Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just got my DRC large loop lever for my 1895 XLR. Attempted the drop in installation. The spring loaded catch on my DRC seems a bit smaller than the one on the factory lever. Almost looked liked the square cut in the lever in front of the catch needed a bit of work? Regardless, I got it from Midway USA and it looked like it had been in a gun. I called Midway and the "customer service" rep said it might be so. I was kind of shocked that they would sell a "used" part as new. The "customer service" rep was not the most diplomatic either. I will think twice about ordering from them again.

I bought a DRC because I liked the shape and size a bit better than the others I could find. It took me about 2 hours last night to get the thing to function properly. Several areas need to be filed a bit. This lever was pretty rough compared to what I expected and drcguns.com (anyone know the new address?) website is not functional.

Anyway, I had to take a bit off the lever "flat" where it contacts the frame behind the trigger and dressed up some of the various surfaces of the lever. Just a little it at a time and still could not get it to work properly. I then began comparing the plunger shape, size and spring tension on each lever. The one in the factory lever was cleaner, had a better/sharper shape and the spring was much heavier. I swapped them out and with a bit of fitting it finally worked like it should! However, I also had to smooth up the hole through the lever where it attaches to the gun. The facotry DRC hole was egg shaped and would bind on the screw. Maybe one of there levers escaped QC review, and I think a call to them is in order this week, before I blast them totally.

The machine work and finish on the newer Marlin rifles leaves a lot to be desired! Especially for what they charge for a 1895 XLR! Don't get me wrong I like the gun but it is a work in progress. It shoots VERY well though.

Thanks to 5bshooter on the marlinowner website for all the technical help!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey E-H76, I hang out here some too. Glad you got it all sorted out, you'll soon forget about the hassle of fitting that lever, and will have even more pride of ownership since you had to put the time in to get it running.

Happy Shooting!

Aim small, miss small.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey EH76, I think the reason why it looked like it had been in a gun is because they actually have a couple of rifles in the shop that they test fit each lever in before shipping them out. I just got mine in yesterday and it was the same way. I had to remove approx. 0.002" from the end piece that slides through the bolt b/c it was slightly too long. And, I am having problems with the plunger on the lever of mine too. I called David at DRC today and he was very nice and explained what I needed to do.

My first inclination was to think that for the money spent, it should have been drop in. But, after talking with him, I have changed that opinion. According to David, because there are slight variances from one rifle to another over the many years of manufacturing, and Marlin has to hand fit some of the parts in, sometimes you get lucky and it drops in and sometimes a little fitting is needed. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, the shape of the loop is exactly what I was looking for. Big enough for my hands, but not as big as the loops from Wild West.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
elkhunter76 -I had DRC do a mess of custom work to my Guide Gun and install a loop lever. I love that loop lever! So I ordered the correct model from Brownell's for my 336 and had the same problems you did! I finally said the heck with it and sent it back. The tech at Brownell's said that they'd been getting complaint's about fitting them to older rifles.. If I had a smith that I could trust around here I would have had them do it for me.. You'll love it!!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
huntxs, cej1895 and 5Bshooter,

Now I have to eat a little crow (got any hot sauce?) as I just got off the phone with Dave at DRC. He explained the need for fitting due to Marlin's tolerances and hand fitting during assembly. He explained to me what to do and I related to him what I had done. All was correctly performed. I also visited with him about his website (which will be back in operation soon) and about custom work/prices. He was very polite/professional and willing to take time to talk. Never bashed his competitors and even complemented some of their work/parts/accessories. Just thought I would let you know. And thanks for all of your input! By the way I do like the DRC lever shape the best. I put Brockman winged sights on my 1895 and love them. Don't think I will ever scope that rifle.

