Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I'm still trying to figure out why 2800 fps is so "perfect".

Nothing is perfect, of course.

I base my opinion on my experience. In my experience, shooting "moderate" calibers such as 7-08, 30-06, 30-30, 32 win, .358, etc I have NEVER had a bullet failure, I have ALWAYS had an exit wound, and I have NEVER lost an animal. That's in only 15 deer, but that starts to be a big enough sample that I can form an informed opinion. In my opinion.

In that batch of deer, bullets used included many soft bullets like Powerpoints, Hot Cors, Ballistic Tips, etc. Every single one exited the deer.

One hears no end to the horror stories about problems when one jacks the MV up too high.

Now is where you say "don't use a fly to flanders bullet, use a TSX" but to that I say, why? When standard bullets in standard, moderate calibers kill so well? It is foolishness to correct a velocity problem with an expensive, hard to get bullet when there is a much simpler solution- keep the speed in the "window" and watch things work great. And burn less powder, suffer less recoil, watch your rifle barrel last multiples of time longer, listen to less ringing in your ears... etc ad nauseum.

In a general purpose hunting rifle I think the perfect MV is in the 2900 range... that means that at typical killin' ranges the bullet will be going 2200-2600 fps. And the rifle will shoot plenty flat out to 500 yards is a person is so inclined. And you know what? That bullet will almost certainly perform... ta da... "perfectly"!

A person engaging in long-distance hunting is playing a different game, with different rules, of course. Those people represent a minority by far and yet everyone is getting addicted to extremely fast cartridges then shooting little dog deer at 125 yards and wondering why they just lost half the meat.

That's what I think anyway.

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_Olsen; 09/21/07.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 338s and a 300 winnie. But I will be taking the Model 70 classic compact in .308 elk hunting this year. 3 pounds lighter is well worth having to get a few feet closer.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Jeff -

I believe that you are right on point in your assessment!

Your life is made of two dates and a dash. Make the most of the dash.

Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, how many elk have you killed with the 338 WM and what are the specifics?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen

Nothing is perfect, of course.

I base my opinion on my experience. In my experience, shooting "moderate" calibers such as 7-08, 30-06, 30-30, 32 win, .358, etc I have NEVER had a bullet failure, I have ALWAYS had an exit wound, and I have NEVER lost an animal. That's in only 15 deer, but that starts to be a big enough sample that I can form an informed opinion. In my opinion.

In that batch of deer, bullets used included many soft bullets like Powerpoints, Hot Cors, Ballistic Tips, etc. Every single one exited the deer.

One hears no end to the horror stories about problems when one jacks the MV up too high.

Now is where you say "don't use a fly to flanders bullet, use a TSX" but to that I say, why? When standard bullets in standard, moderate calibers kill so well? It is foolishness to correct a velocity problem with an expensive, hard to get bullet when there is a much simpler solution- keep the speed in the "window" and watch things work great. And burn less powder, suffer less recoil, watch your rifle barrel last multiples of time longer, listen to less ringing in your ears... etc ad nauseum.

In a general purpose hunting rifle I think the perfect MV is in the 2900 range... that means that at typical killin' ranges the bullet will be going 2200-2600 fps. And the rifle will shoot plenty flat out to 500 yards is a person is so inclined. And you know what? That bullet will almost certainly perform... ta da... "perfectly"!

A person engaging in long-distance hunting is playing a different game, with different rules, of course. Those people represent a minority by far and yet everyone is getting addicted to extremely fast cartridges then shooting little dog deer at 125 yards and wondering why they just lost half the meat.

That's what I think anyway.

-jeff

Jeff,

Great post! And 15 deer kills is plenty to form an opinion. Some of the best hunters I know pass up far more bucks than they kill since they are trophy hunters so does that make the meat hunter's opinion more valid? Of course not!

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Deer are so hard to kill... can't really see how they're a "test" of much anything.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Deer are so hard to kill... can't really see how they're a "test" of much anything.

Very true on the kill factor. So how many big mulies have you slayed?

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Body wise, not rack wise, a few... how many elk you killed?

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Brad--
Asking people to back up opinions and attitudes with experience will take all the fun out of the internet.
(I think I have killed 6 elk; five with 7 Mag and one with 6.5-06. My son has killed 3 with .270. I am glad no one told the elk we were so woefully undergunned.)

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've killed two elk, does that make me a lessor hunter than you?

MtnHtr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad knows a whole heck of a lot more about rifles and hunting than I ever will, and has had a great deal of influence on the rifles I have had built.
I'm sure he is correct to prefer the '06 over the 338 WM, but the '06 just doesn't give me the good comfortable feeling that I have with the WM
Good old common sense is one thing, but confidence in a rifles ability is something else. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your insecurity makes you think it does... I could care less. You're the one that started a pissing contest (as usual).

My point was and remains, deer aren't much of a test of anything... even big-bodied Carp Deer.

Would also add, those that haven't been around many elk kills tend to over arm themselves... just another thought.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tracks
Good old common sense is one thing, but confidence in a rifles ability is something else. grin

Nicely said Tracks and I know your confidence comes from experience!

I'd be the last one to talk a guy out of something that works for him!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think it's kinda odd somebody discounts deer as not much of a test of anything but perhaps Brad meant as a test of bullet construction. I guarantee a trophy class mule deer (non rut) on public land is not a slam dunk either (unless you draw a limited tag -maybe).

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nobody said killing a 180+ class Muley is easy... I just said deer aren't much of a test of bullets and cartridges (which is what this post is about in case you'd lost track).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Your insecurity makes you think it does... I could care less. You're the one that started a pissing contest (as usual).

My point was and remains, deer aren't much of a test of anything... even big-bodied Carp Deer.

Would also add, those that haven't been around many elk kills tend to over arm themselves... just another thought.

There you go with your pop physic analysis again. WTF is up with you? You belittle Jeff Olsen on here by asking for "experience" and trump yourself as "Mr.Authority"

Its getting old Brad, I thought you were a good dude.

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mtn Hunter, your opinion of me means less than nothing... you forage around this forum looking for ways to take cheap shots at my friends and myself then act bewildered when you get called on it publicly and privately.

This is the last time I'll respond to anything you have to say so I'll be the gentleman and let you have the final word.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nobody said killing a 180+ class Muley is easy... I just said deer aren't much of a test of bullets and cartridges (which is what this post is about in case you'd lost track).

You did post "......can't really see how they're a "test" of much anything."

Get a clue, you mis-posted is all. Just get over it...........

MtnHtr

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
you forage around this forum looking for ways to take cheap shots at my friends and myself then act bewildered when you get called on it publicly and privately.

You've slung plenty of $hit on this forum yourself and your friend has the gall to ask me for rifle info via PM after ridiculing my bullet choices & experiences on the forum.

You need to get out and hunt some elk to relieve some of that nail slinging stress you've built up.

MtnHtr

Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.