CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1864017 - 12/12/07 01:35 PM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: Floridabigfish]
KYFRED Offline
Campfire Regular

Florida Big Fish:

I'd like to hear more about your area. y family just purchased a home on St Georges Island and I would ove to find the key times to come down and fish off shore for cobia, off teh beach for pompano, specks, reds, in the bay and any other key times of the year.

#1864126 - 12/12/07 02:30 PM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: KYFRED]
458 Lott Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Conundrum, Alaska
Out of Valdez or Cordova they can hook you up on salmon sharks.

#1866236 - 12/13/07 12:34 PM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: KYFRED]
Floridabigfish Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Pinhook River
 Originally Posted By: KYFRED
Florida Big Fish:

I'd like to hear more about your area. y family just purchased a home on St Georges Island and I would ove to find the key times to come down and fish off shore for cobia, off teh beach for pompano, specks, reds, in the bay and any other key times of the year.

Hey,

SGI is just a short drive west (1.5hr). We fish over that way a good bit, especially for Tarpon during the hottest parts of the summer (in the bay and off the beach). Pompano run is early in the spring, east end is best area but can be caught off the beach. Specks & reds in spring and again in fall. Some of the best red fishing is in October timeframe, we like to fish the shorelines and nearby oyster bars mostly using artificals (Berkley Gulp baits, shallow water crankbaits (my favorite)and topwater). The offshore fishing is also great, grouper/snapper within a few miles of the beach with numerous artifical reefs and navigation towers availabe. I'm sure there is a cobia migration that comes to SGI but the best areas are PanamaCity/Destin to the west. Lots of speck fishing in fall/early winter (not my fortay) but look around the island bridge and nearby oyster bars there. Tides are the key and the tides in the bay can be kinda funky at times (sometimes only 2 tides a day).

#1866346 - 12/13/07 01:28 PM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: Floridabigfish]
KYFRED Offline
Campfire Regular

Yea: We were down there in October and caught a few specks in the bay just wading. No Reds, but will keep trying. Also caught a few croakers(?), pin fish, way too many catfish and some other types of fish primarily using shrimp. Also caught a few whiting in teh surf. I was hoping for more surf action, but may have been there the wrong time of year. My parents are there for the winter, but the house will be vacant all summer. My father is starting to be invited off shore and loving it. I am pushing for him to get an in-shore/bay boat so that we can better fish the area. It is an absolutely great place to fish and vacation, but I will not tell anyone.

How have you liked the new artifical shrimplike Gulp baits?

#1866855 - 12/13/07 05:00 PM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: KYFRED]
JJHACK Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Touchet Wa. & Ellisras South ...
Too expensive for salt water fish. Salt water fish have way too manny teeth which rip them to bits and after 2 mackeral they are done. Real shrimp are less expensive and work 100%

Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted

#1867737 - 12/14/07 06:07 AM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: KYFRED]
Floridabigfish Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Pinhook River
Love the Gulp but NOT for mackerl fishing....lol

Really, they catch specks & reds better than live bait. A favorite rig is one of the Redfish Spinner Baits (single spinner with leadhead jig) with a glup 4" pogy or swimming mullet. Keep the bait off the bottom and you won't catch as many trash fish.

My secret weapon around oyster bars: Tennessee Shad SwimingImage crank bait. Reds EAT EM.

Good Luck.

#1868112 - 12/14/07 09:23 AM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: Floridabigfish]
GeorgeS3 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Red Stick, La
Don't be tellin all the secrets!!!!! \:D \:D \:D

George

#1883291 - 12/20/07 10:28 AM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: Floridabigfish]
ltppowell Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: SE Texas
Thanks Jim! Great pics! I've only seen one live sawfish in my life. Is the boy holding a small nurse? I like that pic best of all.

#1883888 - 12/20/07 02:34 PM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: ltppowell]
JJHACK Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Touchet Wa. & Ellisras South ...
Yep, it's a little nurse shark, he caught several bigger, maybe close to 4 foot. I did not take those out of the water. This one or maybe one of the other small ones he carried to the room to show his mom. She was......... as you might guess thrilled with him packing around a live "shark" to show her.

Here is another photo, maybe the same shark? Maybe a different one. On 8lb line with a 6 ft ultra light and a deliberately light drag he had a ball catching these from that pier at night.

Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted

#1884568 - 12/20/07 07:09 PM Re: Sport fishing capitol of the world! [Re: JJHACK]
ltppowell Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: SE Texas
That's awesome Jim! We don't catch nurse's until we go way offshoe, then not often. I've got some pic's of my lttle boy (now a teen mutant) sitting on some bulls at the beach, so I know just what ya'meen about Mom. God, I love kids with fish!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on SWAROVSKI OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
596 registered (1beaver_shooter, 280Ackleyrized, 1sgLunde, 1_deuce, 280fan, 73 invisible), 1677 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50166 Members
72 Forums
627707 Topics
8997155 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.