Keith

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
elkhunter76 - No need to eat crow! I just wish I had the tools and the talent to do what you did to get it to work... Truth be told I think Brownell's states in the ad that some hand fitting may be requred... Guess I should have paid more attention to that! whistle

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
cej1895,

I am in No way even close to being a smith. Heck I can't even type. I like to tinker is all! grin Nothing special involved. A good quality fine toothed metal file, a small round file such as is used to sharpen chainsaws and some emery cloth. Acutally, if you want to try it again, give Dave a call. He is very helpful.

Keith

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Glad to hear that you got it worked out. You're right, a fine metal file, I used some 400 and 600 grit sand paper, and patience. In looking at my factory lever, it is easy to see where Marlin had to hand fit to get it to work (blueing gone and shiny metal where they had to hand file a few little places on the lever). I put the lever screw through the DRC loop and the factory loop so that they were side by side and then carefully made the DRC loop match the factory lever. Works great now.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keith:
How about a picture of the finished product.
And a Merry CHRISTmas to all,
Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
elkhunter76 - I may just have Dave do it! I've been thinking about sending him my dad's .35 Rem to him one of these days and having it set up the same as my guide gun.. Straight stock and all... Now, where'd I put those lottery numbers? grin

Last edited by CEJ1895; 12/26/07. Reason: spellin

IC B3

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Photography is defintely not my area of expertise, kind of like typing! grin Good pictures are a stroke of luck for me. These aren't very good but they give you an idea. Now if I can just make that safety look better! Looked in to making this a takedown model, but like CEJ1895 I better win the lottery first! Just always liked the idea of a takedown lever action rifle!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Help a slow person out. What is DRC. I like the lever and need one

M
M
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=9&Categoryid=18002&categorystring=10636***10560***9216***

This should take you there. It's sold by Midway USA

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
KYFRED

Sorry for not getting back to you. Been away from this thread a while.

try www.brownells.com too

DRC was supposed to have a website up by now, but must be having issues with it.

Brockmann's makes one too as does Wild West Guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elkhunter76,

How do your paws fit into that loop with big old heavy gloves on?

I've been wanting to do one of these to my 444 for a while now. The Wild West loop looks bigger, not sure if it's needed though.

Black Cows Matter!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just for reference, here is a pic of mine installed on a straight grip stock. I love mine, and can wear gloves with it (and I have big hands). Much better than the stock lever, but I did have to do some minor filing and fitting to get it to work perfectly.
[Linked Image]

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
muleshoe,

I have big hands and don't usually wear real heavy gloves. Just leather or fleece shooters mittens. The 2 biggest reasons I changed it was the sharp edges on the original and that it was too small for my hands without gloves.

eh76

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
eh76,

My DRC lever came in yesterday. I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it last night but did get it stuck in and found that it wouldn't lock up to allow trigger pull. Was your's like this to begin with? If I squeeze the crap out of it I can just barely get it up far enough, but by no means is it right.

Also, it appears that the metal is not as thick where the lever attaches to the rifle. So with the screw in it has a bit of slop back and forth and will bind when cycled quickly. You didn't happen to run across that too did you?

The locking up problem I can see getting fixed with some more filing, but the slop in the pivot? Since I've already done some filing on it I affraid It's beyond return.

I do like the smoothness and the looks of it.

You got a number for Dave at DRC?

Black Cows Matter!
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
muleshoe,

Call Dave at DRC 817-783-6099

I had to do a little fitting as well. I contacted 5Bshooter, who posted higher in this thread. He was most helpful. I also called Dave after I had it installed and described the same process. It isn't hard. Apparently there is a lot of fitting in assembly at Marlin. Mine wasn't exactly tight but not at all sloppy. Dave is a good person to deal with and was very helpful.

Some other helpful information can be found on www.marlinowners.com

eh76

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
eh76,

Well I called Dave yesterday and within about 4 minutes he was able to tell me what I had to file on and how much to fix my problems with the fitting of his lever. 10 minutes after hanging up the phone I had it working like a champ. Now I just need to do a little work on the screw that holds the lever to get shed of the slop. That'll happen today when I get some time.

Thank for the help!

Black Cows Matter!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 33 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.