24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I have my dog with me, which I always do, I have a sterile disposable stapler and iodine wash with me.
The stapler has saved the day more than once, and not just for dogs either.
I get the little 30 staple ones from a Vet supply online. I give them out as gifts to friends with gundogs.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
steri-strips for me,they work for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you ever wonder why/how an 8 year old thread suddenly becomes "new" again? Wonder how many of the doctor wannabee's have sewed themselves shut since 2007?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back when I was a caver (early 80's) I was trying to learn what sort of first aid might required. I had a buddy who'd been a medic in Nam, and he taught me the crude rudiments. Caving is bad, because you have to deal with 100% humidity, and endless mud and water-- kind of like a jungle only colder. When it got to dressings, suturing, and such, he said absolutely positively not. There was no way to insure there was not foreign material in the wound and closing it up could be a death sentence. The idea was to keep it open and clean until it could be dealt with in a sterile environment. I threw out the suture kit I had.

A few years later I was on a tubing trip unrelated to the caves and fell and managed to sit down hard on my left hand. I was okay, but I had a small nick on my left thumb. It stayed in the river water all afternoon, and I tended to it when I got home with the best I had from my kit. It healed in 3 days. Day 4 was no problem. On day 5 it went septic and I nearly lost the thumb. I'd been so good at getting the skin to heal over, and left some imperceptible piece of river muck down near the bone.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neosporin and bandaids.

I also carry a small bottle of "liquid bandage" but have scars from large "repairs."

The liquid bandage stuff has anti-bacterial in it.

QuickClot is fine for life threatening events (I have some on my motorcycle), but not to be used unless you plan on losing the surrounding skin.

BTDT.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by docdb
I am a physician, and I've gone on several one to two week hunting trips, and I've obsessed over every single shred of gear I carried on my back. With that said, on the last trip I had the following:
1. Vial of local anesthesia with appropriate syringes
2. Nylon suture swaged on a straight needle (Keith), not needing instruments to suture
3. Povodine-Iodine swabs,
4. Bandage material
5. Oral Antibiotics/Pain Meds/Allergy meds/eye drops
6. Toradol injectible (non narcotic analgesia)
8. Sterile Gloves
9. Derma-bond (sterile superglue)
10. Duct tape (a myriad of uses)
Thank God, I've never had to use anything beyond the bandages/duct tape on foot issues. I'm not proposing everyone needs all this stuff, but they are my tools of the trade, and I like to have the option of using them.
Back when I had my trauma training, we weren't allowed to suture any wound older than 12 hours for fear of infection, and we would let it heal by "secondary intention". Actually we were so 24/7 busy that when a wound came in 12 hours old, we jumped for joy and put a nurse on debridement/cleanup and on to the next!. The 12 hour rule was flexible though, depending on the location and condition of the wound. Now that I specialize in the Head/Neck, I would close just about anything that I could clean properly. Antibiotics and great regional blood flow (plus cosmetic considerations) make this possible in this area.
Don

Similar to mine. Toradol is magic!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Provodine/iodine and a large syringe, without the needle.

Mix the povodine/iodine with water in your cook pot and use the syringe to irrigate the wound.

Several years ago I read a pretty good article on backcountry first aid, written by an ER/trauma doc who also served on search and rescue teams. When discussing backcountry first aid kids, he opined that you can makeshift just about anything, but that wound irrigation and splints were difficult (more difficult in the field than in your typical first aid class), and recommended a SAM splint and tape (duct or med) along with the irrigation tools mentioned.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JRaw
Provodine/iodine and a large syringe, without the needle.

Mix the povodine/iodine with water in your cook pot and use the syringe to irrigate the wound.

For use in a small first aid/survival kit, Potassium Permanganate crystals be a good alternative also...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Steri-strips here, as well. I've also recently added a small baggie of corn starch - I've seen it clot up some wounds that really didn't want to stop bleeding.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Read "Wilderness Medicine" by William D. Forgey, MD. ISBN 978-0-7627-8070-9. Lots of good advice with suggested medical kits with multiple use items.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great book. As with many skills training trumps gear.

Suturing is easy, proper assesment and cleaning not so much.

First, Do no Harm.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shaman
Back when I was a caver (early 80's) I was trying to learn what sort of first aid might required. I had a buddy who'd been a medic in Nam, and he taught me the crude rudiments. Caving is bad, because you have to deal with 100% humidity, and endless mud and water-- kind of like a jungle only colder.

Yeah it's the humidity and mud that are bad about caving. crazy

How about the DANG CAVE!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For skin wounds a product called Leukostrip by Smith&Nephew is better and more water repellant than the butterfly's and the Steri-Strips... if its deep enough for stitches or staples, forget it clean it, clean it bandage it and get to the local doctor. Deepwound infections just aren't worth it.

keep a little alcohol, betadine, antibiotic salve, leukostrips, gauze pads, and tape. Band-aids are about useless.

Phil

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I keep one in my fishing bag with bottol of oragel and a rube of styptic powder.
The oragel will numb the site long enough to throw a few stitches then I can stop bleeding with the powder.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
492 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.