital picture of Bob from an old "guns & ammo" magazine and it's now on my computer screen saver. Wish he were still with us. I'd have considered it a high honor to have met the man in person.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was just thinking about Mr. Milek, yesterday (01MAY2010), and decided to look him up on yahoo [really looking for a compilation (best of?) of his writings] when this thread popped up on the search. I read with great interest all of the testaments of his character and humor which, again, reminded me of the person that I imagined he would be if I met him; sure wish I could have.

Mule Deer, I'm very sure Bob Jr would be the best candidate for a tributary collection of his late father's work, and I'm also very sure Bob Jr would be kept quite busy (if he were to produce such a work) with fulfilling just the orders from Campfire Members, alone! My all-time favorite would have to be his piece on elk hunting in the 1990 (91?) G&A Annual. I really thought that I still had that annual, but I searched EVERYWHERE and it is simply gone.

I would surmise that the very best compliments we can bestow on his dad, is that after so many years, he is still not only remembered... but revered, cherished, and missed. So if you would, just plant a little seed in his ear, or better yet, show him this thread and let him come to his own conclusions. He would be greatly welcomed here at the 'fire.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Only reason I have a .35 Whelen is because of Milek's writings.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yea, he got me into bedding my own rifles and introduced me to the 7mmBR. The intro to the BR really got into the bank account.Rick.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Only reason I have a .35 Whelen is because of Milek's writings.

Dan

I could pretty much say the same thing. It was an article by Bob Milek that made me want a 35 Whelen in a bad way. This would've been in Peterson's Hunting about 1990 when I was 14. I still have that magazine and when I was 24 I finally got my Whelen. In the article Milek was reviewing a 700 Classic and elk hunting with it. Mine ended up being 700 BDL and it might just be the best rifle I've ever bought.

Milek seemed very much like he was for real. That inspired confidence in what he said. I remember one article he wrote about a moose hunt with a .444 Marlin. While he did get his moose, at a range of about 200 yards, he felt that he had pushed the limits of that cartridge and bullet combination and based on that experience would recommend keeping the distances shorter with a .444. I have to appreciate honest analysis based on first hand experience.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CAPITALIST

Mule Deer, I'm very sure Bob Jr would be the best candidate for a tributary collection of his late father's work, and I'm also very sure Bob Jr would be kept quite busy (if he were to produce such a work) with fulfilling just the orders from Campfire Members, alone!

JB,
Surely this has been considered before now. What's the backstory?

I'd certainly like to peruse such a work. That would sure bring back some memories....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CAPITALIST
� I'm very sure Bob Jr would be the best candidate for a tributary collection of his late father's work, and I'm also very sure Bob Jr would be kept quite busy (if he were to produce such a work) with fulfilling just the orders from Campfire Members, alone! �

BEEG problem �

Bob wrote under exclusive contract to Guns & Ammo, so everything that he wrote was "work done for hire" � i e, with everything automatically the exclusive property of Guns & Ammo, with no residual rights left to Bob.

Bob and I were discussing his writing for Handloader and Rifle when Pete came-up with that exclusive contract, else Bob would've been on my staff at Wolfe Publishing.

Add to that the subsequent change of ownership of Guns & Ammo, and the BEEG problem becomes an impossibility.

Too bad!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for bringing this to the top Ken.

Very good stories, and good to see your short list is much smaller than good guys. I suspect most of the "bad apples" are because of an attitude, as most gun people are friendly to other gun people.

Thanks again for your whit, knowledge and for sharing it with us. A big handshake from afar,

Allen

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ken Howell:

Thanks for your reminisces about bob Milek. I always enjoyed his writings and learned from them. I'm also glad to see that you are up and kicking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken, would you post a list of your bad guys? I am curious.

Would one of them have the initials Charles Askins? I can't stand to read anything written by him.

Well, that is not entirely true. I did read some of his stuff, which is why I formed the opinion of him that I did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1234567
Ken, would you post a list of your bad guys? �

No.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

No.

Well stated.....

Allen

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

No.

Thats just one of the things that makes you one of my favorites.

I'm SO happy to see you back!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr. Howell! (I just realized that I sounded like Gilligan, just now!) Glad to hear from you! Welcome back to the 'fire!

Thanks for bringing me back to terra firma, I hadn't thought of the copyright violations. It really stinks, though. I still think that G&A could see the potential profit margin of a coalition with Bob Jr. His dad impacted several generations of hunters! Not unlike Ruark, Hemmingway, Keith, O'Connor, et al. We all still enjoy their written works and are continually inspired by them. So what about OUR masters of the written word? I just couldn't imagine a better candidate for posthumous honor than Bob Milek.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.