Print Thread
Hop To
P
pell123 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Throwing this out there. I'm trying to decide between these two rifles and could use your more experienced feedback to weigh against what the sales people are telling me.

Initially I will shoot targets at 200 yards but I'm interested in expanding out to longer distances once I get comfortable with the rifle. Likely will stay at 600 yards as that is the longest range available at our club.

This particular Remington model is not listed in their catalogue, but I've come across these two useful references:

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Rem_M700_StainlessSpecial5RMilspec.asp
http://www.tobystactical.com/2007/11/remington-700-ss-5r-milspec.html

The info for the CZ550 is at:
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=49

Any comments on actions (CZ Mauser vs Rem push feed), trigger quality, scope mounting problems I may encounter with the CZ dovetail receiver, blued vs stainless, and so on, are welcomed.

Thanks for your feedback.

pell123
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
don't know squat about the CZ, but I had a Rem 700 5R and it was very accurate with match ammo.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mil-Spec. Not a fan of the CZ.

SPAD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to have the CZ 550 kevlar varmint, in 308 my biggest gripe was the stock, apparently when CZ ordered the stocks from HS they screwed up in converting the measurements from metric to inches, (I hear CZ in czech feels they need to control everything) anyways the stocks ended up very short, I am talking 12.5 LOP with a big recoil pad, the gun was throated pretty deep, it also had a detachable mag, which I didn't really care for, this mag made it such that unless you wanted to shoot single shot you had to seat to mag lenght. geeeeez you would think that with that big ole honkin 550 action you would at least be able to use the full lenght of it. I don't know why they made the gun with a detach mag, the trigger had a creep spot in it that I was never able to work out, however I am no gunsmith, I tried fixing it with a takeup adjustment but when I did that it made the trigger unsafe. thats what I didn't like about the gun

I think it shot decent, with federal gold medal match it shot in the .6's and with my handloads about the same, 5 shot groups. I was really eyeing the tikka varmint in 308, maybe if I would have done that I would have been happier

P
pell123 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
cumminscowboy, you hit on one of the things I was wondering about. To me the size of the CZ action looked like it could make a 30-06 round look small laying in it. The Remington seemed much more to scale for the .308 round. When looking at the open action from above it looked like the CZ was at least half again as long.

Appreciate your comments. Thanks!

pell123
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rem is made in the USA if that is important to you.

more aftermarket stuff for Rem (trigger, bases, including long range angled bases), accuracy gunsmiths have more experience with the rem

I have heard that the throats on factory rem barrels are very long (for the longest bullet ever invented)

Poole

P
pell123 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
It's over, I decided to go with the Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec!

Surprisingly, as I was at the counter convincing myself which way to go, another guy came in and saw me looking at the rifle and volunteered, "It shoots well... you won't be dissapointed." He was there to pick up an identical one he had on layaway. Not counting his, the store still had two left and I picked out the one I liked. Could not believe they had three of these in stock, and at an excellent price too!

pell123
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pell -

Where'd you buy it?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
how much do those guns run?? there are alot more toys to add to a remmy anyways, as boring as I think a remington is, it does have tons of things you can do to it. with the CZ you got what you got.

P
pell123 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Ben's Loan in Renton, WA. Pawnshop in the front half with the gun area towards the rear. While small, they have a great selection of new and used guns, very competitive prices, and some real gun enthusiasts behind the counter. They are firm on their new gun prices as they are already substantially discounted and they offer these prices to all. Translation, they won't haggle on their new gun prices, that way they don't get customers coming back and whining about what deal they did or did not get.

The price on the Rem 700 SS 5R Mil Spec is $939.

Regardless, I've not seen this same gun on the web for a better price.

pell123
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Rem 700 is certainly a better qualified firearm for your intended purpose and use, with loads of history to back it up. The only thing I would weigh a bit further is the use of a 26-inch barrel in lieu of 24-inch. At 1,000 yards it is mandatory, at 600 yards it is preferred. I am wondering if you just couldn't put one together for yourself. Find a SA Rem action, buy a super match grade barrel (Shillen or PacNor) add a McMillan MilSpec stock and your in biz. No chance of that setup not shooting 0.25-inch MOA with the right 308 Win loads. Action and barrel cost will run $700-$800; stock $300-$500. Not much difference in what you would pay for the 5-R. No matter how you look at it, a custom barrel is hard to beat and Mcmillan, in my opinion, wrote the book on MilSpec stocks and have a track record of shipments to the DoD to prove it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pell123
Ben's Loan in Renton, WA. Pawnshop in the front half with the gun area towards the rear. While small, they have a great selection of new and used guns, very competitive prices, and some real gun enthusiasts behind the counter. They are firm on their new gun prices as they are already substantially discounted and they offer these prices to all. Translation, they won't haggle on their new gun prices, that way they don't get customers coming back and whining about what deal they did or did not get.

The price on the Rem 700 SS 5R Mil Spec is $939.

Regardless, I've not seen this same gun on the web for a better price.

NEVER HEARD OF THE PLACE.

Until about 15 years ago. Great people to deal with and on used guns their even better.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 12/01/07.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember ordering those last Feb. I'm no longer with Ben's Loan, I moved up North to Kesselrings, we have those rifles, also. I can't believe Terry didn't get you to buy the CZ.

SPAD

P
pell123 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
He tried! I know Terry is a big CZ fan, but in the end it just came down as to which one felt better to me. I'm convinced either gun is going to outshoot my capabilities anyway so it just came down to my impressions on look, feel, fit, and finish.

Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

pell123

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.