Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shane,

How do you keep the bedding material from locking up the bolts in the action? Do you stuff the holes on the action and the stock with wax and the bolts?

My 7-08 wears a Mickey but I think I'll experiment on the HS first.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Yes, plenty of release agent on the bolts, bolt threads, and all over the receiver, to include in the bolt holes.

Enough bedding seeped around the bolts that they had to be unscrewed through the bedding compound, but that was very easy to do, then just drilled the excess bedding out of the bolt holes in the stock.

The bedding I used was fairly thick. Kinda like peanut butter or cake frosting. Not really prone to much running, but the clamping forces of bolting the receiver into the stock do force the excess bedding into the paths of least resistance.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
The first always requires the most courage, but it looks like it turned out all right. One suggestion I might make is that you consider using surgical tubing wrapped around the action and stock to provide the pressure rather than the action screws. Not a bunch of wraps--just a couple. That is supposed the reduce the likelihood of creating stresses. I would also invest in stockmakers T-screws. They are a lot easier to work with instead of the action screws.

But nice job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by utah708
The first always requires the most courage, but it looks like it turned out all right. One suggestion I might make is that you consider using surgical tubing wrapped around the action and stock to provide the pressure rather than the action screws. Not a bunch of wraps--just a couple. That is supposed the reduce the likelihood of creating stresses. I would also invest in stockmakers T-screws. They are a lot easier to work with instead of the action screws.

But nice job.

Ditto on the surgical tubing and and stockmakers screws. Have done it that way for many years. Snug the tubing up well but nowhere near as tight as w/action screws.

Devcon works as you now know but Acraglass Gel has been my bedding compound of choice....if you feel the need to add strength to it, it mixes well with either stainless or aluminum.

You always seem to be very organized with your loading info, data, etc. so I'm not at all surprised that your 1st effort cam out well.....just wondering why it took you so long to give it a try.

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
.....just wondering why it took you so long to give it a try.

MM

Just didn't have a need until recently. My 30-06 was bedded by Iron Brigade Armory. They do a first-class job. The .308 shot consistent sub .5 moa in the unbedded A5. This HTG was a different story though. Inconsistent, and loose enough that a slap to either side of the buttstock would pop the barrel against the opposite side of the barrel channel. Soooo, I figured it was high time to have a go at bedding.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shane,

Sound like you maybe need a few more toys to monkey around with.........

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I had over a dozen rifles and necked it down to five. Two 700s, two AR15s, and a 10/22.

But, now I've got two empty McMillan stocks that need employment. So there will be more in the future.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.