Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bater Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have the medium Talley one-piece rings and base combo on my Encore 25-06. I only have about .5" between the hammer and my 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster scope. I don't really want to go with the higher rings with the smaller 40mm scope. How have the hammer extentions worked for you Encore guys? What brand are you using, and have they caused any misfires? Thanks for the help, Brett

100% Public land DIY!
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
T/C does not recommend hammer extentions on the Encore...the extra weight slows the hammer down enough that you will only dent the firing pin.

I am sure this is why they developed the "swing hammer' on the pro hunter model and are offering factory retro-fits to existing Encores.

I will have to bow to anyone else here that knows of a lighter weight hammer extension that "has" worked on a Encore hammer.

Bater Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've heard that this problem can be fixed with a stronger spring. Any experience with this?

100% Public land DIY!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'm no expert but my father and brother both have Encores that they put hammer extensions and they have had no problems with misfires or anything. They were a little concerend when they put them on because we had read that hammer extenstions affected accuracy, but we saw now signs of that either. I don't know if it makes a difference, but they bought the type of extension that sticks out on both sides of the hammer.
bullpup

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Use aluminum hammer extension and you should be OK. Encore hammers HAVE eventually broken the hammer when they are made of STEEL.

The weak area of the Encore hammer is self-evident when viewing.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TC will install the Pro Hunter hammer on the standard Encore that pivots for $65. The info is on their website.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use hammer extentions made specificaly for Encores. I got them from Mike Bellm at bellmtcs.com,. They work great, don't slip, no effect on force of hammer to firing pin, etc.

Last edited by DaGriz; 03/27/07.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by hunter5325
I've heard that this problem can be fixed with a stronger spring. Any experience with this?

I had problems with my 375 H&H two years ago and had to send it in to T/C. Almost every other shell would not fire-just dent primer. It had a hammer extention on it. I called T/C and the first thing they asked was if ther had been an extention on the hammer. I said no - they said that was the most common problem with extentions. I guess they put a heavier spring in it. My Encore works with the extention now with no problems.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think, if I had it ALL to do over again, I'd do it the same way. That way was to have Mike Bellm rework my hammers by heliarcing them to add metal to the spur shank & install his lightweight extensions.

Actually preferred this to the Encore retrofit. If you send your gun to T/C and they find a trigger job has been done, they'll yank all your parts and put you right back to square one. Been there & done that.

The new T/C hammer is ok but I like my Bellm stuff better.

WHATEVER YOU DO...DO NOT BUY OR EVEN SCREW A STEEL EXTENSION ONTO YOUR HAMMER SPUR !!!!!

If you so much as even tighten it onto it and change your mind as I did, the spur will break sooner or later. I had to pull the hammer back by sticking my finger on the face between the frame for two seasons. If you go with the aluminum Bellm extension it'll be smoooooooth sailing for you.

www.bellmtcs.com

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.