Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's the true story about the large hairy mammal I encountered yesterday.

I was hunting deer in New York's opening day. On the way into the woods we cut the track of a bear, probably not a very big one. That was at about 6:15 AM, still dark.

I went to the stand location that was my first choice, and there was already a hunter there. I left to find another spot and was barely out of sight when he shot, just a minute or two before 7:00. (I later heard he shot a spike.)

At about 7:15, I spotted this big black animal approaching from my left, about 60 yards out. I faced it and it kept coming. At about 35-40 yards he saw me, started working his nose, and kept coming.

I thought, I might have time to grab my camera out of my pack. So I took off my backpack, pulled out my camera, and he kept coming. In front of me was the rotted top of a tree that had fallen. The monster came right over it, and I thought, Does he think I'm food?
[Linked Image]

I had time not only to get my camera out, but to snap about 20 photos. None are great because I didn't have time to make any camera settings, but most of them show him pretty well. Here's one where he fills the frame:
[Linked Image]

He wasn't the least bit afraid of me, nor (perhaps stupidly), was I afraid of him. While I was taking pictures I found myself about 4 feet from my gun (a muzzleloader) with the creature only 8 feet away.

I waved my arms and told him, Scram! Get out! That did nothing but startle him slightly, and he held his ground. I broke a stick off and threw it at him, missing. He just walked over and sniffed the stick. While he was sniffing it, I threw two more sticks at him. Both hit him but he didn't even flinch.

I seriously think I could have approached him and petted him. I finally convinced him to leave. As he did, I lip-squeaked and he turned his head back at me:

[Linked Image]

That's not the closest I've ever been to one of these. Once I had a 300-pounder 2 steps (no more than 6 feet) in front of me while calling a spring gobbler. Another time I had one that must have been over 500 pounds (he was as big as a couch) 12 feet in front of me -- also in spring gobbler season. But I've never had one hang around like this for several minutes.

The first thing I thought about throwing at him was a candy bar from my pack, but quickly decided that was a bad idea. He'd only want more. And when I ran out, he might not believe me.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good thing it wasn't a real bigfoot or he'd have killed you, or worse yet taken you for his new "bride"....:)

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sheesh! I'm reminded of a line from the movie The Ballad of Gegorio Cortez....

"How come you ain't dead?"

I literally ran into something on that size scale that close years ago on an Adirondack streamside trail. All THAT bear wanted to do though was get the heck out of there.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
"How come you ain't dead?"

I've had three very close encounters of the bruin kind, and so far have never been afraid. Yesterday at one point I was 8 feet from the bear and discovered that I was about 4 feet from my rifle, which I leaned against a tree while I took my pack off. I felt a little anxious about what he would do, but I can't say I was ever afraid. Maybe stoopid, yes, but not afraid.

Black bears are almost never hostile toward man. When they are, it's usually a campground situation.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is too freaking cool.....I'm across the mountains from you in Deerfield, Mass.....we didn't get any of that snow, yet.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW!!! How cool! Beautiful animal against the white snow.

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bears.. nothing to do, and a lifetime to do it in.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Neat bear and neat pics! Maybe if I lived around them I'd have more of your confidence.....................nawwwwww! grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Black bears are almost never hostile toward man. When they are, it's usually a campground situation.

"Almost" being the key term. And in those rare predatory interactions, from the accounts the ultimately predatory bear approached in a methodical, unhurried manner exactly like that one.

The most horrific account I have read is in Stephen Herrero's famous "Bear Attacks" book (thank you Kutenay) where a black bear up in Alaska casually approached a geological survey worker, knocked her over and then methodically stripped and ate most all the flesh off of the poor woman's upper arms, all the while holding her down with a paw on her chest.

Incredibly, she survived the attack, the bear driven off by the return of the helicopter that had dropped her off, it coming back in response to her distress calls on the radio during the attack.

I'll never look at a black bear the same way again eek

Ain't gonna keep me out of the woods of course, its just that, if possible, I'd like to have an equal vote with the bear as to how such encounters proceed...

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've read too many of those stories too and rather than an equal vote I prefer to fix any such elections wholly in my favor. The only way I'd let a bear get that close to me, would be if I was asleep or unarmed, which is nearly the same thing in my perspective.

Still I do admire your confidence, fortitude and courage. I'm sure it was an experience you will remember forever.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We called one in a few years back. I was doing a cow-calf in distress kind of thing hoping to draw in a herd of elk. What we got was about a 350 lb. dark chocolate colored Ursus Americanus.

I guess he figured that calf was in enough distress to make it an easy warm meal. Of course that meant he was focused on my location and all we were armed with was one bow, mine not having an arrow nocked.

My first thought on seeing him was, "really beautiful rug he's wearing", then "I don't have a bear tag" (non-resident tags are too expensive) and finally "he's close enough". The last one was when he hit the 20 yard mark at a fast trot. My partner and I started making noises....mostly yelling "ho bear" and barking like dogs. He skidded to a stop and rocked back like a dog sitting and looked totally confused. We were all camoed up including face paint and we were standing in the shade so I don't know how well he saw us. He sure took off after the intial shock though.

