-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've also found the Prvi's to be accurate in my rifle (a CZ 550). They shoot to the same point of impact as my 286 gr Woodleigh RN load. The Prvi load did take one more grain of RL-15 to come up to the same velocity as my Woodleigh load. (Not a big deal, of course.) I run them both right at 2400 fps. I don't know if I'd hunt with the Prvi bullets but they're great for practice at the range. (The Prvi bullets would probably work fine on the relatively smaller whitetail deer we have here in Texas but I haven't tried it.)

-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
GB1

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice looking rifle.

It would look even sweeter with a VX11 2-7x33 or similar on it!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I got 100 from Graf & Sons and 100 Graf brass. They, combined with R15 powder, shoot a ragged hole out of my old Husqvarna 649. They seem very soft, but are just fine for 9,3X62 velocities, IMO.

You are right on the money with the softness of those bullets as well as Rel 15 powder.I use Rel 15 for my 9.3x64 and the 62 now and i love it.I did shy away from them bonded bullets,when driving them at relatively slow 9.3x62 speeds,as the game i will be hunting with this rifle is heavy-bodied White tails and Blackbears.For Moose and Elk in open areas i exclusively use my 64 and Accu-bonds.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by mlg
Nice looking rifle.

It would look even sweeter with a VX11 2-7x33 or similar on it!

You Aussies like them little scopes,eh :)I do agree with you.After i am done all my shooting sessions for my load-developments,i ,most likely will change to a smaller scope.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice shootin iron.

Bevan King is a Canadian barrel maker, correct? I wonder if there is any red tape involved in obtaining one of his barrels in the States.

IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice shooter!

Tha oughta whack'em good!

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by JAC43
Nice shootin iron.

Bevan King is a Canadian barrel maker, correct? I wonder if there is any red tape involved in obtaining one of his barrels in the States.

Yeah,that's right.You could give him a call.Ph:1-250-786-5200.He does a great job and all barrels i ever got of him shoot superb.Don't know,what the deal is with sending barrels to the states?on the other hand,you fellas have some great barrel-makers down there.Would not be much of a problem to rig one up in the US.Good luck,if you are getting one made.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by JAC43
Nice shootin iron.

I think Bevan has retired recently, he supplied my brother with barrels and has been talking retirement and moving back to Australia.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Really nice rifle. I like the stock a lot.Anybody used the cartridge in Africa on buffalo? How did it do? Sure this has been discussed before,but I missed it.Thanks.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bobin,

I have used the 9,3X74R on several buffalo, and they are both dead, while I'm still alive. wink

The 9,3X62 can be loaded up from the 9,3X74R and works for buffalo just fine, if you do your job. Neither are "stoppers", but the PH would be behind or next to you with a stopper. The better 9,3s do just as well as a 375 for the most part, IMO. Old goat roper, Ray Atkinson, uses the 9,3X62 a lot for buffalo, and he loves his buffalo hunting.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
luv2: Thanks for the feedback. I have read it's fine for the job,but always good to speak with someone who has "been there" as they say.Seems the cartidge has some distinct advantages over our homegrown 35 Whelan (this may get me in trouble)in therms of bullet weight,etc.Have often thought it would be the cartridge to go to if I reach a point where the 375 becomes too tough to deal with. Not there yet, but you gotta think about these things.Thanks for your time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bobin,

As much as I like my original Rem Classic 35 Whalen, I'll be selling it, as I feel my 9,3s are better for my particular purposes. If hunting only in North America, I would just have the 35 Whalen, but I need something legal for DG in some areas of Africa like the 9,3X62.

I'll have the 35 Whalen for sale as soon as I inventory all that goes with it...dies, brass, ammo, bullets... It has the original walnut stock with the action and barrel channel glassed and a factory Rem Synthetic stock.

Brenneke is joining a growing fraternity. Its amazing how these 100 year old rounds are gaining a foothold here, at long last.

Last edited by luv2safari; 04/27/07.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Bobin,

Brenneke is joining a growing fraternity. Its amazing how these 100 year old rounds are gaining a foothold here, at long last.

