24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two sets of Carl Dyer moccasins. One high top and one called the Canoe style low top. I wore these a lot at the Muzzle loading shoots and Rendezvous during the 70's and 80's. I took them, roughed up the sole a little with sand paper and after chopping up a whole bag of rubber bands with a chefs knife on a cutting board, I would put rubber cement on the soles and completely cover with the chopped rubber bands and press them onto the sole with latex glove.
They lasted many years. I still use the high tops I use for hunting if it's not too cold. This is just one idea you might try.
Here is a link to the place where I got mine. You can order single or double bottoms, or used to be able to.
Carl Dyer's Moccasins

Last edited by McClura; 04/05/15.

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!
BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Never tried hunting in moccassins. Pretty wet most places here where I hunt in PA. Like the idea though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glacier__John
Read your story on moccasins with interest.I would like to share a story of an old trapper I knew back in the 50's , who ran a trap line in northern Canada during the winter and wore only moccasins. He took heavy moose hide, anchored it at the toe and ran it back to the heel and anchored it, when it wore through he just replaced the replaceable sole. In the winter rivers and streams tend to flood ever once in a while. His method to cross them was to dip his foot quickly in the water and then out building up a layer of ice on each foot (at 20-40 below) doesn't take long and then continue on his way, back on the trail the ice would soon crack off. I talk to him in 54 and he had been trapping his registered line since 29. Any body wants to talk further PM your # and we can talk. Cheers NC P.S. good stalking.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 4ager
Bean boots.

Get a pair of canvas-topped bean boots, instead of a leather. With a little use they get nice and flexible, and make for a great stalking shoe. They sell them on the website.

K
K
Had a Pair of Fairchilds In 1969 do you have a pattern Available I love to make a pair for myself

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've made my own and used them for hunting on into the winter in northern WI and MN. If you get wet, stuff dry grass in the bottom. An insole cut from a tanned sheepskin works well. If your moving your feet stay warm. I made a pair of beaver fur mittens with gauntlets that came halfway up my arm and if I decided to sit somewhere to watch a trail I'd take the mittens off and slide my feet into the gauntlet part, toes stayed toasty.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A friend made me a pair some years ago that I wore bowhunting. They made it much easier to walk quiet, but they didn't fit well so I quit wearing them. I would like a new pair for the purpose one day.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I actually wear a pair of leather soled wrestling shoes, kinda like a moccasin, when still hunting.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I wore a leather pair of Moccasins for years, with additional deer skin soles inside, when I was a serious Stalking Bow hunter!
My oldest Son Has become a very proficient, and Serious Bow Hunter himself, and has kinda copied what I used to do,
and inherited my old, still good, moccasins, and has taken that to another level with the, Anxynt Moccasins, and has Taken a few nice specimens of Game with his Bow!
It's almost a must in my opinion to get close to game, with a Bow,IMO!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Carl Dyer makes great moccs, but man, are they pricey....
I still have mine that I bought in the '80s... so maybe, not so pricey after all.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/02/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I hunt in moccasins occasionally. Very light, Quiet, Easy to " feel" where you are walking.
Usually during muzzleloader season.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 82 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.