Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dick,

Thanks for the response. Looks like I am the one who stands corrected.

I guess that it was just fortunate coincidence that the Mtn Rifle patterns I got several years back were all in the 28oz range, and recent ones have all been 32oz+.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunch is that some of the guys at McMillan may have taken it upon themselves to fill lighter when "light as possible" was specified, but it was not McMillans company policy to do so.

Agian, this is only a hunch, so Dick, don't crucify me if I'm wrong.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If we could only get gelcoat finishes on the edge stocks....

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
It's still not clear to me.

I just got off the phone with a customer service gal(didn't catch her name) at Mcmillan
I explained to her what Dick posted regarding fill weights and calibers(338 and up-Magnum fill, standard calibers up to the big 30 calibers-Standard fill)

Her response to me was that my 300 win mag had to be put into a stock with magnum fill and that a standard fill would not hold up under recoil. She also said that that was the only way they have ever done it unless I wanted to go the EDGE route.( this was the same response I recieved when I called 2 months ago and asked which fill I needed). Now I'm hearing I could have saved 6 ounces on fill weight and that my stock is already to far along in the production process to change things.

I'm surely not wanting to create a problem for anyone in customer service at McMillan but the gal I talked to seemed confused when I mentioned 338 cal vs 30 cal and I got the feeling that to her a magnum was a magnum. Sounds like I'm SOL because personnel at McMillan are not on the same page.

Having said all that, can someone tell me offhand what an average walnut stock on a remington 700 or winchester 70 long action BDL weighs?(ie; is a 36 oz McMillan going to be lighter than the original wood that was on this rifle?

Leftybolt

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Off subject a little...how can I check the status of an order from Ric's Christmas sale? I would love to get my hands on my A3.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Guys, guys, guys,
I just have a meeting with all the ladies that handle the orders and all of them know that we only put magnum fill in stocks for calibers in the range of the bigger .338's and up.
They all know that the .30's do not require this and do not tell customers that. Lynne remembers an customer calling about this yesterday or this morning and asking about this and wanting to change an order. The order is a 24hourcampfire order thru Rick and we do not change these orders. The order from Rick (from December) nsaid "Magnum fill" and that is how we have to do it. Only Rick can change any order he has in, and, to the best of our ability we do not discuss these orders with anyone but Rick. So don't call and ask about them, we only discuss orders with the person who placed them with us.
No disrespect intended Leftybolt, but all the ladies are quite knowledgeable about this and would not have told a customer this, unless it was just a mis-understanding about terminology.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CAS
the Mtn Rifle patterns I got several years back were all in the 28oz range, and recent ones have all been 32oz+.

Yeah, my Mountain Rifle stock in ADL config. got here today (net special)VERY NICE! Now I see what I have been missing! Mine weighs 32 1/4 oz.

WAR EAGLE!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dick, glad to see you are feeling better.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
DickD,

No offense taken. You have a PM.

Leftybolt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another example of why I love this site...

There are other "good" sites and stocks out there...

But for the "best" come to the Campfire and buy McMillans grin

Thanks Rick & Dick

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weight on a new swirl pattern Remington Classic with SA BDL action inlet, 1" Decelerator, and magnum barrel channel: 32.25oz

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I read an old Dogzapper article dating back to 1997 and he referred to a "Canadian Fill" McM stock. That was a new one for me.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtybob1
I read an old Dogzapper article dating back to 1997 and he referred to a "Canadian Fill" McM stock. That was a new one for me.

And I have absolutely no freakin' idea what "Canadian Fill" is. I was simply repeating the words of a gunsmith I was using at the time (Darrell Holland). He was high on that fill and I accepted him at his word.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dogzapper: Maybe Darrell was talking about Whisky? Thats the only Canadian Fill I know.

Hey BTW, I peaked under the skin of the Holland 7-08AI I bought last year from your friend Steve, and to my surprise there is a Blue McSquirrely underneath.

Last edited by Dirtybob1; 05/11/07.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Rick,
I guess I may be stirring the pot somewhat with my comment and inquiry. You told me some time back that the Edge could very likely be inletted for my Wby MK V. I did not take you up on the offer because there is no place I can go to handle one of these or any other McMillan for that matter. Eventually, the Wby was custom stocked by Match Grade Arms in Spring, Tx. The design chosen was the 700 Classic, no cheek piece. My stock weighs 20 ounces. I really like it.
That was the comment, now for the inquiry:
Is there someway one could obtain a McM of a certain design simply to handle it and then return it? I am very interested in the Mountain Rifle stock JPro posted a pic of for my 3 Rem's. I would want to handle it, however, before I plunk down my "sawmill dollars."

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Reloder28,

If you don't find a solution with Ric, I have some McMillan's you are welcome to come over and handle. I currently have rifles stocked with a McMillan Sporter and a McMillan Classic plus I have a McMillan Mountain Rifle pattern that doesn't have an action in it as yet.

Paul

NRA Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I have also had the factory Remington Mountain Rifle stocks and they feel the same dimensionally as the McMillan. With the exception of some of the outsourced fiberglass handles, most of the 700 stocks that Remington has used in the past fit me well.

Last edited by JPro; 06/08/07. Reason: spelling

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wrote McMillan last year if they inletted patterns other than their Weatherby models for the Mark V action. Their answer was no, with the exception of the tacticals & the HTG.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Did you say a MK V action in an HTG?

I regards to Bansners vs. McMillan I have both stocks and can say that McMillan in my opionion is the better option. Both stocks are much better than factory, however, I personally have a problem with a stock that lacks checkering and is slick. As much as i love the Mark Bansner rifle I hate the fact that on cold damp mornings that the stock seems very slippery. Other than this the stock is ridged and of high quality.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 3,112 guests, and 1,432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.