Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

This question has been stirring in my head so I'll ask you guy's who may have experiemented with them.

Are Forster co-ax presses better than Rock chucker supremes?

I have floated all my dies, and shell plates (if possible) on my Dillon and my Rockchucker.. I don't think the Forster floating system would produce better rounds but I've never used one.

Spot

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I'm not a gunwriter, I've been using a Co-Ax for about 5-6 years, after switching from a single stage Redding. I wouldn't want to say that it's a "better" press, due to the free floating feature, but I feel it's the most convenient and user friendly press I've tried, so far. I like the ease in which dies are changed out, and no more shellholders! Also, the primer seater is superb. I would like to make room on the bench for a second press, One for rimmed rounds, and one for rimless, so I don't have to flip around the universal shellplates.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With enought fussing any press likely can give concentric cartridges. The nice thing about the Co-Ax is you don`t have to fuss, the press does it for you.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes, the Co-Ax is better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have two on my bench and have for sixteen years. Do all my priming with the co-ax also. Convenient and accurate.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have been running the co-ax for well over 20 years and have just a single problem... The Vickerman in-line seaters I use for all cartridges are too long to go under the yoke. I had to set up a standard press to seat bullets. That is not a big deal to me.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A single look at a Co-Ax and about 5 seconds of critical thought led me to the correct conclusion that yes, it is most certainly "better."

And, not to knock the Vickerman's, but the Co-Ax with just about any die makes them a bit unnecessary.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The best in my experience reloading since 1963.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For a single stage press that has room for standard cases- there is none better than the the Forster Co-ax.

That said, I prefer the turret style and the Redding is top of that heap. There may be some custom, specialty stuff out there that's better, but by and large, these two are top of the heap.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I have floated all my dies, and shell plates (if possible) on my Dillon and my Rockchucker.. I don't think the Forster floating system would produce better rounds but I've never used one.

Spot

For your hunting rifles--even your accurate varmint rigs--the Co-ax won't make your loads any more accurate.

Having said that, the Co-ax is an excellent press.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
+1

Maybe not the best...........but havent found anything better.

LC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a picture of a Co-ax.

[Linked Image]

I don't like reaching up so high for the handle so I would not try one. I started loading in 1953 with a Lyman Eze Loader which has a similar reach up handle and when I got my RCBS A2 in 1961 the EZE Loader got pushed aside. Its still on the bench however.

Recently I got a RCBS Supreme which is one the topic presses. The press is made ok but in order to get the maximum stroke they have the shell holder going way up into the top of the press.

What happens then is that the die does not reach down so if your seating a bullet you have to let it go from your fingers long before you would with the A2.

So I would not recommend either the Co-ax or the Supreme. Nor do I have one that I would recommend. Used A2's are way too hard to find. I would look at what Redding has however but I have plenty of presses now. I am keeping the Supreme.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They sell a shorter handle for the Co-Ax, not that it needs one...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I don't like reaching up so high for the handle so I would not try one. I started loading in 1953 with a Lyman Eze Loader which has a similar reach up handle and when I got my RCBS A2 in 1961 the EZE Loader got pushed aside. Its still on the bench however.

I`ve a couple press`s on my bench and the Co-ax is worked at shoulder/belt level but I have to bend slightly to finish the stroke on my Lyman Orange crusher and RCBS JR. Ya either reach up a bit or bend over, which ever ya prefer.... whistle

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had a problem with the handle on my Co-Ax being too high.

It's a great press, period.

Weiners are health food - My dad
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Savage 99 must be vertically challanged. I use my Co-Ax while sitting in a normal chair and don't have a problem.Rick.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.