-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can always load the cartridge down, if needed. Some people are only happy with top loaded ammo all the time. But say you want to start your son with a center fire for deer hunting. He starts hunting in farm groves and such and after perhaps ten years he's in the mountains hunting bigger animals and at longer distance.
You can load a 300 Win Mag to 300 savage level to start and up to 300 Win Mag when needed. Of course there's others that like more rifles, such as me. But getting a bigger cartridge is more flexible.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/27/15.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bigger is better.Ask the ladies!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To answer the op get a copy of
African Rifles and Cartridges by
John Taylor. The Gun Room Press
copy right 1948 Reprint 1977
whelennut

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just my $.02 but I think we should really look at rifles in therms of game classes. For example in the NA we really only have two classes of "Big Game" and I would group them as medium which would be deer, blk bear, sheep, goats, caribou and elk. Other than those we really only have 4 heavy game animals: bison, muskOx, moose and the great bears. On the medium class a larger cartridge really gets you marginal increments in results because most of our medium capacity rounds say .243-30-06 are more than enough to handle them effectively. On the heavy game animals bigger probably gives you some additional edge over the medium capacity rounds but within the larger rounds say from 300 mag to 375 you probably have plenty of oomph to take any of the heavy game so the incremental results are probably not that great. Now we can argue a bit over the very extremes such as a .243 on really large elk or maybe 30-06 on key deer in Florida etc. but if you want to argue 6.5x55 vs 7mm08 or 30-06 well you are probably wasting time you s/b hunting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I
Originally Posted by bangeye
Just my $.02 but I think we should really look at rifles in therms of game classes. For example in the NA we really only have two classes of "Big Game" and I would group them as medium which would be deer, blk bear, sheep, goats, caribou and elk. Other than those we really only have 4 heavy game animals: bison, muskOx, moose and the great bears. On the medium class a larger cartridge really gets you marginal increments in results because most of our medium capacity rounds say .243-30-06 are more than enough to handle them effectively. On the heavy game animals bigger probably gives you some additional edge over the medium capacity rounds but within the larger rounds say from 300 mag to 375 you probably have plenty of oomph to take any of the heavy game so the incremental results are probably not that great. Now we can argue a bit over the very extremes such as a .243 on really large elk or maybe 30-06 on key deer in Florida etc. but if you want to argue 6.5x55 vs 7mm08 or 30-06 well you are probably wasting time you s/b hunting.

I agree with most of this.... Can you really hunt a Key Deer? Would a 243 be enough on a kinda large Elk?

Last edited by bonefish; 03/27/15.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
...but would you have hunted those things with a 30-06? Sure, there are things you should hunt with a 338/340/375, but but they're in a different class of cartridges than the 6.5x55 to 30-06. The question is not whether the 340 WM is more powerful than the 6.5x55 - it certainly is - but whether the critters we choose to hunt with the 30-06 show any greater effects with the '06 than the 6.5.

I always believed the bigger hole made a quicker kill, but look at Mule Deer's 24 Jan 07 post on the Scandinavian alg study (the comments are his):

Code
Scandinavian Moose (Alg) Study, per John Barsness in 24-Hour Campfire			
24-Jan-07			

This is not about bullet construction. Here are some of the
 numbers from the Norwgian moose survey:			

Cartridge	Animals	# of Shots	Moose Travel*
6.5x55 	          2,792	   1.57	             43
7mm Rem. Mag. 	    107	   1.32	             40
.308 WCF	  1,314	   1.67	             41
.30-06 	          2,829	   1.57	             47
.300 Win. Mag. 	     27	   1.83	             16
8x57 	            575	   1.53	             57
.338 Win. Mag. 	     83	   1.20	             31
.358 Norma 	    219	   1.16	             19
9.3x57	            134	   1.50	             41
9.3x62 	            449	   1.50	             34
.375 H&H 	    211	   1.33	             31

*how far moose went after first shot			

This list makes the .300 and .338 Winchester Magnums lok pretty
 good--but note the low number of moose killed with each. 			
Also the .358 Norma beats the .338--and with a more statisically
 significant number.			
The two calibers with the most valid statistics are the 6.5x55
 and .30-06. Look at those closely.	

There doesn't appear to be any real difference between the 6.5x55 and the 30-06, which is why I asked the question - what effects make the '06 preferable?

Jaywalker

200 gr Partitions at 2700 fps in a cool pre-64 Super-Grade rifle would do it for me. smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
To come up with a decent answer to this question we're looking at the wrong end of the cartridge/game spectrum.

Look at the little critters and shooting them with different guns and you can see more clearly how this works and why.

A chipmunk shot with a pellet gun will often just have a hole through it with even "fast" pellets and caliber doesn't seem to matter between .17, .20 or .22. You get some with a hole through them and some run off.

Start shooting them with .17 or .224 bullets and speed will vaporize them. As you move up through squirrels, chucks, porcupines, raccoons and coyotes, things begin to change. Even a 30-06 with fragile bullets won't reliably vaporize a porcupine or raccoon like a 35 grain VMax will a chipmunk or red squirrel.

