Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,319 of 1,842 1 2 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I handled a 3-9 40mm in a store and I thought it felt... gritty...

I don't know. I sure want to like them.

Something clever here.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I handled a 3-9 40mm in a store and I thought it felt... gritty...

I don't know. I sure want to like them.

I'm surprised too. I have the 3-9 40mm with Accu-Range Reticle on my Ruger 22-250. I love that scope and it was half price of the Leupold. VERY clear and the eye releif is great on it. Now when Redfield was made in China, they were JUNK but now that their made in Oregon by Leupold they are much better IMO.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The accu-reticle doesn't do much for me but I don't shoot all that far to find it useful. maybe I got lucky on the scope.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surprises me about the Redfields. Quite frankly, I've never been impressed with the Refields, especially the older ones. I think the Weavers were better products. I've looked through a couple Revolutions and was impressed with the quality of the view and just plain liked the scopes. We've got a Leupie I on one of our rifles and it is very hard to adjust the magnification on it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
well if you guys like em, i'll have another look. maybe I was fumbling with a dud.

Something clever here.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a bunch of leupys and love them. Plus, the pricing is so good. $380 for the VX3 4.5-14X40. and just the fact that they support Firearm Safety Instructors makes me loyal to them as well.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I may have a lemon too and I may send it back and have it check . I have a Redfield 4x12 Golden Five Star that's about 17/18 years old and it's the best scope I've ever had .

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a rev for about 2.5 hours. what a POS. Only thing going on my rifle (in my normal budget) in order are 1. Leupy vx3, Bushnell elite, vortex viper

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by acooper1983
I had a rev for about 2.5 hours. what a POS. Only thing going on my rifle (in my normal budget) in order are 1. Leupy vx3, Bushnell elite, vortex viper
Key words there were "in my normal budget" For me, the Revolution fits a little better in that area than the VX II and I don't care for the VX I. Got one of those on my son's rifle and am not overly impressed with it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I also have an old school USA made Redfield. A Partner I think it's called. That scope was the first "expensive" scope I ever bought. It was over $200, iirc, and I boxed a lot of doughnuts, and sliced a lot of bread to get that sucker! It's a 3-9x40. It's a tough, steel tube scope that weighs in at just less than the rifle.

I never can seem to part with it. It goes on all the rifles I get that I can't afford to scope at the time.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had 3 different Redfields over the years and never was overly impressed with them. Leupies are usually out of my budget a bit. I've got an ancient Weaver 3x-9x Accutrac on my old Mauser that's never let me down. It's a big, heavy scope, but it's done good by me. I don't begin to think it's as bright as some of the newer stuff, but it's held up fine for what I've needed it for.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Dave,

I stopped in at your (former) favorite gun store on Sunday and I literally had to ask a guy if I was in the right place. It's gone from a kick ass gun/ammo/hardware store to a homo paint store or sumptin. WTF over?

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
As far as scopes go, you're not going to beat the Leupy's for quality IMO. I have a Vari-x ii on my 7mm that I really like too. The reason I went with the Revolution on the 22-250 was because it was cheaper and very good quality I think. That gun is in the back seat of my truck all winter long so I didn't want to break the bank on optics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Dave,

I stopped in at your (former) favorite gun store on Sunday and I literally had to ask a guy if I was in the right place. It's gone from a kick ass gun/ammo/hardware store to a homo paint store or sumptin. WTF over?

WTF is right. Saddened I am.

I used to love buying from a local store that a neighbor worked at. Great to deal with. That went downhill a few years back.

Can always bring the wifey there to shop for curtains & the kids for skates I guess......

There are still some good local hardware stores that a person can get very close to the same deal as purchasing from a box store in our area.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The guy did say that they would be getting some guns back in the fall when people are more apt to buy.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yah, even the cheapies are brighter than some of the older stuff we liked.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mule1
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Berettaman
GG, I just bought that same rifle, the Ruger American in .243. i am going to use my discount as a Firearm Safety Instructor to buy a Leupold VX3 in 4-14X40. The discount is 45%, so it is pretty affordable. I am really looking forward to shooting it. We should collaborate on what boolits are shooting well or not in it.
I'll start with factory ammo, as I have no brass to reload anyways. If I can't find a factory load I'm happy with, as soon as I accumulate 100 rounds or so of brass, I'll consider reloading. I always start with the cheap stuff first until I work into a load I'm satisfied with. Probably start with standard grade Federal, Remington and Winchester, and move on from there if needed.

Really look the Redfield over good before you buy . I have a Revolution in 4x12 not real happy with it .Its definitely not the same quality as the old Redfield stuff. I will either but a Loupy oy a Nikon next time I know they're or better scopes for the same money .

Just 1.5�

Interesting, particularly as Redfield is now owned & made by "Loupy" !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
checking gunbroker,I see 223 in blue/black, but not any stainless yet.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well guys, turns out I gave out some bogus information here. The rifle I picked up was actually a Savage Axis, not a Ruger All American. I'm still satisfied with the deal,but wish it was the Ruger. There was a whole rack of Rugers and Savages mixed together, and the one I grabbed was a Savage, not a Ruger. Didn't come to light until I went to pay off the lay away last night. My bad-they have very similar styled stocks. I knew what I was getting, I just posted the wrong info here. They did have blued Ruger All Americans for $299.00. I saw them in .308 and there was another one there in 25-06, but that may have been a Savage too now that I think about it. Still happy with my buy. Can't wait to get some glass on this gun and put a few down the tube. Sorry for my rookie mistake guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Nothing wrong with a savage, unless you got something against tiny groups.

Something clever here.

Page 1,319 of 1,842 1 2 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 51 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.