-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have as big a problem with the rifle as I do the cartridge.The article in Shooting Times mentioned getting together with the powder gurus to work up a combination to achieve the velocities they wanted. The problem that I see is that we don't have access to the same powders and it will be exceedingly difficult to match factory velocities with only the powders available to the public.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If T/C offered the new ICON in 260 rem how many of you would buy
one?? This chambering certainly would have more appeal than the 30TC.

Doc

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Mine is a 308. I wouldn't want a 300 savage- opps I mean 30TC. I hope they continue to offer different chamberings. 260Rem and 7mm08 would be great.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Forgot 358Win and 338 Federal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have heard from at least one "industry" source that the reason more chamberings are not offered in left-hand rifles is a 3-parter:

1) 95% of rifle buyers will buy a standard caliber. They see no sense in buying a rifle chambered for a weird new cartridge when rounds like the .223, .243, .270, 7mm Rem Magnum, .308, .30-06 and .300 Winchester magnum are available.

2) The 5% of rifle buyers that are real rifle loonies are, like the rest of the population, mostly right-handed. Thus left-handed rifle loonies are a tiny, tiny minority, and it makes no financial sense to chamber left-handed rifles in the latest "in cartridge."

3) The left-handed rifle loonies will most likely rebarrel anyway--if they like the new rifle. If they don't, they get custom rifles built on Remington 700 actions, just like right-handed rifle loonies.

I have no idea whether the Icon will sell, but they have at least made a bolt-action that's a little different, and getting noticed is the first step in marketing.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have heard from at least one "industry" source that the reason more chamberings are not offered in left-hand rifles is a 3-parter:

1) 95% of rifle buyers will buy a standard caliber. They see no sense in buying a rifle chambered for a weird new cartridge when rounds like the .223, .243, .270, 7mm Rem Magnum, .308, .30-06 and .300 Winchester magnum are available.

2) The 5% of rifle buyers that are real rifle loonies are, like the rest of the population, mostly right-handed. Thus left-handed rifle loonies are a tiny, tiny minority, and it makes no financial sense to chamber left-handed rifles in the latest "in cartridge."

3) The left-handed rifle loonies will most likely rebarrel anyway--if they like the new rifle. If they don't, they get custom rifles built on Remington 700 actions, just like right-handed rifle loonies.

I have no idea whether the Icon will sell, but they have at least made a bolt-action that's a little different, and getting noticed is the first step in marketing.

JB
Definitely makes sense. What's funny (not so much) is that while scouting the major manufacturers' web pages (Ruger/Remington/Savage/etc) a while back, I found that only Savage offers a .308 left handed. I was baffled by that....30-06 was an option of course, but it's not what I'm looking for. I suppose a custom rifle is an option, if I really wanted a lefty Model 700 or M77 in .308 that badly, but when Savage offers something similar as a production model, I really don't see the need. frown

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I got my new ICON in .308. I'll try to get some pics up, and get some info out on the rifle. I'm waiting on a scope before the real fun can begin.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fordisto,

What quality of wood grain did you get??? whistle

Doc

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
DE,

The wood is very nice. It is some of the prettiest wood I have seen on a factory rifle lately. As soo as I can get som pics, I'll post. I'll be away from home until early next week.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To all,

I looked at a new TC Icon rifle yesterday at the gunshop. Its too heavy and is loaded with undesirable features that, in my view, has no chance in the market at the price that they are asking.

The bolt handle is beyond ugly. Its some sort of an effort to have a Euro look but with no style. The magazine is a very cheap plastic thing thats in the way of your hand when you carry the rifle. There is a lot more that I don't like about it but its not worth the effort to even mention it.

Right behind the TC Icon on another horizontal mount was a new Ruger Hawkeye in 257R. The Hawkeye is a handsome rifle and it was priced at $599. The TC Icon was priced at $849. Thats $250 more. We asked the dealer and he said that he has to pay well over $700 for the Icon.

All there felt that the Icon was not worth a second look.

Here is one priced at over a thousand dollars. Icon for over a grand LOL

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I toured my local gun emporium this afternoon, and lo and behold, there was a new Icon on the rack. A 243 Win. That thing has to be the heaviest doggone sporter rifle in .243 I have EVER hefted. Lost all interest immediately. AND, marked at $999.99!!! You got to be $hitting me!! Noticed they also had a NIB Kimber 84M Classic in .243 Win marked at $700. And a NIB Kimber 8400 Classic "Select Grade" 300 WSM at $800. The Kimbers were a lot more interesting than the Icon, as well as much lighter, and I don't even LIKE Kimbers!! grin The only good thing (?) I have to say about the Icon, is it made me take a serious look at the Kimbers!! grin Hefted a CDL SF in 270 Win for reference, and it was also noticeably lighter than the Icon, although, not as light as the 84M. I am not an ultra light fan, but sporter rifles that are unusually heavy turn me off. There will be no Icons in my battery. YMMV.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After I wrote the above I found and read the article in the Rifleman about the Icon. TC took some guy(s) to Africa and they shot stuff with the rifle using the new TC cartridge shooting 165 gr SST's.

Nothing in the article was news to me. They found the rifle interesting and all good. Now whats the surprise at that?

Perhaps the reason for the high price of the Icon is the low volume and the wood which is supposed to be upscale?

These articles are full of half truths such as them saying that the 30 TC or whatever it is meets 30-06 Ballistics. Since most new cartrididges introduced are factory loaded with high energy techniques I suppost they forget to mention this when thinking of Kudus and bushbucks.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just looked at one and really like it, I dont think its to heavy at all, but then I like a bit of heft in my guns. Killer wood, I bet AI would want 750 to make that stock so for 800 bucks the gun is a deal. As for the 30TC, the jury will be out on that for some time, I think Im going to get that caliber, and yes I understand it will be a obslete soon, but its cool today.

The only thing I dont like is the clip. 1, Im not a clip fan and 2 its just plain cheep. They droped the ball at the one yard line on that one.....

I think you need to be a fan of mid weight guns in blue and wood to appericate this gun. It looks a lot like a Tikka T3 to me.
Im betting TC has a winner here, you know they will through all the advertising at it and every guy on TV will be shooting one, but they need to get production up to speed. I read some where that TC sold out every gun on its 1st production run.

Wish I could get a 700 with wood like this and a bedding block for 800 bucks!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.