Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Marathon and Islamorada in the Florida Keys make the claim they are the apex of sportfishing on earth. After ten years of annual 1-2 week trips there, ....... well I think I have to agree. This is a place so loaded with fish, and great condidtions that it's amazing if you don't catch trememdous fish there.

Here is a little photo post with just some of the fish we caught in a week. I spent quite a lot of time diving at the reefs for. However I spent many full days fishing and several partial days fishing when the tides were right.

I primarily target inshore sharks and use my own light to medium weight spinning gear. Each one hooked requires a fight that is in the area of an hour or more to get to the boat. From there we unhook them and release them. I do keep one or two in the 30-40" range as they are so good to eat. One day I caught 9 sharks and a sawfish, I also lost three when the hooks straightened out. I fixed that the next time out with a bit bigger hooks and never lost another one. One 170lb (est) Blacktip (7ft)came out of the water 8 times, once was within 10 feet of the boat!

I also caught Cobia, grouper, tarpon(80 and one just about 100lbs) Jacks, Mackeral, bull sharks, Lemon sharks, Dusky sharks, Hammerhead sharks, Blacktip shark and spinner sharks ( the ultimate jumping sportfish) Probably more species but that is what comes to mind.

Cobia and Jack cravale are argueably the most powerful fish for their size I have ever had on my line. A 20lb Cobia will rip drag endlessly and dive for many minutes even with medium weigh gear. With my light 12lb spinning rod they are a battle for 15-25 minutes of constant drag screaming runs each time they get within 20 feet of the boat they rip loose 40 yards of drag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Gotta love Circle hooks, every single fish hooked was exactly the same, it's like driving an Automatic Transmission. Just let him take the bait and hang on, perfect hookups every time, and never in the mouth were they can bite the leader while fighting!
[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/1jessenurse07.jpg[/img]

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool pics, Jim....looks like a great time.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm dying to find a place to catch salmon sharks up off the coast of AK. I know your not there right now, but we gotta sort this out.

My situation here is all good when I'm away now with the "grandparents" here looking over the place too, makes time away relaxing knowing everything is being watched over for me!

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...That sawfish is a really rare trophy catch! Great photos of a great fishing area!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad all is well on the homefront...even the water situation is fixed?

Haven't found any salmon sharks to speak of locally, but Bill and I used to have them dialed in out of Seward. Doubles, triples...calling all our friends who wanted one and telling 'em to come on down...they're easy when you can find them.

Your pics remind me I need a beach break. Plenty of sun here, but not the right atmosphere...

IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Your folks water is perfect, their new barn is going up as I type this

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, they've been pretty excited. Good to see...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very cool pics indeed....looks like the little guy had a blast!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang!!!!!

Is it Friday yet?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You might want to come down to the Redneck Riviera one spring for the cobia (ling) migration. Sight casting to migrating fish just off the beach from a sportfishing boat's tower.

Very cool fun!

mid march thru mid may.....prime time 2nd & 3rd week of April.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Florida Big Fish:

I'd like to hear more about your area. y family just purchased a home on St Georges Island and I would ove to find the key times to come down and fish off shore for cobia, off teh beach for pompano, specks, reds, in the bay and any other key times of the year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out of Valdez or Cordova they can hook you up on salmon sharks.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by KYFRED
Florida Big Fish:

I'd like to hear more about your area. y family just purchased a home on St Georges Island and I would ove to find the key times to come down and fish off shore for cobia, off teh beach for pompano, specks, reds, in the bay and any other key times of the year.

Hey,

SGI is just a short drive west (1.5hr). We fish over that way a good bit, especially for Tarpon during the hottest parts of the summer (in the bay and off the beach). Pompano run is early in the spring, east end is best area but can be caught off the beach. Specks & reds in spring and again in fall. Some of the best red fishing is in October timeframe, we like to fish the shorelines and nearby oyster bars mostly using artificals (Berkley Gulp baits, shallow water crankbaits (my favorite)and topwater). The offshore fishing is also great, grouper/snapper within a few miles of the beach with numerous artifical reefs and navigation towers availabe. I'm sure there is a cobia migration that comes to SGI but the best areas are PanamaCity/Destin to the west. Lots of speck fishing in fall/early winter (not my fortay) but look around the island bridge and nearby oyster bars there. Tides are the key and the tides in the bay can be kinda funky at times (sometimes only 2 tides a day).

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yea: We were down there in October and caught a few specks in the bay just wading. No Reds, but will keep trying. Also caught a few croakers(?), pin fish, way too many catfish and some other types of fish primarily using shrimp. Also caught a few whiting in teh surf. I was hoping for more surf action, but may have been there the wrong time of year. My parents are there for the winter, but the house will be vacant all summer. My father is starting to be invited off shore and loving it. I am pushing for him to get an in-shore/bay boat so that we can better fish the area. It is an absolutely great place to fish and vacation, but I will not tell anyone.

How have you liked the new artifical shrimplike Gulp baits?

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Too expensive for salt water fish. Salt water fish have way too manny teeth which rip them to bits and after 2 mackeral they are done. Real shrimp are less expensive and work 100%

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Love the Gulp but NOT for mackerl fishing....lol

Really, they catch specks & reds better than live bait. A favorite rig is one of the Redfish Spinner Baits (single spinner with leadhead jig) with a glup 4" pogy or swimming mullet. Keep the bait off the bottom and you won't catch as many trash fish.

My secret weapon around oyster bars: Tennessee Shad SwimingImage crank bait. Reds EAT EM.

Good Luck.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don't be tellin all the secrets!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Jim! Great pics! I've only seen one live sawfish in my life. Is the boy holding a small nurse? I like that pic best of all.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, it's a little nurse shark, he caught several bigger, maybe close to 4 foot. I did not take those out of the water. This one or maybe one of the other small ones he carried to the room to show his mom. She was......... as you might guess thrilled with him packing around a live "shark" to show her.

Here is another photo, maybe the same shark? Maybe a different one. On 8lb line with a 6 ft ultra light and a deliberately light drag he had a ball catching these from that pier at night.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's awesome Jim! We don't catch nurse's until we go way offshoe, then not often. I've got some pic's of my lttle boy (now a teen mutant) sitting on some bulls at the beach, so I know just what ya'meen about Mom. God, I love kids with fish!!!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.