Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I use the Mil Surp Desert Camos for warm weather and switch to wool, either whipcords or heavier wool when it get wet and colder. Been known to hunt in the nylon based lightweights, but they don't do much for me in some of our throny brush. The desert camos, however, take the rough, throny stuff as well as anything that breathes.
Here, when it's warm, it gets really warm. So the heavier pants are not practical. Can be pretty cold in the early AM, down to the 40's and then warm up to the 90's during hunting season.
Haven't had the desert camo Mil Spec stuff wet much. Doesn't get much of it wet with the hard shells I use in conjunction with gaitors. Using capliene underwear also reduces any problems with them getting wet and my getting chilled a long way from my 4WD. E

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
WHERE can a person FIND Mammut Champs that are not sized for skinny, lean, hungry-looking, beer-hating joggers? I would LOVE to have a couple pairs, but, I am NOT a 34" waist and have no bloody intention of starving myself to get skinny!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have found that nothing beats wool when hunting moose in snowy thick timber with lots of blowdowns. [Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You'll find that the Sitka Mountain pant limbers up just fine after a little wearing or washing.

I find them to be a great utility/cargo pant, much like the BDU's, but the Mountain Pant will dry much faster and has some two-way stretch.

It's my only pant right now, and will retain that status for the near future.

Taylor

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I was super impressed with my microtex pants this year on the couple hunts I wore them on. Temperature ranges between 70-20 F without any problem for me. I had strongly considered the mountain pants, but for the price difference I can get a couple pairs of microtex ones. It would be nice if cabelas would make the microtex in a color other than camo, loden would be awesome, for a general hiking pant.

IC B2

JRaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
TheTone: Could not agree more on Cabela's colors.

Marc: By "limber up" you mean they get softer, and the seams less rough?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used the Sitka Gear Mountain Pant and Shirt last year and really liked both. I purchased them through Mark at last years Anchorage Sportsman Show and his sizing recomendations were right on. They didn't load up with water or snow and when damp they dried quickly. I wish they were a little more wind resistant, but I've got other layers that can help with that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I love my Microtex for all of the reasons already mentioned. They are on the heavy side, which is great for cold conditions and for padding, but they can get too warm later in the morning in September. And I too have experienced the restrictive upper legs of the pants when climbing, especially when it is warm.
The whole pant leg seems narrow to me, top to bottom. I think this adds to a lack of ventilation which combines with the thicker material to increase the warmth factor. I like this slim profile over baggy legs for ultimate stealth and when I want the warmth. They definately have their place.

I tried the supplex for the first time the other day in windy, cool conditions. I really like them. They are comfortable in every way. They seem to be super thin polyester so I doubt they will offer the padding and protection in the thorny stuff and I will have to wait and see about the moisture retention. But I have a feeling I will use them later in the day after the Microtex gets too warm.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have both the Sitka Mt Pants and the Sporthill SP3 Camo Expedition pants. Both fit me great. Sitka for 40*+, SP3s for colder... I think the SP3s are more comfortable, but maybe I haven't washed my Mt Pants enough... : ) I wish my Mt Pants were green, but other than that great stuff!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was wondering if any of you Sitka pant owners would be willing to go stand in the sprinkler for an hour, for the sake of science. Or at least have the wife spray you with the garden hose for 15 minutes and see how they hold up.

I want to get a pair of the Sitka pants, but I'm afraid they would suck like everything else when in the rainforest....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One guy I know tried 'em in our neck of the woods and reported they don't cut it...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That sucks. I'd cut a pretty big check for a pair of comfortable pants that would keep me dry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep...so would I. Still, even if they aren't what you're hoping for (I reckon we're both still searching), they might do OK....

I haven't found the right gear yet either, but get by with a few different types that aren't too bad.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The Simms wader material is good. I need to find somebody to make a pair of bib pants out of them for me minus the neoprene feet. Do you think it's possible to use a flexible glue to glue felt or a light fleece to the outside to quiet them down? I saw that you and Larry championed wader hunting, and I think it could work well.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Call Barney's in Anchorage. They are working on the development of a pant that was designed for the Special Forces. It has a Schoeler (spelling?) type fabric in a very intriguing camo. It supposed to be a competitor to the infamous SP3 Mountain/Expedition Pant.

I checked them out a few days ago and the fabric appears a little rougher on the inside than the SP3s, but Bob claimed the performance was better than the SP3... Will be an interesting new pant to add to the pant debate....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We kicked around a few ideas for the waders, including cutting the sock feet off completely and just wearing regular boots.

Right now I can't beat the system I'm using...two pairs of light Grunden's fleece..one to wear and one to dry...a light pair of capilene long undewear to put under when needed, and the lightest pair of rain pants/coat you can ball up in your pack for putting on top when necessary.

For alpine runs I just wear the capilene under the light rain gear, until I get to the top.

Other option is simply capilene under Grunden or HH full gear...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I was wondering if any of you Sitka pant owners would be willing to go stand in the sprinkler for an hour, for the sake of science. Or at least have the wife spray you with the garden hose for 15 minutes and see how they hold up.

I want to get a pair of the Sitka pants, but I'm afraid they would suck like everything else when in the rainforest....
What do you mean by "holding up"? What are you expecting them to do?? I have the mountain pants and just might stand in the shower with them but i'm not sure what your lookning for as far as results go. Standing outside in a sprinkler ain't going to happen, at least not a for a few more months.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Obviously he's wondering how waterproof they are...but I'm guessing they aren't really. Lots of companies tout their 'waterproof breathable' gear...but it never really turns out to be waterproof when put to the test.

The Downpour pants might be geared more for our conditions, but I'd still have my doubts it'd stay dry inside...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, I guess I was looking for more of a test other than them repelling water, which I seriously doubt they will do. Now I don't know about the Downpour pants, their suppose to be waterproof but methinks standing in a sprinkler for 15 minutes will eventually soak them. Guess i'll never know as they are just a little to expensive for me. I'll stick with the Mountain Pants and Impertech.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was hoping that with a name like Sitka, that it would be geared towards hunting in an island rainforest. If it doesn't make it 15 minutes in a sprinkler, it won't make it hiking through the wet brush, or kneeling down in a muskeg to call or glass.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
226 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 33 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.