Sorry mate.I joined the 9.3mm fraternity 20 years ago ,when i bought my first 9.3x64 at a tender age of 16.I do agree with you,though.The 9.3mm are moving in at a fast pace.i surely hope those bullet maker pay heed to this new development.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brenneke,

We're not doing too bad for bullets now. We have Speer, Previ, Woodleigh, Barnes, Nosler, and Swift to pick from. Not too bad for an "obscure" and almost "obsolete" metric. wink

By the way, I was about to buy a 9,3X64 Brenneke when the new 375 Ruger was announced. I HAD to buy 'Murrican, and went for the Ruger. I didn't divest of the 9,3X62 or the 9,3X74Rs, however. As a matter of fact, I just sent off my 512S DT Tikka Receiver to have a set of new FinnClassic 9,3X74R barrels fitted. I can't seem to move laterally much from .366 to .375...a rut I don't mind staying in. grin

What rifle is/was your 9,3X64?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Luv2: It'll go on any 30/06 action. Is that correct?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
@luv2safari
My 9.3x64 is a Steyr Mannlicher ST with a Heavy Barrel 25.5" long and a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Tactical scope.I use it for shooting at extended ranges here in BC,especially when i hunt in Grizzly country and that's about 99% of all my hunting.The rifle is super accurate at extended range and i never had a single animal go more than a few steps.It doesn't matter what i feed her and i testet pretty much every 9.3 bullet there is,she always shoots under 1MOA,most of the time, way better.This is truly my hunting companion and i would never get rid of it.It seems you like them 9.3s as much as i do?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bobin,

The 9,3X64 will work in a standard length action, but the action needs a little work, much like if chambering for the 375 Ruger. The 9,3X62 will probably just need a properly installed and headspaced 9,3X62 barrel. I'm sending off a 30-06 Husqvarna for re-boring to 9,3 mm. I need to decide whether to have it chambered for the 62 or the 64; it will probably 9,3X62.

If not for the advent of the 375 Ruger, I would have a 9,3X64 Brenneke right now. I would say that it is about the best all around round ever conceived, or was until the 375 Ruger. I wish I owned Brenneke's rifle, and he had a better one. cool

D
D

Bought my first 9.3x62 last summer, a full stock CZ 550 with a 20.5 inch barrel ,for a boar and Red Deer hunt in Germany . I put a leupold 1.5x5x20 with an illuminated ,circle dot reticle on it and took it deer hunting before I left for Germany .
I managed to take a nice buck but was worried about he damage that I had done to the meat. the load I had worked up was a 250 grn. Barns tsx .To make a long story short ,as the elastomer's say ,you could eat right up to the hole .
I did take 3 Red deer and 2 boar while in Germany ,all but one with one shot .
I sure like this little rifle , perfect for driven Game hunts. Now I'm about to build its bigger brother a 9.X64 brenneke ,just to get a little more range .
I have heard it said that the 9.3x62 is a 200 yard gun . I brought back some Norma 232 grn. bullets that I want to work up a load for . I think I can stretch it out a bit .

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
To be honest,the 9.3x62 is not just a 200yd gun and the 232 gr Norma bullet with its BC of.330 is the wrong choice for longer shots.You could not savely load the 232gr fast enough to compete with the 250gr BT or Accubond with its BC of .494.Driven with a speed of say 2550f/sec(just to be save) it will outperform the Norma bullet with a V0 of 2650f/sec.I know you can load them up a bit faster and with longer barrels,but i just took an average and sound speed for the 9.3x62.
For me,long shots mean having the proper scope for the job at hand ie.Targetknobs or Hashmarks (TDS or Mil Dots).I,recently,shot my 9.3x62 at 500yds and it shoots 5 shot groups of 3"-4.25",depending on me and wind.
To the 9.3x64.I can only say it won't disappoint you.Inherently very accurate and sometimes very spectacular on Moose.It is one of the best cartridges ever made.Good luck with that 9.3x64.

@L2Safari
I sure hope,you will get yourself a 9.3x64.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 270 gr. speer is a soft bullet driven at 9.3x62 velocity of 2600 FPS plus in my 26" barrel gun..They do come apart like a bomb on mule deer.

The 286 Nosler is a very tough bullet and will work on anything.

The 250 gr. monolithics are good. I used the GS Customs, but the Barnes X will probably work

The Northforks are great bullets. I used the flat nose solids and cup points on buff and they both worked well, I like the Cup Points the best. Their softs are great bullets in any caliber.

I also like the Woodleigh 320 gr RN soft and solids in my 26 inch barrel pushed at max velocity, but not in a 24 inch gun, you need all the extra velocity you can get with that big long bullet and the extra 2 inches actually makes a difference IMO...

The 9.23x62 is a great caliber and will come within 75 to a 100 FPS of a 9.3x64 without the blast and recoil.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 3,334 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.