Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,384 of 1,842 1 2 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1841 1842
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ill bet you are right about the high water Dave, last Friday the parking lots at Rainy Lake were hubcap deep in lake water.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Gov crazy eyes is going to be in Warroad today. I suppose they will have him hold a sand bag for a picture, then he'll spew some political nonsense and be on his way.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why he's coming. He has no "people" up here. There is very little union structured work in our area unless it's state or county. Very low unemployment in Red colored Roseau county, we all work for our money, we hate paying taxes for him to give to his non working supporters, and we also love our guns and gun rights up here.

He must be lost or something.

crazy

It will be like a Mini Pearl appearance at a Metallica concert.

Everybody would be polite, but they would also be very puzzled as to why she is there?

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave

He must be lost or something.

crazy

I've been thinking the same thing for a long time. Not just this trip.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We decided to postpone the fishing trip, flooding really sucks, I see it every couple years.....the BIL and I will reschedule for later in the year or find somewhere else to put a couple lines in the water.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Happy belated birthday to the Shaw men, been out of circulation for a week or so. Computer died at home and then I came down with a blood clot in my left calf. couple of days eating ungodly bad hospital food, 42 bruise me and make me bleed like a stuck hog pills that cost $124 they said I will live and sent me back to work. Dave could you adopt me. You give the best birthday presents I have ever seen.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Take it easy on the leg and do what the docs tell you, Bill. Clots are nothing to mess with.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
^^^what Bill of the Grizzly variety said^^^

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My boy has been mowing lawns to earn some money this summer. He finally earned enough to get himself a new baseball bat for little league. So we headed down to the local sporting goods store to peruse their selection for this momentous purchase. We both got sticker shock at the prices...up to $500 bones for a freakin' bat!

Anyway, we went to a few other stores before he found one in his substantially less price range. He asked me if I thought it was as good as those others and I told him it had just as many hits in it as the expensive ones. Saw him quietly smile. It's the first thing he's ever purchased with money he's earned, so of course he is very proud of it...the wife saw that he had it lying next to his bed after he fell asleep.

Well last night was his first game with it and he's been in a no hit slump for the past few games...Sam went 4 for 4. It wasn't so much that he did well with it, but something about having pride of ownership in something earned. The boy was beaming. The smiling old man had quite a lump in his throat too. smile

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That's awesome.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ah yes.... The little league bat. I have 3 pages in a rule book that talk about what kind of bat the monkeys can use.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What ever happen to the wooden Louisville Sluggers? My how times have changed. Of course I remember spending $18 for my glove back in the early $50's. Had to order it from Sears, because none of the stores in my home town carried decent gloves for lefties. I mowed a lot of lawns to earn that money.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I hear ya Bill. There's something satisfying about hearing the crack of the bat in summer, not the "tink" of aluminum. The old wool uniforms have been replaced by polyester, kids wear batting gloves - some even wear sliding pants! Helmets, hitting sticks, and coaches who make Lombardi look like a nun. Gatorade is the drink of choice, not water. Oh how the times have changed.

Like Tom said, the rules are are like the government tax code. Overbearing parents who want their kid playing in MLB spend thousands on equipment and travel leagues. They yell at their kids like a Marine D.I. Sadly, it's not the gentle summer pastime it once was.

But take all that away and it's just kids playing a game. And it's fun to watch that part of it.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When our daughter was serious with her softball, we had about $600.00 worth of bats riding around in her bag. She liked the Easton bats, to the tune of over $200.00 a crack. The funny thing is, when she was younger, she swung a $40.00 Worth bat that all the girls on her team liked, just because it had cool graphics-no other reason.

Glad to hear he had a good night and can take pride in the fact that he earned that bat and those hits.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep, the boy has a bat I bought for $5 dollars. He seems to hit just fine with it.

I was talking to a mens league softball player and he told me his bat is carbon fiber and you can't use it under 65*F. Really? Has it come to that?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
When i used to play softball, we cracked bats all the time. The cold and the thin walls of the bats dont mix...

The bats are crazy, Ive seen so many people get hurt over the years.. Got so bad nobody wanted to play 3rd....

Then they started outlawing certain bats,it got better.. Once in awhile a guy would come up and hit it so hard your like thats gotta be illegal bat.... Turned out people were airbrushing over the banned bats....There was that big of a difference people were willing to go that far......

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Probably the same dudes that showed up to beer league softball with two batting gloves, eye black, new shiny cleats.... you know the cat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Yep, the boy has a bat I bought for $5 dollars. He seems to hit just fine with it.

I was talking to a mens league softball player and he told me his bat is carbon fiber and you can't use it under 65*F. Really? Has it come to that?
A lot of the girls keep an old bat or a specific "cold" bat for playing in cold weather. The new composite bats really don't hold up well in cold weather, especially for the power hitters. 'Saw one get busted up at a tournament one time, and saw several that came apart inside the end cap. Hard to justify tearing up a $200.00 plus bat just because it's cold outside.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well its been awhile since you bought a bat. grin $200 would only cover the handle on the new composites. smile

You know what holds up in cold weather? Wood.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
some wood!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by tzone
Well its been awhile since you bought a bat. grin $200 would only cover the handle on the new composites. smile

You know what holds up in cold weather? Wood.

So, back to my question. Why aren't wood bats still used? have they been outlawed?

Page 1,384 of 1,842 1 2 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 62 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.