-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am looking at getting a new scope for my 375 H & H. Still have not decided on the gun, but it will be a 375 H & H in the next few weeks.
Here is my dilemma. Zeiss or Swarovski? I am thinking of 1.5- 6 x42mm. I have a Zeiss on my 300 Weatherby and like it, and have Swarovski Bino�s and like them.
The scope will be used to go back to Africa for Leopard again, and other dangerous game. I am also planning a Brown Bear hunt in Alaska in 2008, and would take it there. I was thinking of maybe a lighted reticle that would help for leopard. I know they are both good. If money was not the issue, what would you chose. Any rings recommendations?
Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Swarovski on my 416 Rigby & have been very pleased. I also have Zeiss Conquest on a number of rifles & prefer to Leupold. A few of my SCI buddies have Trijicon on Leopard rifles & are pleased. Seemes to be able to handle recoil of 375H&H. I may try one. The S&B flash dot scope seems to be the best if money is no object. Matt of Virginia is the resident expert if interested. Of course, both Zeiss & Swarovski make Ill. scopes also. So many good choices. With the dollar exchange rate in Europe I decided to go back to Africa with my wife in 08. Good hunting.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Zeiss is my choice. See better through this brand. Maybe my 50+ eyes. Have had Zeiss and still own three Zeiss scopes 3-12x56 Diavari V and three binos from Zeiss. Also have three Swarovski scopes: 1 of 4-12x50 and two 4x32:s.
Sold my other Swarovskis: 2,2-9x42 (2 scopes), 1,5-6x42 and 3-12x50) and also one Kahles 3-9x42 and S&B 1,5-6x42 and 3-12x50. Have also sold some Zeiss old scopes 3-9x36 and 3-12x56 Z. So guess I am a bit familiar with some of the existing brands. Principally take the brand YOU like best. Good hunting.
Choose good steel rings.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had my Swarovski AV 3-10x 42mm scope on my .375 Ouch & Ouch, as well as my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x 40mm, and a Leupold 2.5-8x 36mm.

Both the European scopes have a number 4 reticle, and I much prefer this for woods hunting than the Leupold Duplex (or Heavy Duplex reticle -- I own both).

The Swarovski is a tad better optically than the Zeiss Conquest, but both are way ahead of the Leupold. The Leupold is lighter of course, and has the reputation of being tougher (but the Zeiss Conquest is getting a pretty good reputation for toughness too!).

Eye relief is a bit longer on the Zeiss than the Swarovski, but the AV Swarovski's have good eye relief (unlike their 30mm scopes which do not). The Leupold and the Zeiss Conquest have about the same eye relief, with the Zeiss actually being about a cm more (I measured this with a flashlight through the objective lens and a white card at the ocular end, but can't find my notes regarding the exact figures).

All of these scopes (plus a Bausch & Lomb 6 - 24x 44mm scope that I use for working up loads and "fun shooting" at the range) have stood up to many hundreds of shots. Yes, it seems odd to have a .375 H&H with a scope that goes up to 24x, but it is a blast to dribble some honey on a white page, then back off to 100m and shoot flies with a .375 H&H and 24x scope, prone -- just to watch the local shooters (with their 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mausers) marvel how I could do this without breaking my shoulder! smile

If I was to do it again with Africa in mind, I'd likely go for a Zeiss Conquest 1.8 - 5.5x 38mm, the 2.5 - 8x 32mm, or the 3-9x 40mm.

The longer tube of the Zeiss (compared to Leupold or Swarovski) makes it a lot easier to mount on a "real rifle" like a .375 H&H without ugly extension rings.

I have not mentioned prices because they don't matter to me (perhaps I get paid too much?!), but the Zeiss is cheaper. I'd recommend it even if it were more though, because they have nice long eye relief, and nice long tubes to ease mounting problems.

I wish I had experience with the Swarovski Z6 line, but I do not -- yet! smile

John

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
On the cheaper side, Zeiss 1.8x5.5x38 - I really like this one.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All the scopes have been on Sako and Remington .375:s. All have funktioned well. But why beeing totally rational, so I chose Zeiss to be my number one and Swarovski the second. And by the way new scopes will be bought again. Planning to get me a light 9,3x62 and maybe another light .308 cal rifle, maybe even a 30-06 again. So much happy time is ahead to plan waht I absolutely will need. (Just cannot understand my wife�s objections, they are totally irrelevant; of course I need all new items I buy...)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Since I found Zeiss VM/V'S I' VE BEEN CHANGING SCOPES ON RIFLES.every 3 months.I won't use anything else.Swarovski can't hold as candle next to them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonderful dilemma!

But IMHO a lot like wondering whether Peter or Gabriel is a better saint.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I find it a little odd that some are comparing Zeiss Conquest line of scopes to Swaro's and saying the Swaro's are a little better optically. How about compairing the Zeiss VM's to the same price range Swaro's:-)Now who has the best optics? :-)Zeiss wins hands down IMHO but bottom line, go with what you think you think is best for you. Both will withstand heavy recoil.

The older I get................the better I was :-)
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the input. I think I am going with the Zeiss
1.5-6 with Varipoint #56. Great big game scope, quick acquisition with the Varipoint. The dot illuminates.
It will go on my Sako Model 75 H & H I bought over the weekend.
Any recommendations on mounting?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both Zeiss and Swaro make a good scope, but also look at Schmidt & Bender. Try the Zenith 1.5-6X42MM - would be a good fit for the .375 H&H.

Good luck with your decision - let us know what you get.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,813 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.