I sure wish I'd have had that tag. I'd have loved to have taken him home. I'm not sure if my beasts would pack a bear but there's only one way to find out.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
I've read too many of those stories too and rather than an equal vote I prefer to fix any such elections wholly in my favor. The only way I'd let a bear get that close to me, would be if I was asleep or unarmed, which is nearly the same thing in my perspective.

Still I do admire your confidence, fortitude and courage. I'm sure it was an experience you will remember forever.

Point well taken. I was a little concerned when I found that I was 4 feet from my gun and 8 feet from the bear. If he had decided he wanted a piece of me, he would have been on me faster than I could have reached my gun (an in-line muzzleloader), and I would have had only one shot anyway.

On Birdwatcher's post: I have read Herrero's book -- thanks for reminding me of that point. There probably won't be a next time, but if a bear ever approaches me that way again, I'll be a little more suspicious of his intentions.

Incidentally, rifles are not permitted in the area where I was hunting and they do not permit bears to be killed. Neither of these regulations make sense, but until a bear puts the hurtin' on someone real bad (hope it's not me), the rules will probably not change.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thought sure it was going to be a thread about Shaq.

I'd have had to work the camera one handed at that distance, I ain't the trusting sort.

Any bear that's close enough to realize you're human and doesn't react the way BW's bear did is a bear that needs close watching of, most likely through sights and not a camera lense. YMMV

watch4bear, bout the perfect sentence to describe bear behavior ime.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't help thinking about Buddy Bear from the song by Jimmy Buffet. grin

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
I'd have had to work the camera one handed at that distance, I ain't the trusting sort.

Any bear that's close enough to realize you're human and doesn't react the way BW's bear did is a bear that needs close watching of, most likely through sights and not a camera lense. YMMV

Yessiree. I was using the digital display on the back of the camera, rather than the eye viewfinder. That doesn't help hold the camera still, but it did allow me do keep a better eye on the bear. And it partly explains why the pictures are not clearer. I wasn't about to take my eye off him to change the ISO settings and the aperture.

Originally Posted by 1akhunter
watch4bear, bout the perfect sentence to describe bear behavior ime.

I also thought that was an apt comment.

I appreciate everyone's comments, and as I think about this I realize that there is a difference between being afraid of bears and having a healthy respect for them. When you consider what could have happened, I'm wondering if I may have briefly blurred the line between those two things. Maybe in choosing whether to scare the bear off early or have an incredible encounter with one, it's possible that I may have chosen the wrong thing. I'm no Tim Treadwell, but I did believe that I could actually have eased over to the bear and petted him, or at least touched him. Yes, a real dumb thing to do, and I would not seriously consider doing it.

I doubt anyone can determine a bear's intentions, and when approaching as he did, he may have actually been considering whether or not to attack. I suppose there is no way to know for sure.

Several times I did move toward the bear, raise my arms, try to look as big as possible, and speak strongly and confidently. Those actions would not bring me a victory against a bear with hostile intentions, but may cause a bear that has not made up his mind to decide it might not be worth it.

Do I respect black bears? I think I do. Am I afraid of them? Maybe I ought to be more so. I do realize, however, that showing fear (as in backing up or running away) might have resulted in a completely different outcome. I will not show fear to a black bear. (A brownie? I wouldn't be writing this story.)

Steve

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Here in Oregon, we kill 'em and eat 'em.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Now those are some cool pictures!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If I were you, I'd have someone do a collage (sp?) of those pics, fuzzy or not, though they look good to me. They are too cool not to make into something for the wall and display. Everybit as good of a trophy as his hide would have been and not as easily obtained. Might also remind you of some things some posts may have stirred up. It sounds like you have been very fortunate in similar past encounters. Could be luck pushing time from here on out. wink

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
If I were you, I'd have someone do a collage (sp?) of those pics, fuzzy or not, though they look good to me. They are too cool not to make into something for the wall and display. Everybit as good of a trophy as his hide would have been and not as easily obtained. Might also remind you of some things some posts may have stirred up. It sounds like you have been very fortunate in similar past encounters. Could be luck pushing time from here on out. wink

Good idea. Thanks. I am going to have my brother (a graphic artist) suggest an idea. I realize I have been fortunate, and I have asked myself if I have been pushing my luck. My conflict is between an interest in the rare, close-up experience (although I don't go looking for it) and my personal safety. Maybe it's time I change the priority.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EDhunter, good post

well thought out and reasoned, I can like that in a man.

Once had a griz sow with twin cubs surprise me and a pard on a sheep hunt she and the cubs just popped up into our camp from down below, by the time we layed eyes on them they were 15 away.

Pard had gone to refill a water platy at a seep, we both spied them about the same time, I was looking at them through my scope on my 7 mag, he was VIDEOING them!

They took flight and I asked him WTF over? what the hail are you doing videoing instead of grabbing your '06??????

He said he knew I'd grab my rifle and it was great footage, figured he was covered on all counts.

It worked out just the way he planned I guess, but am thinking if I'd had to shoot that sow off of him he'd have caught a buttstroke at the end. grin

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
467 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.