24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
H
i had a thought. i have horses, mule and all the gear for a wall tent camp. If getting in there a ways is something you guys would want to do I would be interested in packing a "drop" camp in on trade for something. Im not a guide but would consider working something out. I would need to check to see whats legal and make sure the time didnt interfere with my own hunt camp trip.

BP-B2

D
D
Thanks so much for the insight. If you were hunting the Selway Zone, where would you hunt? Any direction you can point me for my research would be greatly appreciated...drainages, trailhead access, etc. I'll be hunting Oct. 1-12. I'll be hunting with camp on my back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornsquatch, if I wanted to back-pack into big sand lake in the Selway, just to the west of Hamilton, do you think it would be easiest to go over Blodget (sp) pass or come in from Elk Summit in Idaho ? I know the pack from elk summit is 8 miles one way but there is also a substantial dirt road getting to elk summit. Hamilton and driving west to the trail head may be quicker and an easier hike. What do you think ?

Rolly
D
D
Hornsquatch, I would like to talk about the drop camp option for a base camp. I also have a wall tent and all the gear. There are 6 guys who are planning on hunting the area. I'm interested.

H
H
Dupedc,

Im thinking about possible ideas. Will reply as soon as i have my thoughts and information gathered.

Rolly - elk summit is better access to big sand lake, closer and less climbing. Either route is a long way in.

IC B2

H
H
Duped, do you mean you are part of a group of six?

Here's a starting point for you to consider:

Backpack huntin is definitely doable in the selway. If your successful it will be a REAL test getting the elk out on your back. You would have to determine your limits in advance and decide not to hunt further from the road than that. For most guys im guessing thats around 5 miles, in the steep selway country maybe less than that.

There are about 8 outfitters that guide in this part of the selway. Ive pasted their names and prices at the bottom of this post in case your interested in them. Their drop camp services typically consist of: camps set up with tents, stove, cots, cut firewood. You have to provide your food but they pack it in for you. They also let you ride their horses to and from camp. Im not sure what extra they charge for packing elk meat/horns out.

I am not an outfitter so i could not transport people or do any guiding. But im pretty sure i could be a packer and just bring camp in and camp/elk out in exchange for barter. What is legal as barter i still need to research, but im thinking something like services worth the equivalent of half or less what is charged in money as seen below. Again i dont want to break any law, so i need to read up.

The advantage of hiring a real outfitter is you know what your getting and they know the area. The disadvantage is they are going to put people in drop camps in areas were they wont interfere with their higher paying clients. Also, since outfitters can only use their permitted camp sites, this includes for drops, their permitted sites pretty much get hammered the entire season. Personally, when im hunting for myself i avoid outfitter campsites like the plague. They are hunted day in/day out by large groups. If your interested in an outfitter, there is one or two in the list below i would recommend. Also with some phone calls you might be able to find an honest guide who will drop you in a good area that isnt hammered by his other hunters.

pm me if you think we should talk more on this.

(all prices per person)
Meadow Creek Outfitters -$1,700
Bear Creek Outfitters -no drop camps
Mike Richie Outfitters -?
World Class Outfitting -$2250 - $2450 +6% tax
Bitterroot Outfitters -$2,000
Wildlife Adventures -$2,400
Lockey U Outfitters -$1,500
Ready Outfitters -?

D
D
Wow! Thanks for the insight and information. I am still very much in the research portion of the hunt. This is a huge area. I am looking at all access points for the Selway zone...16A, 17, 19, and 20. There are forest service roads that come into the area east of Elk City and Dixie to name two. I think that right now, I'm looking at hunting with camp on my back anywhere we go, but having a packer would definitely be a bonus. Oh, roger that about avoiding outfitter drop camps. The whole idea of this hunt is to get away from the crowds and push the envelope physically. My next step is to speak to game biologists and game wardens to pick their brains. I appreciate your input!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Its easy to kill a good bull in that unit..Get up high and find the place you least desire to go down into..The deepest nastiest, swampiest black hole you can find. Shoot him then pack him out on your back, piece at a time..

Hunt the black timber swamps and holes after the first shot is fired. I hunted that area and adjacent areas for 20 years, but no more, age crept up on me. I walk off Long Tom Lookout to the highway these days.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
IDAHOELKHNTR - " Unless you already have tags, you're considering an' 09 hunt. Think '08 are sold out."

Huh uh.

Idaho F&G hunting regs for 2008 aren't even set yet. Go here for the regs... when they are posted.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/

As for Unit 17... yep, it's rough country.

L.W.

Their website says that 2008 B tags are already sold out as of 1/25. There are 121 A tags left right now. SELWAY

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
H
atkinson, you ever get any good bulls in your years in the selway? I see it as a good place to get away from other hunters and get a 280-320 bull but never seen much bigger. Seems like either not good enough feed or too much early rifle pressure for the bulls to get huge.

IC B3

D
D
Ray, If you were going to hunt the Selway, where would you hunt? Is there a trail head you like to go in on, or a particular drainage that you have found to be productive the first week of October? Thanks

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
HighRoad, did you get my pm?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mike Richie Outfitters -?

Two years ago I went on a hunt with him. He got $4400 for a 2 on 1 guided hunt. He's expensive, but well worth it. It's a wilderness experience all the way. You have to hire a bush pilot to fly into a little strip that's surrounded by the wilderness, then he picks you up on horseback and takes you to camp. He and his guides work really hard, and by the end of the week you'll wonder why he doesn't charge more.

I wasn't quite expecting the weather. My hunt was early November, and it rained every night, and most days were foggy and overcast. He did find us our bulls.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.