Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The reliable Remington Model 700 has been offered in many variations over the years. One of the best of those has been the Model 700 Mountain Rifle. The Model 700 Mountain Rifle is trim, light and classically-styled. It handles beautifully.

What I have for sale is a very special Remington M700 Mountain Rifle � a 7x57 Mauser Mountain Rifle. While Remington has offered the Model 700 Mountain Rifle model continuously since 1986, it was offered in 7x57 Mauser only from 1990 to 1994. Good luck finding one for sale. There are a few around, but not many. And prices tend to run high.

Here's my 7x57 Remington M700 Mountain Rifle.

[Linked Image]

The 7x57 Mauser has been called the granddaddy of all modern centerfire rifle cartridges. It was first introduced in 1892 for a bolt-action rifle that ultimately came to be known as the Spanish Mauser. It saw great service in the Boer War in Africa, where bush-savvy Boers used it to pick off English troops at remarkable distances. It also performed so well during the Spanish-American War against American troops that its effectiveness convinced the U.S. War Department to begin development of its own .30 caliber round, a cartridge which eventually became the .30-06 Springfield.

In time, the 7X57 Mauser found its way into hunting fields around the world. Surprisingly, the 7x57�s most famous proponent was none other than fabled elephant hunter Karamojo Bell, who favored it for brain shots on big jumbo. For that use, he utilized long, heavy-for-caliber solid bullets. Few rifle cartridges still available are more classic than the 7x57 Mauser.

[Linked Image]

This particular 7X57 Mountain Rifle has seen a good bit of hunting. I purchased it used. The metalwork and barrel are in fine shape, although I�d have to rate the factory finish on the stock at about 90%. It has the usual assortment of surface scratches and dings, as you would expect with a rifle that has climbed mountains and downed game. Those scratches, however, haven�t affected the rifle�s accuracy one little bit. Using run-of-the-mill Remington factory 140-grain Core-Lokts, it repeatedly punches 1.5-inch groups at 100 yards. Handloading would undoubtedly tighten that up nicely.

What�s maybe been most surprising about this rifle and cartridge is how little it recoils for such an effective round. This rifle/cartridge combination is a pure pleasure to shoot.

[Linked Image]

Just this past fall, I used this rifle while hunting antelope in Wyoming.

Late on the third day, I finally found an excellent buck running 15 does all over a wide basin below a tall, rocky rim. I circle behind the ridge, closed to within 500 yards of the herd and then set up in the prone position in a clump of sagebrush on the lip of the rim. The only good chance I might have would come if one of the does were to break out of the harem, run my way and the buck would follow to round her up.

After 20 minutes of watching and waiting, an old doe did just what I wanted. The buck raced out after her and they both stopped broadside at 254 lasered yards from my hidden position. I was still lying prone and my Mountain Rifle was rested over my pack. I held right on his backline and 3 inches into the wind, and the 7x57 dropped him like a rock. The shot centered his lungs and came out low on his chest on the far side. Now I see why the old timers loved the 7x57 Mauser. My buck measured 14 inches and had great mass.

[Linked Image]

This sale is for the rifle only, and does NOT include the mounts and scope shown in these photos. Given all of the above, I would like to get just $700 for this special 7x57 Mountain Rifle. Add $35 for surface shipping to your FFL agent.

I can be contacted at billinsidearchery.com.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a for sale post!! Nice rifle indeed.

J

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could you write the copy for my next sale item?

Nice rifle, too.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hey great articule..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Could you write the copy for my next sale item?

Nice rifle, too.

+1. After reading that I can never post anything for sale ever again.

Now what can I sell to buy this gun????

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice Wood.

CK

CK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
timberline,

My hat is off to you sir... In about a hundred years (well maybe a few less than that) of looking at gun ads, that's the nicest one I've ever seen!

[Linked Image]

You are the greatest. If you don't write ad copy for a living then you missed your calling.

btw... Very nice rifle too...

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ditto what the above have said....WELL DONE!!!

If you want to know how well the government manages things, ask an Indian!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice ad...

Can you tell me what the barrel length and weight of this rifle is? Do these Mountain Rifle stocks have a cheek piece?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a post, You could call yourself the professor instead of timberline. I just bought one in .257 roberts, or I'd jump on it. I'm going to see what I have to sell. Interested in any trades? Approx how many rounds through the rifle? Thanks Don

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
- Notebook, 1894 Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
what the barrel length and weight of this rifle is? Do these Mountain Rifle stocks have a cheek piece?

Sorry for jumping in here, but I have the same rifle.
22 inch barrel, yes it has a cheek piece.

I may save this write-up incase I sell my 7X57 Mnt rifle! grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Teeder,
Somehow I figured to see you here. Remember you promised!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Muleshoe - Barrel length is 22 inches, and the rifle alone weighes 6 pounds 12 ounces. With Talley lightweight mounts and the Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 scope shown in the photos (not included), that rifle & scope package weighes exactly 7 pounds 9.4 ounces. And yes, the Remington Mountain Rifles do have a very attractive rollover cheekpiece. See below.

[Linked Image]

Nilwod - I am the second owner of this rifle, so I don't honestly know how many total rounds have been fired. I do know that I've fired maybe 200 rounds. Pure hunting rifles tend not to get fired all that much.

VERY interesting trades would be considered, or make me an offer.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Teeder,
Somehow I figured to see you here. Remember you promised!

The subject line kind of drew my eye to it! grin

I thought you were out of the 7X57 business? I'll keep you at the top of the list.
With that I'll quit hijacking the thread. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bump for a nice rifle, incase no one bought it yet.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Timberline, I sent you an email. That thing just might have to relocate to my safe... when it's not out in the field, that is.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Folically Challenged, I've sent you a PM and an email.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IS this rifle still for sale, and did bigwhoop ever sell his or decide to keep it?
Timberline, IIRC you spent some time earlier this year looking all over for this rifle?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This superb rifle is now SOLD, pending receipt of funds. Thanks for looking.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kimber7man,
I couldn't sell it after all. Something about the old cartridge that keeps pulling me back. And, I am a .270 nut! Go figger.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
295 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 28 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.