Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Subject says it..

How do the case capacities compare 300 RCM vs 300WSM?

Basicly I am comsidering a 35 cal wildcat (350WSM, 350RCM)

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
350 WSM is the 350 Sambar, might want to look it up.

I considered re-chambering my Ruger 350 rem mag to a 350 WSM, but then I shot it pushing 225's 2700 fps. I just have no need to push 250's 2700 fps from a lightish rifle. Something to consider. And if you aren't building a light rifle, no real reason to use the WSM platform.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't know what the difference is, but the WSM case is .555 at the web, and the RCM case is .532. The WSM case is 2.1" long and the RCM case is 2.015".

So the WSM case appears to have a fair bit more capacity.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I kind of like the idea of a short action 338 that would be between the 338-06 and the 338 win. Maybe the thinner cartridge will feed a little smoother than the WSM cartridges. Who knows.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Two or three years ago, an Australian hunting magazine named Guns and Game ran a very informative series of articles describing how they designed, built, and hunted with a rifle chambered in the 350 Sambar round. I was able to obtain back issues from them thru their website. Here's the link if you want to pursue it further:

Guns and Game magazine

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Nothing wrong with a short action 338-06 +P. I am kind-of interested myself.

My guess is that feeding would be smoother than the WSM.

Per the reviews, in factory loaded form, it gives up nothing to the 338WM (though I am sure it does with heaviest bullets).

Hand-loads are likely to be a different proposition, with performance more like a 338-06 +P, since the propellants used in the factory ammo aren't available to the handloader.

_

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Here is some more 350WSM information:

350WSM or 35 Sambar

_

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I were a betting man I'd say the case capacity of the 338 RCM would be very similar to the 350 Rem Mag. The 350 has a longer case which might make up for the slightly fatter but shorter RCM .

Gerry.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I don't know what the difference is, but the WSM case is .555 at the web, and the RCM case is .532. The WSM case is 2.1" long and the RCM case is 2.015".

So the WSM case appears to have a fair bit more capacity.

_

Agreed.

I'm struggling to understand how two less in the magazine and poorer feeding with minimal velocity gain makes this new case a worthy choice over an 06-based round...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
OH NO!!! More practical, experience based opinion!!!!

This will NEVER do, how can we accept the antique rounds from long ago when ANY hip, trendy GenXer just KNOWS that wizzums, Ultragags and whatevers ARE the BEST, man!

The next thing we will be told is that there have been NO real improvements on the .45 Colt, .45ACP, .30-06, .375H&H and .450-3.25Nitro EVER.....the whole dang industry will collapse!!!!

Juat got my final Grizzly/packing rifle yesterday, a plain, old P-64 in .375H&H, 20"sts. tube, Recnagel irons, QD mts. 2.4xC Leupy, Micky stock and Decelerator...probably gonna get et in northern BC next summer as it is not a .375Ruger, Ultramag or a .416 Lazzemacaroni Blastum Super Mag...and wasn't "designed" by Col. Alphasoup! Horrors, what shall I ever do?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Geez Kute... I think I'm approaching Curmudgeonhood grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Brad

Ya, I'm beginging to think so , Brad...(chuckle)

I'm just wondering how you fellas *know* these new RCM cartidges are not gonna feed well ?

As for magazine capacity , IMO 3 versus 5 is not gonna make a whit of difference for 99.9 % of hunting chores .

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Originally Posted by Brad

Ya, I'm beginging to think so , Brad...(chuckle)

I'm just wondering how you fellas *know* these new RCM cartidges are not gonna feed well ?

As for magazine capacity , IMO 3 versus 5 is not gonna make a whit of difference for 99.9 % of hunting chores .

Did I SAY anything about feeding issues? NOBODY including YOU really KNOWS yet, OK. The Wizzums HAVE HAD feeding issues in various rifles as is well documented in threads here, check the archives.

As for magazine capacity, IF, you can get equal performance with more rounds in your mag., that is a benefit in Grizzly country and this is now becoming a problem in the western US as well as Canada, so, I think it IS a serious concern.

A .338RCM crf short-actioned rifle DOES interest me, but, I found Brad's comment quite appropriate as too much emphasis is placed upon new cartridge designs and nor enough on quality control of production rifles, IMHO.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kute , maybe you did not mention feeding issues , but Brad did .

And your right , I don't know any more about feeding of an RCM cartridge than anyone else , but I do have some faith in Ruger producing a rifle that will feed and function.....IMO they have a good track record in that respect.

As for the magazine capacity , my take would be that if one or three shots do not sort out an unexpected grizz problem , a fella would be in deeper dodo than a couple more shots is gonna help........but I'll defer to your experience when it come to extracting one's-self from grizz dodo......

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 338 RCM looks cool, and probably will sell simply beause it is a short fat 338. Ruger ain't dumb, ya know.

But . . . . .I thnk I'll just shoot my 308.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 11/25/07.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What am I missing here. The "new" RCM's are basically the same as the WSM's as far as capacity, design, etc. so why are they even coming out with them?

This whole cartridge of the month thing has to stop sometime!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's one more small thought. My 7mm-08 Model 7 was a somewhat "balky" feeder. When I rebarreled it to .358, it cleared that up. Feeds great now. It must be because the .35 cal bullet leaves such a small shoulder on the case, right? So maybe the same thing would happen with the WSM's necked up to .35 cal.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There is an old man who lives at Hagensborg, BC, in the mid-coast region of BC, his name is Jack Turner and he is the husband of Trudy Turner, daughter of Ralph Edwards,OC., the "Crusoe of Lonesome Lake, this man shot the then world-record Grizzly near their home in May, 1965.

He is, among serious, esperienced BC bush people, a living legend and at my best, I am an infant in the wilderness beside him. I knew his/Trudy's elder brother Stan at Ocean Falls nealry 40 years ago and these are simply amazing people, I say that as a member of one of the founding, pre-Confederation families in BC.

This TRUE EXPERT was attacked two years ago, in the evening, just outside his front door by FOUR yearling Grizzlies and mauled a bit. He escaped and survived, but, this is only one incident that makes me feel better with more rounds on tap.

I also MUCH prefer shallow-angled rounds for my hunting rifles, .338WM, 9.3x62 and .375H&H are my usual choices. I own a lot of Rugers, have examined a Hawkeye African and was VERY impressed, although I wishthat they had put a Rigby-style floorplate on to hold one more round and a larger button on that safety...still, one of the better factory rifles in years, IMO.

As to Brad, well, he IS a curmudgeon, a Viking AND getting on toward geezer status....what can ya do, eh?! smile smile smile MORE Moose Drool!!!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I'm struggling to understand how two less in the magazine and poorer feeding with minimal velocity gain makes this new case a worthy choice over an 06-based round...

I think you're probably right (though I do like short actions).

Per my new issue of Rifleshooter, the 338RCM has the same case capacity as the 30-06, and the 300RCM being slightly longer sits half way between the 30-06 and 300WSM (ala 300 SAUM).

The article tries to make a case for improved short-barrel performance, and that may be the case with the tailored pressure curves Hornady ammo is providing, but of course handloaders are likely to be disappointed.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
i guess i didnt know people are having trouble feeding the wsm cases. my model 70 feeds them like a champ and never had one feed wrong. and i dont think anyone needs 5 rounds verses 3 rounds for hunting and if you do you might want to pratice more or get some shooting sticks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
172 members (257 mag, 44mc, 163bc, 338reddog, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,279 guests, and 564 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,462
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.