What we're really trying to discuss is when does killing power move from reliably adequate to reliable overkill. Relatively fragile bullets in 50 BMG or 20/30 mm would probably be pretty hard on deer of any size, but might be noticeably less hard on moose and bigger. They would likely produce results more inline with small varmints and .224 center fires on smaller things like raccoons and porcupines. I know a 30-06 with even fragile bullets won't vaporize them like a red squirrel.

When you drop below the reliable overkill threshold, then a lot of other factors begin to come into play. There's nothing in NA that I couldn't kill with a .223 and today's tough bullets. Discussions of people having a bad time of it with large dangerous things like polar/brown bears must of necessity be selective for poor/excellent use of the weapons involved.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Recoil, mussel blast, and more powder usage..

Billy

Turn em loose ...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lot of assumptions here. Some good and some maybe not so correct. One only has to compare the numbers on the study for some answers. One thing is very clear though, all the results were provided by hunters whose marksmanship abilities met or exceeded a proscribed std. You can't shoot ,you can't hunt period for moose in Sweden. Next as to the answer to the OP's question on whether there is any difference in lethality between the 6.5x55 and the 30-06 not much ,it took the same amount of rds per animal with these 2 cartridges but the ones shot with the SWEDE got dead quicker. 4 whole yards traveled less. A little higher rds per animal with the 308 than the 06 or the Swede but even less travel with the 308. Your basic toss up. Simply amazing but blaringly right in print from the study results is that to increase your lethality from 6.5x55 you have to step up in caliber and down in in caliber from 30 to yes the 7mm Rem Magnum. Fewer hits needed by far and less traveled distance from the shot. You want to improve the 7mm Rem Mag's lethality you have to jump to the 338 Win Mag or the 358 Norma. It's all in the study, read it. The study shows the 375 is never wrong, fact is the study shows all mentioned are adequate. Why do you suppose that the study does not list any weeny guns and magic bullets? A lot of opinions on this forum badmouthing the 7 mm Mag when the blame for it not being used effectively should be on the shoulders of those not competent in Marksmanship using it. I find it somewhat amusing that the 7 mm detractors are all sleeping in or out to lunch on this thread. Magnum Man

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Real magnums start at 375 and above!!! shocked

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
JJHACK's bullet reports showed reaction from the Hornady InterBond, but little from the TSX, both in 30-06.

Of the animals I have dispatched with a .284 140 TTSX there was no apparent reaction from the hit. They croaked, yes.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Any cartridge selection has "wiggle room" either side of it, which is the GACK component popular on the internet.

Also, people love to read an article that praises their chosen cartridge and makes them feel superior in their choice and wisdom on the matter. Endorsement builds following, hence the two ballistic theorem popularized by JOC and Keith.

Then, there is observation that instills opinion.

I "see" 3 thresholds where bullet impact meets a new point in visibility. They are:
1. .30/06
2. .375 H&H
3. .460 Weatherby.

Interestingly, they all approximate each other in velocity ranges therefore the real difference between them is caliber and bullet weight.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, critters show more "reaction" to a quicker-expanding bullet in any caliber than the monos. I'm not convinced that they die any quicker, but they stagger more.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'm not convinced that they die any quicker, but they stagger more.

For sure.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
Bigger is better.Ask the ladies!!

Placement matters. Sometimes reaching...vitals - only takes 1/3 the potential wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, if you put it in those terms, even a ............handgun will work.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Generally speaking....with a variety of bullet types, my experience has been that caribou will tip over quicker with something like a 7mm-08 than they will when shot with a 6mm/243. (And I’ve killed a couple truckloads, at least, with both.)

I’ve only run 7 or 8 bullets from 6.5x55 or 7mm-08 into 3 moose - and they died without undue drama. However, the 30-06 which I’ve used on over a dozen moose with a variety of bullets - generally in the classic ribcage type location- has been significantly more positive in effect.

FWIW as it relates to Scandinavian moose hunts, there seem to be a fair number of rather smallish (600-800 pound) animals in the mix. Smaller moose are nowhere near as formidable when it comes to the projectiles needed to get well inside. Neither are the smaller animals as difficult to put down. It seems to me that once a certain threshold is met, more ‘power’ really doesn’t get much additional effect, perhaps until you reach a scale where by you’re beginning to simulate prairie dog type energy effects.

Of course a person who makes brainer shots is not going to see any difference between the 223 and the 460 (although he might shoot a bit less precisely with the latter from time to time for a variety of reasons.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One of my favorites, is the 9.3X62 also have used the 6.5X55 and 6.5X57. All work well. At higher velocities the smaller rounds cause more meat damage. More explosive hits. With the 9.3X62 I do not have too much recoil, and it has proven to stop most game in it's tracks with little to no meat damage. At least for Whitetails and Mule Deer. Have also used the 8mm Mauser and 30-06. It really depends on the bullet, velocity, and the game one is trying to take. For myself I have found for the most part in woods hunting where long range is not an issue bigger is indeed better.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Maybe I can tag along and clean up the gut pile!
Larry

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.