Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Haycock Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I'm looking at a 24V Series D (Ser# D3533xx) in .357 Mag over 20 gauge, and I was wondering if someone here could answer a couple of questions for me (many thanks in advance!)...

1) It is in nearly mint condition and the asking price is $575

2) This rifle has no Savage medallion on the grip-cap. Is that correct or has it been altered?

3) This rifle has a plastic trigger-guard. Is that correct or has it been altered?

Haycock

Haycock.

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
PA Constitution, Article I, Section 21
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
1. $575 is reasonable if the gun is pristine, they highest I've seen a 357 mag over 20 sell for so far is $751.

2. If the grip cap is thin and groved, it should have a Savage medallion, but unfortunately, they were never glued on well, and tended to fall off with use.
First year, with the thicker squared off grip cap did not come with the medallion to my knowledge.

3. Plastic trigger guard is correct also.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
H
Haycock Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Wink_man
1. $575 is reasonable if the gun is pristine, they highest I've seen a 357 mag over 20 sell for so far is $751.

2. If the grip cap is thin and groved, it should have a Savage medallion, but unfortunately, they were never glued on well, and tended to fall off with use.
First year, with the thicker squared off grip cap did not come with the medallion to my knowledge.

3. Plastic trigger guard is correct also.

Wink_man,

If by grooved you mean it has a white spacer like the butt-plate, then yes it does. What exactly do you mean by squared off? Also, exactly what was the range of years over which the .357/20 was produced? I could only find a .357 model in the catalogs on sava24.com in 1980....

Many thanks for the quick response, by the way!!! cool

Haycock

Haycock.

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The catalog shows a grip cap medallion but I wouldn't worry very much over that, they may have just thrown another one on your gun.

Does the grip cap on it look like it's been replaced? Does it fit well?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The 24 was first produced in .357 Mag in 1979, and that was also the last year of the 'half moon' receiver. That year had the fatter squared off pistol grip cap without the savage medallion. So if your receiver has the 'half moon' cutouts where it is mated to the stock, it's a 'first year' .357 Mag, and shouldn't(to my knowledge), have the medallion.

In 1980, they went to the straight sided receiver(where it meets the stock), and the smaller grip cap with the Savage medallion. The 357 Mag was only made till about 1982 or 83, when the 357 MAX made it's debut, and then the 357 MAX was only produced for a year or 2, including for one year, in a VERY RARE model called the 24VS, which was a nickle plated gun with 20 inch barrels instead of 24 inch, hardwood furniture, and an additional hardwood pistol grip.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Haycock

I could only find a .357 model in the catalogs on sava24.com in 1980....

Haycock

Those catalogs on www.savage24.com are mostly mine, LOL.

Garry
Trump won !!!
H
Haycock Offline OP
OP Offline
H
It fits well and the coloring of the spacer matches the one on the butt. There is a bolt hole in the center and the bottom of the cap is perfectly flat while the sides are slightly bevelled inward from the top of the cap (where it meets the spacer) to the bottom (where it is flat).

Haycock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it fits well and matches the gun I wouldn't worry about changing it.

Besides it probably looks better than the chief on the medallion with the big whiskey nose anyways!

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
H
Haycock Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I hear you, mad_dog, but Wink_man's comment about the first-year (.357s ?) not having the medallion intrigues me.

I'd like to know for certain whether or not the rifle is missing an original part before I plunk down hard earned scratch for it. Know what I mean?

Haycock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From your serial number the gun is not a first year gun though.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B3

H
Haycock Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by mad_dog
From your serial number the gun is not a first year gun though.

What are the ser # ranges?

Haycock.

H
Haycock Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Wink_man
The 24 was first produced in .357 Mag in 1979, and that was also the last year of the 'half moon' receiver. That year had the fatter squared off pistol grip cap without the savage medallion. So if your receiver has the 'half moon' cutouts where it is mated to the stock, it's a 'first year' .357 Mag, and shouldn't(to my knowledge), have the medallion.

In 1980, they went to the straight sided receiver(where it meets the stock), and the smaller grip cap with the Savage medallion. The 357 Mag was only made till about 1982 or 83, when the 357 MAX made it's debut, and then the 357 MAX was only produced for a year or 2, including for one year, in a VERY RARE model called the 24VS, which was a nickle plated gun with 20 inch barrels instead of 24 inch, hardwood furniture, and an additional hardwood pistol grip.

Not sure what you mean by "half-moon receiver cutouts".....

Could I impose on you to take a look at some pics of the rifle and render your opinion? The first 3 pics below are probably the most useful if I you correctly

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/Haycock-PA/24vside.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/Haycock-PA/24vForearm.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/Haycock-PA/24v-1.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/Haycock-PA/24v-4.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/Haycock-PA/24v-5.jpg

Haycock.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This is a 'half moon' receiver:
[Linked Image]

The pics you have listed, look very familiar to me, is that gun on, or has been on Gunbroker? I remember such a gun with a red backround as in the pics being on gunbroker, from a shop in Idaho, I think?

Anyways, see the difference in the side of the receiver, how the pics of the one you have have a 'straight' sided reciever, where it meets the stock?

The gun you show in the pics falls between 1980 to 1982/83 vintage. It is the deluxe model with walnut furniture, and the 10 1/2 inch beavertail forend and skip line checkering. Being such, yes, it should have the brass Savage logo on the pistol grip cap, but as I stated previously, they were never glued on very well from the factory, and many fell off even with just normal use.
Hope this has helped.

Garry
Trump won !!!
H
Haycock Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Yup. That helps considerably. Many thanks, sir.

By the way, the gun is not the one you are referring to in Idaho. This one is in PA.

Haycock

Haycock.

H
Haycock Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Garry...

Last question (promise)...

Any thoughts on where I can pick up a grip cap? Who do you know that stocks a fair supply of original 24 parts?

Haycock.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the same Savage 24V Series D, SN D3343xx, and think that the 357/20 is a nice 24V configuration. 24Vs in 357 Magnum are pretty uncommon, so if you want 1, you'd probably do well to buy the 1 you're looking at.

Steve, the guy who used to have all of the Savage parts, sold me some of the little indian head medallions a couple of years ago, but I don't know where you would find them now.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one somewhere. If it's that important, drop me a private message.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Haycock
Garry...

Last question (promise)...

Any thoughts on where I can pick up a grip cap? Who do you know that stocks a fair supply of original 24 parts?

Haycock,
You don't need a new grip cap, the grip cap and white line spacer shown on the pics is origial, and doesn't need to be replaced. WHat you need, is the little brass Savage Indian head logo, that fits in the indentation of the grip cap to cover the screw. And unfortunately, no one I know of has any, you could watch ebay, and one might pop up, or you could try this guy, but you'd have to call him, he's got a lot of savage parts, but he wouldn't advertise an item like that on his website:
http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/

Don't worry about the savage logo, it's not a big deal, and it won't devaluate the gun not having it. They were only made for a few years in .357, and they are not very common, and they're highly prized in some parts of the country as a 'truck gun', one doesn't get to many shots at them, so if you want it, I'd jump if I were you.

Garry
Trump won !!!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Numrich shows as having the brass medallion, here's a link, it's part # 721520:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=089Zz24%20LATE%20MODEL&MC=

Description of the part says it's for a 110, but i'm sure it would be the same.

Only problem with Numrich is, you may order that brass medalion, and wind up with the front fender of a 64 volkswagon instead. I NEVER order anything from them, but I have taken the ride up there if I really really need something, LOL.

Last edited by Wink_man; 01/10/08.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I have one somewhere. If it's that important, drop me a private message.

I guess you don't bother to read what other people post.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
364 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.