Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ya no point made at all whatsoever just a dumb statement of STFU. cool!

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rost495
Never was impressed with Towsley, being a competitive shooter and reading some of his competitive shooting articles, one learns real quick he may be a writer, he is not a shooter.
And getting the info from a mag article, especially an NRA one, well trust what you want, I prefer real world info.

Jeff

That's for sure Jeff. I can not understand where he comes from sometimes. I think he's even worse on the American Rifleman TV program. To me he's a little on the nerdy side of things.

Steve

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good, thought I might be alone in my feelings again....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rost-I'd rather be alone and right than...

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've been worse.... Never got time to say it, but congrats on the deer this year!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks! That little buck on public gamelands was sure a prize to me!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Good, thought I might be alone in my feelings again....

Jeff

Not hardly, Jeff. When he posted his resume a year or so ago, I thought I'd give him another chance, but he really doesn't say much, regardless of how many words he uses. Probably a nice guy, but many on this site and formerly on this site are better informed/educated in these matters, and most of these guys don't shill for the latest advertiser. But heck, it's his job. I don't understand why those who do it don't admit it.

Hope I haven't upset Ken again. That's never my intention.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey guys, sorry for offending you by referencing Towsley's article on the 338Fed. We all have opinions about people /stuff but does that play with the mathematics of these guns? If the guy is a nerd does that slow bullets down? If he is a retard does that negate what a gun/ctg is capable of? Kinda sounds like the way democrats think about Limbaugh--"so what if he is correct,he's not politically correct" they'd say. I don't care who develops or touts an item, if it's good I'm interested.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nah, it doesn't affect how a round operates, UNTIL you fudge figures or take factory figures to heart....

I'll go you this much, if the 308 is considered a long range round, which to me it is not, then the 338 could be the same.

In the meantime, simple common sense says you go up in caliber, you have to go up in weight to regain length which is BC. When you take the exact same case and do this you cannot push it faster and you've gone past what the original is capable of.

IMHO.

Jeff

Edit to add, my beef is with the 338 coming across as a better LR round than the standard 308. I think the 338 is a grand sounding round and I'm sure I'll have one or a 358 round one of these years. I can find a reason to at least. But it won't be due to wanting LR shots.

Last edited by rost495; 12/15/07.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But if the 338Fed can be easily made to shoot as flat as a 308 does that negate its usefulness?

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's all in definition. The box says a .22lr is good for a mile. That's pretty far.

And I wasn't offended, it's just that you need to keep Towsley in context and AR isn't the reference source it once was - about 40 years ago.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Flat never impressed me. Wind resistance does.

So we are now thinking there is a way that the 338 will be as wind resistant as a 308. Even with admittedly stubbier bullets?

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stubbier? Look up the #'s of 338 projectiles. It's not by accident there has been development of long range guns in this cal. All the current naysayers about 338 Fed would have been the same goats 50 yrs ago that couldn't accept the 308Win raining on the parade of the beloved '06. Now they trip all over themselves talking about what a well balanced ctg the 308 is. What about that now great ctg called 284Win that nobody bought 50 yrs ago? Now every loonie wants one of them (same with 358Win). Anyone can put their head in sand but it changes nothing about what a gun/ctg is capable of.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Look, the BC of the 338 is great in heavy bullets, how fast do you think a 308 case can push a high bc bullet in the 250-300 grain range with some 40 grains of powder, thats meant for 70-80 grains of powder.

And the 308 did not rain on the 06, the 06 still pushes the same bullet BC wise as the 08 but faster. How thats being rained on I'm not at all sure.

One could say the 223 rained on the 308 also, but there is no way the 223 trumps the 308, it can more or less hold up with it though, much like the 308 can with the 06.

Care to shoot me some BCs of the 338 bullets you are so high on? And the MV of them thats possible in that case then? Then we'll compare to a 175 VLD up to a 210 VLD in the 308 and see where we stand.

Now again, for hunting guns, I'd rather have the extra umph of the larger/fatter bullets... But I still will not consider the 338 Fed as an ideal long range round.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
180 Accubonds BC at 372. Factory loads give me 2730fps. I'm sure I can do 2900fps with handloads as I'm already getting 2870fps with 185TSXs which have a BC of 437. 200 gr Speers BC at 448 and they leave at 2690fps. Please run the #s as I'd like to know. One of the heavier bullets I'll try this spring is the 210gr Swift Scirroco with a BC of 507. The Factory 210 Partitions chrono at 2505fps so I think I can add 100-150 fps to that with handloads. Be subjective, don't hate sumpin just cuz it's new and you ain't got one---yet.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Objective?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NO! Subjective. As in "get busy and get it done". Objective will take care of itself as ballistics are not opinion affected and I'd like to know the truth even if it doesn't support my opinion.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's another redefinition.

I'm starting to understand why you like Towsley.

U
UMT Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U

I wasn�t going to respond, but you guys have this one so wrong I just can�t help myself.

I just thought I would set the record straight on this competition shooting topic. Sorry to disappoint you, but I am indeed a competitive shooter. I started in the seventies with bullseye, three-position rifle and PPC. Later I picked up IHMSA where I was the second person in my region to earn an International class rating. I quit in the mid-eighties, like a lot of other shooters, when the leadership of IHMSA screwed up the sport.

Marriage, kids and work took over and I didn�t compete for several years. When my son became interested seven or eight years ago we started Cowboy Action Shooting where I am still active today. I also dabble in USPSA (IPSC) and I shoot in club matches in sporting clays and skeet.

Because I am very busy with work and recently with building an addition on my home and because hunting is my first love, my level of competition swings widely year to year. Three years ago I shot in more than twenty matches during our short summer. Last year, because of several factors, I didn�t shoot any other than our own informal matches at our family shooting range. This year, who knows? But I am setting up a new CAS rifle in anticipation of plenty of shooting. At the urging of my friend Randy Luth at DPMS we are also looking into three-gun matches in our area and hope to start competing at that sport.

I was even hired to work for the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games in 1996 in the Olympic shooting events at Wolf Creek because of my experience.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

As for the nerd factor on television. My wife and kids agree with you, so what can I say?

Bryce M. Towsley

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Thanks for setting the record straight, Bryce.

Now wondering if some can type with their foot in their mouth. grin

BTDT myself. blush wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.