Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm new to pre- 64 M70's, but not to M70's entirely having had a push- feed 338 Win for a few years. Picked this one up yesterday in a little store here in rural Oregon for $600 out the door; I'm thinking a receiver sight will be replacing the scopechief. I'd like to know more about this rifle; the tang looks different from other M70's, as does the safety wing; when did Winchester stop marking barrels "30 GOVT 06?" Any tips for loads? It came with a coffee can full of brass.

Here are some pictures:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Markings are definitely "old timey," alot like the markings on my Colt Officer's Model Match 38spl and my older Smith and Wessons.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bore is clean and bright, so I think from looks of this stock that this gun was hunted more than shot. I'm about the opposite, shooting far more than I hunt.

[Linked Image]

Bottom metal tells the same story:

[Linked Image]

And the tang:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/DSCN2776.jpg[/img]

And a better look at the safety:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/DSCN2777.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Oregon45; 04/07/07.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not a M70 expert by any means but yours looks more like a pre-war rifle. There are several sites you can Google where the serial numbers and dates of manufacture are listed to give you a better idea. It looks exactly like one I just sold and I got a whole lot more for mine than what you paid.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I went to a serial number search engine online and it said 1947 for the date of manufacture; might have been the plant using up pre- war parts after resuming civilian production?

I just took the scope off and the rifle handles like a dream, the stock is set up just perfect for irons and I think that's how I'll use it. I have enough guns with scopes.

Also, the safety is awfully sticky; I can't get it out of fire right now without yanking a bit harder than I'm comfortable with. Any ideas?

Last edited by Oregon45; 04/07/07.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Oregon: You have a real "gem" there. There were about 17,292 M-70s made in 1947. I've owned a number of M-70s over the years, and think the '47 guns may be the nicest of all from a "fit and finish" standpoint. The "clamshell" safety is my favorite also. Full disclosure: The fact I was born the same year your gun was made may have slanted my view a little. Regards.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice rifle, I'm in envy...

Here is a web site with some good info.

I have to wonder if that is a pre-war though with the tang appearing to be a clover.

Don't make it a wall hanger, those were made to shoot.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additionalinfo/winchester_model_70.htm

Pre-War:
The "Pre-War" (up to early 1942) version had a cloverleaf rear tang & was made from s/n 1 to about s/n 60,500

The bolt shrouds on the pre-war will be flat on top and the transition model will be round.

The bolt handle on the pre-war will have a 90 degree step at the base and the transition does not.

The pre-war will have clip slots at the front of the rear receiver bridge on all of the standard actions. The transition model has the clip slots on the target rifles in 30-06 only or by special order.

The rear bridge on the pre-war has no original holes in the recessed and matted wavy line area. It does have (2) peep sight holes on the LH side of the rear receiver. Scope mounts in that era used a rear base that was made to use these peep sight holes on the side.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Your gun is a Type II or a Transitional gun... The safety is referred to as a transitional safety or clam shell... You have a clover leaf receiver.... The gun was probably made in late 47 since they were still using up parts from the Type I or "pre war" guns earlier int he year... Keep in mind the "pre war" Type I gun is a misnomer.... It should be referred to as a Type I since these guns (in the Type I confirugation)were made up until 1947....

The stock has been cut and a Pad added which detracts from the Collector value but that should make a great hunting gun and if you take care of it the gun should still be a good hunting gun after another 60 years...... You got a good deal on it as I would expect one from that era and shape to probably go for more like 750 to 800 or so....

The safety can be helped... Take the bolt apart and and take out the firing pin and remove the bolt sleve... then you can get to the safety form the inside and oil it.... If you are not comfortable doing that a gun smith can do that for you.... I am sure you know this but I will tell you anyway... The gun has to be cocked to change the safely position... The gun in the pictures is is not cocked...

Keep in mind this variation of the 70 was only produced for two year.... 47 & 48.... so there are fewer of that variation of receiver....

Last edited by Sako; 04/07/07.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oregon,
The bolt may not be the original one that was manufactured with the action. I could be a pre-war bolt.(you really got to ask the experts on this one if it is possible to mate the two)
My 64(1957)had a different bolt and I had the same problem with the safety. I had Redneck readjust and fine tune it. It now works great.
Some members said that the safety may need cleaning which may be true.
Does the serial numbers to both the action and bolt match?

Heeman

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
The serial number on the bolt matches the rifle, it is scrawled on with an electric pencil. I got the safety to work by putting some penetrating oil into its recess and slowly working it back; I'm still going to disassemble and thoroughly clean it later today.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Oregon 45, the year of mfg should be on the bottom side of the barrel , just forward of the reciever, I have a 47 model 70 in 270 cal. Ken

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What you have there is the most desireable model of M70 ever made IMHO! The bolt looks original to the receiver as they only made that safety for about a year. They mated them to modified Pre-War receivers that were drilled & tapped from the factory.

These guns had all the quality of Pre-War guns while still being able to mount scopes on them.

Your stock has obviosly been cut for a recoil pad which would detract from it's value but in the shape it's in I would put it's value at $1000 to $1500.

As a side note I collect transition era M70's which were made in 47, 48 and 49. My father ordered a M70 in ,47 after he got out of the Army and they were in such demand that by the time he finally got one it was in 1949 and was a post war version. So he ordered a pre-war and got a post war.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oregon: I have one exactly like it. SAKO's post is on the money for information on your rifle.They were jewels;enjoy it.

BOB

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is sweet.Good deal

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a fine rifle. I have two transitionals. One in 300 HH and another in 375 HH. You got a good deal as well.

Congrats!

-Steve

Carpe' Scrotum
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Man, what a beautiful gun, but it is used, I'll give you $150 plus shipping.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Ha! This one's not for sale; this is one of the few guns I have ever held that I haven't begun imagining what I can turn it into. Even the pad works out as the LOP is just right; the trigger is great and the action is smooth. This gun will get a receiver sight and a case of ammunition and nothing more.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh,man...I 've never seen a pre-64 that I did not want to own;musta been imprinted as a child....or dropped!

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Now that the rains have eased up a bit, here are some more pictures. Without the scope the gun handles much better; I'm thinking either a receiver sight or a set of Talley lightweights and a Leupold M8 3x or one of my Weaver K3s or K2.5s would work well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both a pre-war (with backward safety on the left side and a transition in 270 just as the 06 in the pics. I really dislike the safety on the transiton, it seems to be sharp and painful to the thumb but can't bring myself to change it. Would like to change the one on my custom 06 pre-war model as the left side is awkward to use but just haven't done that either. Procrastination, ain't it wonderful.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ZIM: I used to fiddle with them;can't bring myself to do it anymore.Just use them the way they come,wood,safeties,etc.I think you won't mess with yours cause you realize,you ain't gonna improve on them very much!They just work the way the factory made them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oregon: You have that low comb,so I think you might want to get the scope as low as possible;the Talleys,tho nice,may mount the scope a bit high.Consider a standard Leupold mount with rear extension,and a pair of Leupold super-low rings,with a 2.5 Leup.compact.They make the rings,I have a set.The 2.5 is a small scope with real long eye relief,and I think the bolt handle will clear the rear lense housing.I have one on my 375.Make a real fast-handling,both eyes-open outfit without being too heavy.Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.