Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been hearing about them over in Sconnie for a few years now, but I didn't know that they are that far north. I haven't heard of any in Minnesota yet, but I'm thinking that there has to be a population somewhere. They'll be a hell of a lot easier to control here than they are in Texas.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck on that notion.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bucktail
They'll be a hell of a lot easier to control here than they are in Texas.

Not disagreeing, you may be right. Just wondering what your rationale is.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just don't think that there is enough winter forage for them in the winter to support the population densities that Texas has. I don't think that more than one litter/year will be big enough to make the winter (granted, 9 pigs/year could still get away from you pretty fast).

Set them free again
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Peterbuilt, if you ever find yourself over run with them, shoot me an email. Have gun; will travel.

Set them free again
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
we got em here
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim,
"I haven't heard of any huntable populations in Alaska yet."

Back in the 70s an enterprising soul decided to release hogs on an island off Kodiak. His motive was logging hog-girdled trees...

They are still there and huntable. Problem is access. The island has a Steller sea lion pull-out that is off-limits to boats and such for several miles offshore. On the inside the edges of the exclusion zone nearly meet at one small byte. That access point is the only way to get at them legally.

For years I have wanted to go out there and do a hog hunt...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....Georgia has plenty,and some real giants too.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The soon to be question will be what states don't have feral hogs.
Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oklahoma certainly has a huntable population. My bud stationed at Ft Sill takes slugs with him to take them while squirrel hunting.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking at the distribution map they say we have hogs in S.Az. I know that the Peloncillos in the SE corner have them. Read articles about the Gray's ranch in SW NM having them and a few lucky guys could find them on the public lands on in both states.

Many years ago I heard the Buenos Aires Ranch run the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service had them. Buenas Aires is near the border east of Sasabe. Steve Debrott was the manager and I was told if I saw them to shoot a few. I found where they had been rooting but never found any. That was 15 yrs ago.

The map must be highlighting an entire county if any are within.
Much of the green zone in the SW is within the Tohono O'odham resservation.

I will ask G and F what they know this week.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya'll will know for sure you got a "Good" population when the local testosterone heavy adventure seekers start offering the "ultimate hunting experience". A buddy used to take his young buck customers on these trips upstream from me around Vernon Texas in the Red River bottoms where they would put some hounds down to find'em and bay'em up after seing hog tracks cutting a "road", then the catch dogs were put down and you tried to stay up with them, then the idea was when the catch dogs had the hog sufficiently "secured" the hog - usually one or more on each hind leg & jones, couple on the hogs nose & ears and so one and still alive...and then you are ...if YOU got the Jones ...supposed to crawl into this wild four footed maelstrom showdown ...over the hogs back and either slit his throat or make sushi of his innards with a pig sticker length Bowie knife...and meantime pray the dogs don't let go or mistake your hand or leg for hog fur. Supposed to be a LOT of fun but my buddy sez he cheats and uses a 44Mag and tickles the hogs ear hole with it. We got so many hogs you got to do something to keep it exciting I guess.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not my kind of sport....I much prefer stand hunting 'em. I don't do ticks, stickers, or snakes.

All American

All the time
J
J
Any wild hogs in eastern North Carolina?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JONDEVLDOG
Any wild hogs in eastern North Carolina?

A few (thousand).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How is that feeder working without the spinner?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good eye Hack! wink I put out a deer block (to attract deer). I left the feeder out there empty so critters would get accustomed to it. The motors are still in my garage. I even have the hole taped up to keep wasps out.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a picture of a hogs ass with mud dripping off it and a picture of one of the deer blocks (not necessarily in that order) grin.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was worried about 200lbs of feed( 4 sacks) in mine, seemed just a bit wobbley. However the more feed the more steady it is, by a whole lot. The legs will sink quite a bit in dry dirt, consider some of the footing issues you may have before the whole works goes over on you. It's also easy to fill standing on the back rack of my Yamaha 450 ATV.

I would like it to sling the corn a bit further, but it's probably okay. I was hoping for about 20-25foot diameter, I'm getting about 14-16 foot on the outside edge. Most of it is about 10foot or less. I did not want any game bumping into those legs by spending too much time under it.

Other then that, those Feeders are as good as I have used. If you hear about a different paddle or spinner setup that will sling the corn about twice the distance be sure to let me know.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 55 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.