-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I stumbled onto this a while ago and am curious as to wheather it is worth grabbing. Below is a photo and the sellers description. Some of you might have seen this already. I am not sure if I should grab it because I know nothing about these rifles. Any offer of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike...

Savage Model 7, semi auto rifle, .22 LR caliber with magazine feed, 24" barrel and hand checkered walnut stock. Has Weaver T1 mount with Weaver 29S scope, all are in excellent condition. Also comes with original WWII period paper work for scope and original peep sight and screws. All mounted in custom wooden box for this easy take-down rifle. Box measures 34" x 6 1/4" and is lined with brown felt, handsomely done with excellent fit. This rifle was manufactured in Utica, NY by Savage Arms Co., circa 1930, and has no serial number, but FFL is still required. This complete and unusual gun, scope, box and original paperwork combination is priced at ... $???.??

[Linked Image]

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike,

1939 to about 1947/48. I can't say if the case is factory or not. The rest sounds about right. Rick99 would have better handle on these. If all is correct, maybe a rare bird. I doubt many were cased as these were not particularly expensive rifles. I'd be interested in more details and if you acquire it.

Steve

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Steve. I do not believe that the case is factory! I am going to call and see if I can get more info tomorrow. Hopefully Rick will chime in with some insight. Any idea what I should be paying for this??

Thanks, Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apparently $525.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Interesting Mad Dog. "Apparently" is a strong word, unless you spoke with the seller and are sure that this, and only this price, would be acceptible to him. Since I doubt that you have done this, I am curious as to why you would say apparently?

MMMMMMMM.............. Very interesting!!!!!

Mike....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cause I was just reading the ad for it.

I don't think a #7 is worth that if the case ain't factory. If it is factory then ya, I think it'd be worth it, never seen a cased #7 before.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike,

It is difficult to say. Since there isn't any serial numbers only an approximate date can be established based on rifle characteristics such as checkered PG stock or not, fluted comb or not,trigger guard type, cocking knob shape, sights,etc. Not cataloged with fore end checkering at any time.

You should ask for the barrel address and the exact model number. Is it 7 or 7A or what?

Bottom line Mike is there isn't much collector interest in these yet except among some of us I suppose. Of course condition means a lot. They are good shooters. Can you do a face to face and look at it?

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Mad Dog, thanks Steve. I will call tomorrow and see if I can get all of these questions answered. I do not feel that the case is factory but hey, you never know!! I will post any info that I can get from the seller. Looks like a fun rifle.....

Thanks again, Mike...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe,

Gotta be a story with this rifle I would think to have all those accessories with it. Likely never know it though.

Looking at that cocking knob, I think that may be an early rifle. Can't tell much else except the PG is checked and the comb fluted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
curious as to wheather it is worth grabbing

No.
No.
No.
Them things is junk.
I see 25$ worth of firearm...50$ worth of accoutrments.

Listen with your ears.Or they will make you stupid.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Junk because of what it is, or junk because of when it was made???

Thanks, Mike...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Junk cuz they was made junk.
Savage only made one rifle...was the 99.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
grin grin grin

Mike...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beg to differ with you there Jedster,

Savage also made a very under rated short action bolt rifle that is a jewel / wand in the uplands, The Model "1920". smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll stand by my statement.
Begging seems so below you Bert.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jed_1899
Junk cuz they was made junk.
Savage only made one rifle...was the 99.

Jed is always beating around the bush! whistle He never posts what he really thinks grin grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More accurating Jed, ya, it's a 1899 250-3000 barrel on my Model 1920.

That little rifle is actually be lightest / easiest for me to carry. (dispatched a deer with it the other week, using a Marbles 170 and those tiny 25 Auto bullets)

But then again if not for this fine Canadian health care system, I might be pretty close to begging or selling off all my Savages... wink

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rgr223cal
I stumbled onto this a while ago and am curious as to wheather it is worth grabbing. Below is a photo and the sellers description. Some of you might have seen this already. I am not sure if I should grab it because I know nothing about these rifles. Any offer of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike...

Savage Model 7, semi auto rifle, .22 LR caliber with magazine feed, 24" barrel and hand checkered walnut stock. Has Weaver T1 mount with Weaver 29S scope, all are in excellent condition. Also comes with original WWII period paper work for scope and original peep sight and screws. All mounted in custom wooden box for this easy take-down rifle. Box measures 34" x 6 1/4" and is lined with brown felt, handsomely done with excellent fit. This rifle was manufactured in Utica, NY by Savage Arms Co., circa 1930, and has no serial number, but FFL is still required. This complete and unusual gun, scope, box and original paperwork combination is priced at ... $???.??

[Linked Image]

Hey Mike
It's a Nice Looking Set.
I Like it it Looks Great,,What Ever Your CDeccession is Make it Your Own.
If It Where Me I grab It.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Real close, reeeeaaaal close................ grin grin grin

Mike...

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.