24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Have you ever wanted to try long-range handguning? Have you ever thought about hunting whitetails, mule deer, antelope or even elk with an ultra-accurate handgun?

When I finally decided to try handgun hunting, my gun decision was easy. I�d always wanted a Remington XP-100.

[Linked Image]

Remington sprung the XP-100 on the shooting world in 1963. While the gun was short, the headline in Remington�s introductory magazine ad was long: �This is the revolutionary new Remington XP-100. It shoots faster, flatter, farther and tighter than and handgun in history!� Clearly, modesty was not in the XP-100�s vocabulary.

Yet over the next 30 years, as Remington offered the XP-100 in a surprisingly broad variety of configurations, the XP built a solid reputation that confirmed exactly what that first ad had claimed. This was a long-range hunting handgun with few peers. When Remington finally discontinued the XP-100 in 1994, serious long-range handgunners wept.

[Linked Image]

There is no doubt that a huge part of the Remington XP-100s appeal was its unorthodox appearance. A forward grip and trigger assemble, a dog-leg bolt handle and a simulated wood-grain DuPont �Zytel� structural nylon stock complete with white diamond inlays rounded out the XP�s 007 look. But underlying all of that distinctive styling was a natural balance, feel and functionality that was surprising. In others words, most Remington XP-100s handled wonderfully and shot lights out.

Today, 13 years after being discontinued, Remington XP-100s are still surprisingly available, with used models fetching prices a good bit higher than their original purchase price. That alone says volumes about the merit of this handgun classic.

I purchased this particular XP-100 several years ago from a expert gunsmith who had re-chambered it�s factory-standard 14.5-inch barrel to 7mm-08 Remington. That hunting-oriented improvement makes it an ideal handgun choice for deer, antelope and even elk.

[Linked Image]

The gunsmith also re-stamped the barrel after that carefully re-chambering. It was originally a 7mm Bench Rest Remington.

[Linked Image]

This special XP-100 is super accurate, hits game hard and recoils surprisingly little. Most of all, it�s just plan fun to shoot. Ask anyone who has ever owned or shot an XP-100 � they�ll tell you that a Remington XP-100 represents loads of shooting fun..

[Linked Image]

I�ve set up this particular XP-100 for serious hunting with a like-new Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 handgun scope in superb Ken Farrel (www.kenfarrel.com) mounts and matching rings. These special mounts are mil-spec, picatinny-type and are incredibly strong and stable, making them ideal for an ultra-accurate hunting handgun.

[Linked Image]

So what I�m really selling here is a COMPLETE, ready-to-shoot, ready-to-hunt setup!

Included in that package is the XP-100 handgun, Leupold VX3 handgun scope, Ken Farrel mounts, a soft case, an extra factory stock and a custom leather hunting holster made by Pistol Packaging (www.pistolpackaging.com).

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/Picture045.jpg[/img]

Pistol Packaging custom made the holster to fit this particular XP-100. It can be attached to your pack, belt or chest harness, and makes carrying and hunting with this XP-100 both comfortable and easy.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/Picture049.jpg[/img]

Just to give you an idea of what we�ve got here - used XP-100s typically go for $500 to $600, the mounts and rings run about $150, the custom holster is about $100 and the Leupold VX3 handgun scope alone would cost $470 new. That�s $ 1,220 if you were to try to assemble this superb long-range handgun package today.

But, I�d take just $775 for the entire package, which includes ALL of the above items. Add $35 for surface shipping to your FFL agent.

How does this particular XP-100 shoot?

I recently hunted Wyoming antelope with this XP-100, and here�s how it went.

Working my way up the windy Wyoming ridge was easy. The XP-100 was tucked away in the custom black leather holster from Pistol Packaging. Having both hands free, as I negotiated that rocky Wyoming landscape, proved just one of the benefits of handgun hunting.

After hours of glassing, I finally located a good antelope buck with a sizable herd of does. A long stalk ensued and ended in a jumble of car-sized boulders on a ridgetop above the herd. The buck was totally unaware of my presence.

Easing into position, I carefully rested the XP-100 over my backpack.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/Wyoming2005-ShootingXP-100.jpg[/img]

When the buck turned broadside, my laser rangefinder indicated that the distance was exactly 157 yards. I took several deep breaths and settled into my much-practiced shooting routine. When the trigger broke, I knew the shot was good. I was shooting standard Federal factory ammunition, and the 140-grain Ballistic Tip nailed him squarely through the front shoulders. He rocked at the impact, stumbled 20 yards and went down in a heap.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/WyAntelope2005-1.jpg[/img]

Nearly a half century ago, Remington introduced a futuristic-looking hunting handgun that promised to shoot better and farther than any handgun in history. The legendary Remington XP-100 is still doing that.

With this completely-set-up Remington XP-100, you can join in the fun.

Post here, send me a private message or email me at billinsidearchery.com to talk about that possibility, or to quickly make me an offer for this classy handgun setup.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wow, that is a good deal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you write or photograph for a living? Your making us all look bad......

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Are you interested in any trades?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daveh
Do you write or photograph for a living? Your making us all look bad......

Was thinking same thing. If he don't, he missed his calling. laugh

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
He does...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
another well written for sale ad by timberline. Why the fire-sale of all your quality weapons?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bill,

Have you ever shot this through a chronograph?

Mark

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Yes, I do some writing. But at the core I am simply a super-serious hunter, like so many on this forum, that now and then needs to sell a few older things in order to afford a few newer things. I often do that with firearms � buy one, use it and enjoy it, and then sell or trade it away in order to try something else? That approach isn�t very cost effective, but it sure is fun. Curse me for being a hunting gear nut.

And yes, interesting trades would be considered.

No, I have not chronographer this gun or the factory loads I�ve used. Tested it on antelope instead. Worked! A chronograph would be interesting, though. Good thought.

Bill

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
pm sent with offer.

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bill, It has been many years, ( not that you look bad) and I finally think I now figured it out. I spoke with you many moons ago about a Wapiti TD, by Chastain. If your the same Bill K. I think you did some stuff for Kitteredge also or are you some other Bill? You were a gentleman to me when I had a lot of questions in the early 80's. You have some nice weapons, going to be posting any more? Don

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
- Notebook, 1894 Mark Twain
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I think you should sell used cars

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
sold it yet? im interested

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Timberline, you have a PM

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for your interest. This XP-100 is now sold, pending receipt of funds.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Damn, should have read quicker............

If things fall through, I have trade material if you could put me in line.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Timberline,

OK... Quit teasing us and go ahead and state the price for your services. <grin>

Seriously though... That was a whopping deal on the XP and I wish I would have seen it earlier. <sigh>

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
125 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.