Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,368 of 1,842 1 2 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The x and I got stuck in one in Wausau. It was Labor Day 2001. It drove twigs through our garage door. A house near my office was completely destroyed and the one next to it had the roof. Completely tore off. The one next to that had no damage whatsoever.

I'll never forget that day as long as I live either. It was flat out the beat day fishing I've ever had. We literally caught 100's of walleyes and largemouth bass.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In May of 64 I was pulling KP working the clipper which is a large dishwasher. Around 11:30 one of the cooks went out into the the mess hall and found it empty. He came back into the kitchen and alerted everyone that something was up. Just than one of the guys working on the loading dock came running shouting to come out to the dock. We did and when we looked up a large black cloud with 3 funnels on the trailing edge was passing overhead.

Two of the funnels were small the 3rd one was larger but inverted. One of the small funnels dropped down in a field about 10 miles away in OK and hit a machine shed.

Turns out the AP's (Air Police) had come into the mess hall and evacuated everyone there, but didn't come back and alert those of us in the kitchen area.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hmmm, sounds about right for KP duty.

"You fellers stay here and guard the taters and such."

lol.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Never heard what happened, Dave, but the mess Sgt. was majorly PO'd and went to his commander about the incident.

In hind sight what we did was dumb. A whole bunch of us standing on the loading dock staring up at funnel clouds going golly gee whiz. Look at them tornado funnels Bubba. crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
little update

Bear shot, wounded by police near busy Savage campground has yet to be found

Police shot and wounded a black bear after it ambled about in a crowded campground in Savage, and the injured animal was spotted three days later as the Memorial Day weekend wrapped up but has yet to be tracked down, authorities said Wednesday.

The bear, described by police as 18 months to 2 years old and weighing up to 200 pounds, was confronted by police Friday night behind a home just south of the Town and Country Campground, which sits along Boone Avenue south of 125th Street, said Chief Rodney Seurer.

�The campground was full to capacity,� Seurer said. �Everybody was outside grilling.�

Officers shot and wounded the bear � which had been spotted in Savage several times earlier that day � �and it just took off running,� the chief added. It was last seen Monday morning about a mile to the east crossing Hwy. 13, police said.

Campground owner Dave Olmstead said the bear was seen twice on Friday in the campground.

�Most of our campers were kind of excited to have a bear on the property,� said Olmstead, adding that this is a first for the 46-year-old family-owned business.

Police were called after each sighting, and officers shot and wounded the bear behind a home about 50 to 75 yards from campground, Olmstead said.

Seurer said his department has been in contact with the state Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the message was clear: �When there is food involved and [the bear is] near people, you need to put it down.�

Greg Salo, an enforcement captain with the DNR, said bears �are not like squirrels and rabbits that can coexist with humans in the metro.�

Shooting a wayward bear with a tranquilizer gun and transporting it into its natural habitat is a common suggestion from the public but not practical, Salo added.

�In the big picture, there are a lot of bears,� he said. �Once it�s habituated, eating out of garbage cans and bird feeders, it�s a �problem bear� and it will always do that. Relocating them will not work.�

The fact that the bear is wounded and in a densely populated area does not increase the public's risk, Salo said, "as long as people leave it alone."

Jason Meyer lives about a mile from the campground but didn�t catch a glimpse of the animal.

�My neighbor had seen the bear crossing Hwy. 13 heading towards the campground and posted a photo on the private neighborhood Facebook page I manage,� Meyer said. �After I saw [the photo], I immediately called the campground, who was unaware of the bear�s presence.�

While acknowledging that he doesn�t have specifics about the potential threat that the bear was posing, Meyer said, �I�m disappointed that the bear had to be shot as it did not seem to pose immediate danger.�

Salo said there are typically one or two bear sightings in the metro area by this time every spring, but there have been three or four so far this season.

The DNR says black bears usually try to avoid people, but sometimes clash with humans when eating crops or scrounging in garbage cans and bird feeders.

Chief Seurer said his officers were in the areas Wednesday of the earlier bear sightings hoping to spot the wounded

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
\ everyone says tornadoes can't form in mountains.

Oh ya? grin last Friday....

http://trib.com/news/local/casper/p...ign=hot-topics-2&utm_medium=internal

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear people around here say it, I say don't tempt fate by saying what mother nature CAN'T do

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's just a few miles from us. There was a cougar hanging out down in the river bottoms a few years ago. Not sure if it ended up being the same one, but they shot one in Bloomington by Nine Mile Creek the same year.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey gg, you might know a guy that was involved in the cougar deal in Bloomington. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was involved in a cougar deal once.

GG, what's the story on yours?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a cougar spotted on a Game Cam somewhere down in the river bottoms in the Savage/Burnsville area. A bowhunter (I believe) had a game cam out and got pics of a cougar feeding on a deer kill. That same season, one was shot in Bloomington by Nine Mile Creek near a popular walking path. I'm not sure if it was police or a game warden. It was near a paved walking trail I believe, and they had to shoot it, as it appeared to be staking out the trail looking for dinner.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
was it your trail cam?
I get them on mine every so often, but out here it's expected

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No not mine. It was on the local news for a couple days though.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I csme face to face with one once very late at night.
Oh, you mean a REAL animal cougar!

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
laugh

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
it cracks me up something fierce when the city folk get their undies in a bunch over a bear. All of sudden, it is too dangerous to have a bear around. Ohmygosh, those are wild BEARS, better shoot them before people get et by the bar!

Hey, uh, what about all the millions of people that live in bear country? If they shot every bear that they saw walking around, we would be bearless. Same with cougars. By gol, we cant have cougars where we LIVE! Kill them on sight.

Now the flip side.....those city dwellers sure want the wolves to live in the country. I really wish they would plant a pack of wufs in the cities! eek

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I think what Tzone was trying to get at is that HE had something to do with the cougar in bloomington.

Probably was photographed nekkid on the ledge outside her winder...

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No, it weren't me. A guy gg and I know is on was in on the ordeal though. It was "stalking" joggers on a path through a park.

In that situation, it probably did need to be shot.

That bear deal is a crock though. Bears be bein bears. You leave food out, they're going to come eat it. Hell, if I'm in a campground and you leave food out, I'm going to come check it out. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
That bear deal is a crock though.

No kidding. I don't get this part...Police shoot the bear and its seen crossing a hi-way 3 days later? What the heck did they shoot it with and where?

So now you have a wounded bear running around...which is nice

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We see a couple of bear in the city reports every year. They love dog food that folks put out for their pet, not to mention garbage. So far no bears have had to be put down but several have been tranquilized and moved.

Page 1,368 of 1,842 1 2 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

586 members (22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,282
Posts18,448,597
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.