Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I haven't heard much about this cartridge being used anymore. I know at one time it was very popular and prolific amongst PH's and animal control individuals alike. Has this cartridge recently lost the faith of the masses, or is Jack Lott's "newcomer" taking all of the limelight as of late?
I am selfishly asking this because I have had the opportunity to by a Browning Safari Grade (fabrique nationale) in said cartridge for some time, and I would hate to buy anything that is 'out of vogue'.;) The rifle itself is quite charming, though maybe a little light at 8lbs.
Let's hear it fellas.......

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It may not be getting much press lately, but IMHO there's nothing wrong with the .458 Win Mag. (Full disclosure: I have no experience hunting any kind of dangerous game.) I'm currently having a custom .458 Win Mag built. Nothing fancy, just a solid working rifle. I'll probably load it like a "super" .45-70 / .450 Marlin and use it on feral hogs here in Texas. A 350 gr Hornady at around 2200-2300 fps should work great on hogs.

Here's an article from African Hunter magazine that you may enjoy:

What is wrong with the .458?
by Charlie Haley
http://www.african-hunter.com/WhatsWrong.htm

Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With Current powders and ammo the 458 is a far better rifle today then it was when released!

There is nolonger any dust settling on the 458win mag. The Lot is a more powerful round, however I loaded mine to 2250 with a 450 grain bullet. You should have no issue getting 2100 with the same bullet form the 458 mag.

The famous 470 nitro was a 2100 fps cartridge with an approx 500 grain bullet not much difference eh!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
At 8 lbs it might feel like you are shooting 3 inch magnums out of your 12 gauge. I had a Model 70 Super Grade that weighed 8.5 lbs and I thought that was a bit light during load development.
I'm curious what they are asking for the Browning Safari?
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bob, thanks for posting the article by Charlie Haley, Good read.

http://www.african-hunter.com/WhatsWrong.htm

Jim
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got hit in the head by one when I was a kid. The guy thought it was funny giving people scope cuts with his .458 Ruger. I shot a Krieghoff double .375 H & H that was ten grand back 20 years ago that was a lot more pleasant. It reminded me of a double shotgun. The Win mag just killed me. I would consider a stack of recoil reducers in the stock and a nice pad. I'm such a wuss.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 458 win is a poor choice and not a good dangerious game round. I collect browning safari grade rifles. Since you have no need to purchase it please PM me and I will buy it.
Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of more articles that may be of interest:

Beauty and the Beast
A serious look at a serious rifle!
Model 98 Mauser .458 Winchester Magnum
from Rifle Magazine, July-August 2003
by Phil Shoemaker
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=1043&magid=75

The .458 Winchester Magnum
Designed for Africa but All-American in its impact, this safari stopper is still a big bore to reckon with.
from Guns & Ammo, January 2005
by Stan Skinner
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/458winmag_122804/

Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Guess what is the next Rifle I'm buying a 458 win mag of course ?

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Well, the person I know is dear, and I think I will give him the $1100 CDN he has mentioned before. The wood is fantastic, and the blueing is as deep as I have ever seen. Here is the other funny thing about this rifle: it has never been tapped for a scope, and has dual folding island sights with an ivory front bead. He said he bought it that way from Eatons many years ago.
Any ideas on real worth?

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
With modern powders it is no trick to get 2250 fps with 450 grain bullets or 2100 with 500 grain bullets without excessive pressures or excessive powder compression. Personally, I think there is no need for the Lott.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
With 450gr TSX @ 2200fps the .458WM is more than adaquate for buffalo. Last season in the Selous L1 my partner and I both carried .458WM, mine a Mauser his a CZ. and while his CZ was less than reliable mechanically both rifles loaded with identical loads @2200fps laid low our bulls.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you were on the right side of the pond, I'd sell you this one... wink
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what function problems with the CZ I was thinking seriously about it

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
luv2safari,

Looks like a good working piece how many rounds can the mag hold ? And taking the scope off how is the open sights ? Maybe you could break it up in small pieces and send it to me to be reasembled over here if only ??? smile

Last edited by Mpumelelo; 01/27/08.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by medicman

Were you asking that of me? If so my partner's CZ Safari was prone to not ejecting a spent shell case. He had bought it as a used rifle and though I may be incorrect I doubt he put more than 5 boxes of ammo thru it prior to the trip.
As we faced his wounded buff he shot it a second time, and the rifle did not eject as he worked the bolt. I was able to free the spent shell case with my Leatherman and give him back the rifle so he could finish what he started.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
REM338WIN:
If you are a hand-loader, 2150fps with a 500gr bullet is not a big deal with todays powders. Or, purchase Hornady factory loads listed at 2260fps.

The loads in my M-70 are running 2185fps (across the screens) I have loaded them to 2280fps. The lower velocity is more accurate in my rifle. Plus the fact I have hunted in temps as high as 102F in Zimbabwe, and the 2185fps velocity has not given any pressure problems. Viz; extraction, flatened primers, etc.

My rifle weighs (loaded) just a smidge over 10#, and the recoil is managable. Obviously, an eight pound Browning .458WM is more comfortable to haul around; shooting it, however, might be a memorable experience. Just a thought, since I have not attempted same.

Don't sell the Win Mag short...it still gets the job done.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by MoccasinJoe1

Were you asking that of me? If so my partner's CZ Safari was prone to not ejecting a spent shell case. He had bought it as a used rifle and though I may be incorrect I doubt he put more than 5 boxes of ammo thru it prior to the trip.
As we faced his wounded buff he shot it a second time, and the rifle did not eject as he worked the bolt. I was able to free the spent shell case with my Leatherman and give him back the rifle so he could finish what he started.

I wouldn't be scared off the CZ's because of this report; any rifle that hasn't been thoroughly checked can fail when being operated under stress. If you buy a CZ, I would highly recommend sending it to American Hunting Rifles (www.hunting-rifles.com) for their package which includes a new trigger, three position safety and straightening the bolt handle. AHR will slick up the feeding and perform function checks as part of that package and for 500 bucks it's a heck of a deal. With that package, assuming you're buying new, a CZ 458 will run you about 1350 bucks, which is just below the Ruger RSM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by MoccasinJoe1

I wouldn't be scared off the CZ's because of this report; any rifle that hasn't been thoroughly checked can fail when being operated under stress. If you buy a CZ, I would highly recommend sending it to American Hunting Rifles (www.hunting-rifles.com) for their package which includes a new trigger, three position safety and straightening the bolt handle. AHR will slick up the feeding and perform function checks as part of that package and for 500 bucks it's a heck of a deal. With that package, assuming you're buying new, a CZ 458 will run you about 1350 bucks, which is just below the Ruger RSM.

Thanks. I had a friend whohad both a 602 in 458 and a 550 in 375 and they were fine rifles after he had the stocks changed.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have seen this rifle shot with 600gr Barnes Originals, and that was memorable. crazy.
I would likely have a 1lb Merc-Decelerator installed. I also believe that a 500gr at 2100 would work as desired. I would probaly try to get my hands on some Rhino's if possible also.

AF
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.