Print Thread
Hop To
M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I am aware that a non-resident of the U.S. cannot purchase ammunition or firearms in the U.S. Does that also apply to reloading components(brass, primers, bullets and powder) ?

What about reloading equipment such as presses and dies ?

Normally I would buy from a local source, but the vendors are still charging as if the Canadian dollar was at 60 cents U.S. I just salivate at the brass prices at Cabelas compared to Wholesale Sports.

Patrick

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We still purchase smokeless powder, primers and certain bullets Stateside, but apparently they aren't allowed to sell us Black powder or any 50 BMG components.
I do believe brass is also a no-no.
There isn't a big difference in cost of bullets & primers but most powders are approx.$17.00 per lb. or roughly half the Canadian price.
I still buy all my loading dies direct from the U.S. manufacturers with no problem...don't know about presses.
We can still buy certain long guns from the local dealer in Lynden and for a small fee he will deliver said firearms to the Canadian Border Post for registry.
Hope this helps...

A
abc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
How would they ever know you purchased any reloading components and any local LE officer could careless in the western states.

M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by abc
How would they ever know you purchased any reloading components and any local LE officer could careless in the western states.

When I enter the U.S., I consider myself a guest and as such will do my best not to break any of their laws, even if I feel they are bad laws. Also the U.S. Border Patrol regularly has roadblocks up just before the border crossing at Osoyoos and I sure don't want to be found in possession of reloading components, if they are illegal.

Patrick

Patrick

Will Rogers

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I just talked to sinclair and they can now again ship brass and bullets to Canada without an export permit, as long as your order does not contain more than 900 pieces. I.E. 600 bullets, 300 brass, or whatever. They still can not ship powder and primers but that is not new. I am assuming that Canadians can now purchase components again while in the U.S. but I would check with the A.T.F. to make sure. Also the sinclair rep I talked to on the phone did not know if they could ship firearms parts like a Rem. 700 firing pin, the Canadian Gov. were the ones that were paranoid about gun parts at the border but could care less abount components as long as you are within your limit.

IC B2

A
abc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Moby1, the world would be a better place if we all share your thinking. When I'm in Cananda or New Zealand I feel that I'm a guest very privilage to have a firearm and would never break the law. Sorry about that line of thinking.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Duckshoot,

I received Emails from Huntingtons, MidSouth Shooters Supply and Lock, Stock and Barrel this morning. All say they are unable to ship into Canada. They each indicate that it is a no go.

Where did you say we are going? And why are we in this handbasket?
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
From what I understand, there is a new ruling regarding shipping to Canada. The limit has gone from $100 to $ 500 US and they can ship bullets and brass but not powder or primers. Both Sinclair and Brownells now state this.

The other retailers may not be up to speed on the changes.

M
Moby1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by horkin_yorkin
From what I understand, there is a new ruling regarding shipping to Canada. The limit has gone from $100 to $ 500 US and they can ship bullets and brass but not powder or primers. Both Sinclair and Brownells now state this.

This is really good news !! I hope the other suppliers follow this new ruling ASAP.

Patrick

Patrick

Will Rogers

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reloading is a hobby not a terrorist activity last time I checked.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
to add to my earlier post I have to say that some of the U.S. companies just do not care about the Canadian market because it is so small. Even before there was a ban on shipping components I had more than one outfit tell me they did not ship to Canada.
You also have to learn a few of the tricks, such as never ever let them ship you anything U.P.S. make sure they ship it U.S. Postal service or any other way that will not charge you a brokerage fee. As an example I used to get bullets from Berger and when they were sent U.P.S. they took a long time and it turns out that they were sitting waiting to clear customs and some one it turns out got some crooked sweetheart deal with the CDN. goverment that everything that comes in through U.P.S. to canada has to be brokered. The bullets 30.00 the brokerage fee 45.00!! Now for the corker, I told them to send them back, a week later I get them in the mail from Bellingham Washington for nothing! I think U.P.S. is almost automactic for most companies and when people refuse the shipments and they have to eat the freight to the border they find it easier just to not ship to canada. Some companies like Sinclairs have thing figured out a little better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tHIS IS WHAT i WAS LOOKING FOR...

Anyone have alink to the new regs (or even where on Brownells site they explain them?)

thx

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Reloading is a hobby not a terrorist activity last time I checked.

Flight training is also considered a hobby by some...

It's not because you are a reloader but because the next guy might not be. smile

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
On sinclairs site it says that they are now owned by brownells and if you look at the sinclair site it gives explanations for shipping and even an e-mail for the lady that runs the foriegn sales, although I am not sure even we are cosidered over seas.

D.S.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rather than rely on Internet rumours I contacted Sinclair directly yesterday and they responded today with this:

Exportation requirements for all International Customers

The US Customs Service is requiring an export permit for all orders that include bullets, brass, scopes to certain Countries, and gun parts (rifles, actions, triggers, trigger guard assemblies, barrels, stocks, firing pins, firing pin springs, buttplates, etc.) shipping from the United States. We must apply for and receive these export permits through The US Department of State. This takes approximately 6 weeks for approval. There is an exemption allowing us to ship brass and bullets under 900 combined pieces without an Export Permit. Gun parts also under $100.00 can ship now without a permit.

Sinclair International, Inc. will submit your request for an export permit under our exporting license and forward the requested items to you by the US Postal Service, UPS and DHL no longer accept shipments with the licensed contents. We must have an original or certified copy of your import permit along with an English translation of the permit and your signed order for approval. Your order must include your name, address, shipping address (if different) along with the description and cost of the permit items. These documents are to be sent through the mail as the Department of State will not accept faxed or e-mailed documents.

Due to the paperwork and labor hours involved with applying for the export permits, a licensing fee will be applied to each order. The licensing fee will cover these costs as well as the packaging, handling and coordination of the shipment through the US Postal Service. Licensing fees for orders will be as follows:

Total value of export items under $500 incur a $75 charge

Total value of export items $500.00 - $1500.00 incur a 15% fee

Total value of export items over $1500.00 incur a 10% fee

The above export fees are only for those items that require a permit to ship and not the items that do not require a permit to ship.

Last edited by Cariboo; 01/11/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.