#1324616 - 03/23/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: DickD]
leftybolt Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: from Utah/ living in Mississip...
DickD,

No offense taken. You have a PM.

Leftybolt

RV 728 BP
#1373637 - 04/15/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: leftybolt]
ready_on_the_right Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: GA, USA
Another example of why I love this site...

There are other "good" sites and stocks out there...

But for the "best" come to the Campfire and buy McMillans

Thanks Rick & Dick

Mike

#1376716 - 04/17/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: leftybolt]
JPro Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Northern Louisiana
Weight on a new swirl pattern Remington Classic with SA BDL action inlet, 1" Decelerator, and magnum barrel channel: 32.25oz

#1423194 - 05/09/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: leftybolt]
Grand Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Central Cal.
I read an old Dogzapper article dating back to 1997 and he referred to a "Canadian Fill" McM stock. That was a new one for me.

#1423200 - 05/09/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Grand]
dogzapper Offline
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted By: Dirtybob1
I read an old Dogzapper article dating back to 1997 and he referred to a "Canadian Fill" McM stock. That was a new one for me.

And I have absolutely no freakin' idea what "Canadian Fill" is. I was simply repeating the words of a gunsmith I was using at the time (Darrell Holland). He was high on that fill and I accepted him at his word.

Steve

Steve's Blog: http://stevetimmcatholicfsblog.intuitwebsites.com/

#1425625 - 05/11/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: dogzapper]
Grand Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Central Cal.
Dogzapper: Maybe Darrell was talking about Whisky? Thats the only Canadian Fill I know.

Hey BTW, I peaked under the skin of the Holland 7-08AI I bought last year from your friend Steve, and to my surprise there is a Blue McSquirrely underneath.

Edited by Dirtybob1 (05/11/07)

#1474763 - 06/08/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Grand]
Reloder28 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Deer Park, Tx
Rick,
I guess I may be stirring the pot somewhat with my comment and inquiry. You told me some time back that the Edge could very likely be inletted for my Wby MK V. I did not take you up on the offer because there is no place I can go to handle one of these or any other McMillan for that matter. Eventually, the Wby was custom stocked by Match Grade Arms in Spring, Tx. The design chosen was the 700 Classic, no cheek piece. My stock weighs 20 ounces. I really like it.
That was the comment, now for the inquiry:
Is there someway one could obtain a McM of a certain design simply to handle it and then return it? I am very interested in the Mountain Rifle stock JPro posted a pic of for my 3 Rem's. I would want to handle it, however, before I plunk down my "sawmill dollars."

#1475501 - 06/08/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Reloder28]
waterbug Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: SE Texas
Reloder28,

If you don't find a solution with Ric, I have some McMillan's you are welcome to come over and handle. I currently have rifles stocked with a McMillan Sporter and a McMillan Classic plus I have a McMillan Mountain Rifle pattern that doesn't have an action in it as yet.

Paul

#1475510 - 06/08/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Reloder28]
JPro Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Northern Louisiana
FWIW, I have also had the factory Remington Mountain Rifle stocks and they feel the same dimensionally as the McMillan. With the exception of some of the outsourced fiberglass handles, most of the 700 stocks that Remington has used in the past fit me well.

Edited by JPro (06/08/07)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1475532 - 06/08/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Reloder28]
JAC43 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Salt River Basin
I wrote McMillan last year if they inletted patterns other than their Weatherby models for the Mark V action. Their answer was no, with the exception of the tacticals & the HTG.

#1476226 - 06/08/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: JAC43]
Heeman Offline

Did you say a MK V action in an HTG?

#1809755 - 11/19/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: RickBin]
1sawtooth Offline

I regards to Bansners vs. McMillan I have both stocks and can say that McMillan in my opionion is the better option. Both stocks are much better than factory, however, I personally have a problem with a stock that lacks checkering and is slick. As much as i love the Mark Bansner rifle I hate the fact that on cold damp mornings that the stock seems very slippery. Other than this the stock is ridged and of high quality.

#1853799 - 12/08/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: 1sawtooth]
MrFurious Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Lima, Ohio
So is McMillan inletting for the new center-feed detachable magazine and hinged floorplate from Savage yet? If so I need to get an order in!

#1867751 - 12/14/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: MrFurious]
MrFurious Offline
Campfire Regular

OK, does this lack of responses mean no or that ya'll have no clue?

