Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
FWIW, the electronic muffs most popular among the tactical guys I work with are Sordin. They are light, flat-profile, and have the best electronics I know of. I tested a pair at a carbine class in May and was very impressed. They don't interfere with my cheek weld with either shotgun or rifle. They cost about $300 with the gel earpads.

http://www.csuk.us/sup_pro4.php#cutoff

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by goodnews

Murphy-

Pro Ears muffs which I have have a compression circuitry and work well when you have controlled shooting as at the range, shotgun games, plinking, etc., but for all the reasons Rocky mentioned I have trouble wearing them for long periods and to my mind they just aren't practical when hunting which is what I'm looking for.

Gdv

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I use them for. I am thinking of some sort of protection for hunting though.

Chris

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That $55/ear is about right for a lab mold. A dealer using a "mold on the spot" material can do it for about the $25/ear I mentioned.

In my hearing aid office I charge a patient $50 ea, a non-patient $75 ea.

This is fairly typical.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the confirmation, BB. Feel free to correct anything I may have said in error up above, if you know otherwise.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I purchased EAR digitals the top of the line, $2,500. The next one down for ONLY $2,000 would probably be just as good for me. This digital was programmed for me based on a hearing test. I can hear much BETTER with them in.

I put regular Peltor muffs over these at the range when I am shooting or when anyone near me is shooting. Otherwise, the echo off the roof is annoying.

I just returned from 16 days hunting in Namibia and Zimbabwe. I wore them all day every day and they work like a charm. Your ear is occluded and your own voice sounds funny but this is not too bad for me.

My .416 Rigby has a Vais muzzle brake which the EAR silences well. Maybe it helps that my mouth is shut when I clinch my teeth ;-)

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Rocky and Oldcoyote,

I just went through my hospital audiologist for an audiogram and sure enough I had some but thankfully not too much high frequency (neural) loss; I intended on sending the audiogram to E.A.R but found out they (my hospital) have their own units available from STARKY. I can get their high end $1900, digital model for about $1200 with my med staff discount.

For that kind of discount I'm going to have to go with them. 45 day trial with satisfaction guaranteed; compression sound protection with "very good sound resolution" and general ambient sound magnification. From the EAR and ESP websites, this product sounds comparable as far as technical capabilities go. Will find out.

Oldcoyote, I just came back from Namibia also. Where did you hunt there?

Gdv

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Starkey was the source of EAR electronic plugs for many years. My own plugs were Starkey-made. Starkey is one of the top providers in reputation over decades. They are indeed good plugs, and you're getting a very decent price.

Be sure to let us know how you like them - which I think I can confidently predict will be a LOT.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
goodnews

Gras Ranch south of Windhoek. Great fun!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Rocky-

I should get them in about two weeks; will try them out and give a report. I'm a little concerned about getting used to having them in my ears as I'm sure there's a little adjustment there.

Gdv

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There is. It will take some adjustment. Fortunately, getting used to the somewhat unnatural sound takes only a minute or two (don't crank up the volume at first. That helps.) THE most unnatural sound will happen if you first wear them indoors. WAY too many house sounds, echoes and stuff you don't hear normally will suddenly become REALLY noticeable. Oddly, wearing them outdoors isn't nearly as disconcerting.

They may be a bit painful after a while. Your ears will adjust to them if you wear them enough, but if only worn for occasional shoots, they may always be a bit tender after a few hours. Take them out for a few minutes at a time, or simply wiggle your outer ear a bit to "seat" the plugs better. Try rubbing just the barest whisper of petroleum jelly on the plugs or inside your ear to slicken them up.

"Entertaining" sounds: drinking a Coke will sound like you're under Niagara Falls; potato chips will sound like a wildfire; you'll actually hear your knees, hips and spine grating as you walk!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
you'll actually hear your knees, hips and spine grating as you walk!

That's funny. I already have a slight bit of arthritis in my cervical spine and can now without magnification hear the slight grinding, cracking when I turn my head in just the right way.

So when wearing those it's going to sound like I'm cracking a broom stick in half??!! sick grin That's great!!

Really, thanks for the pointers. It's just something I've got to do.

Gdv

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

But over the decades I have found the best hearing protection is bowhunting.

JB

That is a good one! Lols and thanks!

MtnHtr

grin grin grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm pleased to state that I've lost all of my hearing in one particular frequency range. That's the frequency range that women speak in... grin

Last edited by DMB; 08/18/07.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.