Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atkinson
Jeff,
As to the "Texas heart shot", I don't know of a quicker killing shot if you use enough gun. other than brain or spine.. I don't know why anyone would hesitate to use it. The black timber is thick, nasty and dark, they jump close and are going south fast, what would you suggest, that I just quit hunting them?

Atkinson,

I think you mis-read my post. I said:

"I've never taken a Texas Heart Shot (THS) and hope I never do, but part of why it's effective, and they say it's very effective, is that the liver is a vital organ, one, and that the sheer, pathetic, overwhelming trauma of being shot up the a$$ with a high-powered rifle tends to make the shoot-ee give up and lay down, two. Imagine the punch in the gut THAT must be. It's not supposed to be pleasant for the shooter either, involving very sick animals in a lot of pain, and a very messy cleanup job afterwards possibly to include ruined tenderloins. But they go down.

All that said, if I can visualize a straight path to the vitals I would take the shot with my .338... possibly even to include the THS. Call it what you will, elk hunting is very hard work... VERY hard work... and for many of us a low-percentage affair bordering on insane obsession. When you finally get a shot at an animal it'd be a shame to have to pass it up for lack of gun, of all things."

In the first part I say, I've heard it's a very effective killing shot (but a messy cleanup); in the second part I say that I'll take about any shot angle with my .338, even to include the THS.

With the right rifle and bullet in my hands, I'd take a THS. But I hope I never have to. From what I'm told, it's miserable for the animal and a real mess come gutting time.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sorry, I did misread your post and I apoligise for that, and hope I was polite in my answer to you, I thought I was, after all these are only conversations in print, but the printed word has no emotion and sometimes comes across poorly.

As for messy, gutting an animal is messy, but I have done it so many times it does not bother me one way or the other to clean one, even gut shot. I do like to get them washed out with either water or snow.

rest assured they are normally dead by the time you get to them and if not a second shot is quick to end it. I have been told by veternerians that animals flush with adrenaline and pain levels get quit low. I was curious about this as I have observed Lions eating buffalo that were still alive and the buffalo were rather calm about the whole thing. Also I have shot moose and had them continue to graze!! so I inquired.

In many instances mortally wounded animals continue to live in seemingly no particular discomfort, some fight you and others run off and get in the herd and continue their life cycle of eating, cud chewing, and sleeping.

For what is worth.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No worries! I could tell you just mis-read it.

I wish I lived in a state where it was realistic to kill an elk every year, or almost. It's a tough, low-percentage hunt in Oregon. Tough is fine, but the low-percentage part gets old.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My one and only experience with a THS was an 80# coues whitetail buck at 125 yds with a 1st generation 165 grain Balliistic Tip out of my 300 Wby. It did NOT kill the deer and ruined 3 of the 4 quarters. I had to put a finisher in when I got up to him. He was down instantly but very much alive. Truly a case of using the wrong medicine for that job!

I wouldn't hesitate to use it now if I were trophy hunting and using a good bullet- I just haven't had an opportunity since! Dang!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh man.... not a pretty image... 80# deer meets BT up the pooper from a large magnum... bleah!

One of my elk camp buddies came across a wounded buck and decided to finish and tag it. He shot it at about 20 yards with a 150 Ballistic Tip from a 300 WSM. Lost both shoulders. D'oh!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For some reason the board wouldn't let me edit my post so I will follow-up

What I wouldn't hesitate to use now is the THS- not the Ballistic Tip!!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't doubt the ballistic tip is a good deer bullet, used properly (broadside shots or nearly so), but my one experience was with a heavy-for-caliber BT from a 7mm-08, and it was still way too explosive for my tastes. That was with a 150 from a 20" barrel. Blew a fist-size chunk of meat off the animal's neck.

I much prefer Accubonds. They are now my bullet of choice.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This is a prime example of irresponsible behavior that gives all hunters a bad name. Good shot placement is certainly VERY important and a properly-placed shot will anchor any game.

But, you can just not guarantee a properly-placed shot under all circumstances. Even a well aimed shot can strike bone or thick grissel that will prevent proper expansion and deep penetration.

Even a properly placed 30-06 (180+ grain bullet) may strike bone and not penetrate deeply - the game is left to a painful death, unless good tracking is successful.

I just can not say enough about the irresponsible behavior exhibited here, at least on the part of the adult responsible for her.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed with everything except the 30-06 part.... if you use proper bullets, '06 will penetrate any bone any elk has in it's body. Use a deer bullet and maybe not.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,129 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.