#1867772 - 12/14/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: MrFurious]
biglmbass Online   happy
Campfire Tracker

Loc: north AL
Just read a post a few minutes ago about a member getting one for his wife's center feed Savage.

#1885118 - 12/21/07 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: biglmbass]
MrFurious Offline
Campfire Regular

I found my answer elsewhere...

According to the information I found McMillan presently only offers stocks for the center feed blind magazine. The only exception being you can get an A5 setup for the detachable mag (DM) or hinged floor-plate (HFP). This really doesn't surprise me as the depth of the belly is now critical with these two magazine options, and they'd likely have to alter the stock design & molds accordingly.

Savage isn't helping things either with how they're trickling out one small change a year rather than doing it all in one shot. Two years ago it was the change to the short-action screw spacing to accommodate the new bottom metal on the DM and HFP bottom metal, this year it was the new center feed blind magazines, and next year (2008) it will be the implementation of the new bolt release system (which has been in the works for nearly 3 years now).

It's easy to see why few of the aftermarket stock makers have bothered to modify their designs yet for the new stuff as it's still evolving. Unfortunately though, Savage's process means there are going to be a couple years of bastard guns out there you won't be able to get stocks for....those with the old-style flag bolt release and center feed DM or HPF magazines.

I will say though that it's about dmn time Savage got rid of that ugly flag-lever bolt release setup. For those who haven't seen the new system, here's a photo. The right rear of the action will no longer have a machined flat, and the bolt-release is a stylish button that's part of the front of the trigger guard. (Just ignore the fugly engraving and gold highlights...I've already chastised Ron Coburn and Brian Herrick for screwing the pooch on the 50th Anniversary Model 110's.)

#1963331 - 01/23/08 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: utah708]
Dayton Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Minnesota
So I could get The Sako 75 or Sako 75 Hunter design stock to replace the factory one in edge technology? Could I also get it in a swirl pattern??

#1965429 - 01/24/08 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Dayton]
Ben300WSM Offline

Loc: SE of Cadillac, MI
No to the Edge with swirls, paint only.

#1966609 - 01/25/08 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Ben300WSM]
Dayton Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Minnesota
So the lightest weight McSwirl stock I could get will weigh 32oz, unless I went with a Standard paint job Edge?

#1966732 - 01/25/08 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Dayton]
RickBin Offline

Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Yup.

That's about it.

RB

#2116470 - 03/29/08 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: RickBin]
Gord Offline

Loc: Ontario
Rick

I was just looking around the Campfire Gear Shop and noticed that the HTG (M40A1) stocks are offered with Edge Technology for Remingtons and Savages but not Winchesters. This would be a great stock for the "heavy barreled lightweight" rifle I have in mind that will be based on a M70 action. Is it an option I can order?

Thanks, Gord

#2308151 - 07/13/08 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Gord]
Kimber7man Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
Rem Classic, 13.375 LOP, factory mag b/c, factory bdl floorplate, 1" decelerator, standard fill that weighs exactly 33 oz is going on my 700 SPS SS 257 Roy....

Rick, thanks for this thread and also for looking thru your stuff for me...

Marty

#2460757 - 09/27/08 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: Kimber7man]
DavidPennington Offline

I'm in the process of buildng up several "lifetime" hunting rifles that once built, will hopefully last a lifetime without additional work except for rebarreling. Long-term durability in fairly hard hunting conditions and standing up to lots (tens of thousands of rounds) of shooting over a lifetime are high on my priority list. Durability wise, does a magnum or sniper fill buy me more durability in the long run?

Does a standard fill buy more durability than an Edge fill, again, in the long-term?

I won't say that weight is not a concern but it is a far removed concern next to durability and accuracy. A finished rifle in the 8.5-10 lb range is fine for my needs.

Everything will be professionally pillar bedded.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by DavidPennington (09/27/08)

#2585930 - 11/20/08 Re: McMillan Fill Weights: The Official Policy! [Re: CAS]
canoli Offline

Does McMillan make the tactical grip on their classic stocks instead of the checkering? This picture is what i am trying to get on a standard classic remington stock. I am trying to replace a LA CDL stock.

Canoli

Edited by canoli (11/20/08)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
Who's Online
500 registered (257wby, 260Remguy, 257heaven, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 1062 Guests and 335 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,269 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,530 Topics
9,931,367 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.