Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer,
Is the 7mm 150gr E-tip going for a ride in your 7x57 in May? Curious to see results of that new bullet.
Marty

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't have any "real world experience" with a 270 since I do not and will not own one.

So, you wouldn't want to entertain such foolishness that wasn't birthed from "extensive use." That would just be "idle speculation."

Personally, I grow weary of these 270 discussions. Seems like a seasoned user of the 270 would already know the answer to this question given 30 years of extensive use.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Allen:Does this mean you are going to take this combo over there this year, instead of the 338/416 duo? smile

I'm familiar with the articles; I have the Amwell book which is just a fabulous,entertaining read. A friend and I describe light-weight 375's as a "John Jobson style 375"...he loved that pre 64. Is there a better cartridge article ever written than "A Pair of Aces"...? grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/29/08.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Bob, I don't have to declare serial numbers just yet, so I'm not quite fully decided. The 338 and the 416 are ready to go, so if I get pressed for time or else if I ultimately give in to common-sense (because my hunting partner's also taking a 338/416 combination), I'll go with my original plan.

Anytime a 270 Win. thread comes up, someone gets a bit cross, and I'm not quite sure why......

Back when I was a kid, I pledged to someday take a 270/375 combo to Africa, and it's a pledge that I intend to fulfill. Additionally, I've always wanted to hunt Cape buffalo with a 375 H&H, and since I haven't hunted Africa with my 375 H&H for the last 8 years, this might be a good year to dust it off and make it happen.

Quite honestly, I think that the 338/416 combo makes more sense for a number of reasons and would be more effective for all-around use. But I've used those rifles on safari before, nostalgia (and an old dream) is calling hard this time around, and to this day I've not used my sentimental old favorite cartridge, the 270 Win., in Africa at all.

I get weary of recoil as well, and every time JB, Dogzapper, or someone else starts talking about using the 30-06, 7x57, 308, or 270 in Africa for plainsgame, it gets increasingly easy for me to warm up to the idea.

The last time I had my 416 out at the range, I came home with a headache, but the last time I had the 375 out, it was like a walk in the park. I'm past the point of ever wanting a 458 Lott or some such howitzer for any sort of hunting........ crazy

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A couple years ago a friend of mine did a plains game hunt showing up with his sako finnlight in 30/06, folks over there gave him a hard time about using just a 30'06...til they watched him kill 14 animals with 15 shots using factory 165 partitions. I've never been to africa but to me it seems like a .270 just may work.I'd say use your old favorite Allen.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a .270 Rem Mountain Rifle from their custom shop in 2000. I brought it to North Carolina and shot two deer with it. Text book, high in the shoulder 2/3 of the way up the front leg. Both deer ran farther than they should have. They went about 200 yards. When I recovered the deer, the whole front end of both was bloodshot. Tons of coagulated blood in the leg joints, the deer looked like they couldn't possibly get far but they went a long way. I went back to the .300 Win and watched them drop. Now I stick to it. I was not at all happy with the .270.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The recoil issue is something to be considered for sure.Funny thing is we start with a 270(280, 30/06) etc, want more and get it, and discover the virtues and drawbacks of the bigger cartridges. Then,as we age and mature smile we decide we don't want the recoil anymore,and come back to what we started with wink

About the time I hit my late 40's, I stopped using the big 30's and went 7 mag and 270 instead.Recoil was the reason;although I've used all three (270,7 mag,300mag) my whole shooting career, the 7 mag and 270 have really held sway the last 10 years or so.I doubt my 300 will see much action....

I feel about the 416 now about like you feel about the Lott.When I go to Africa, it'll be the 375,mixed with a 7 mag, 270, or 30/06.I like the 30/06 because a guy could load some 220 solids, just in case......

If the 270/375 strikes your fancy, you should take them. I suspect you'll be just fine. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Handwerk, I cannot imagine were you were that locals considered a 30/06 under gunned. It's the standard in Southern Africa. several of the camp loaner rifles are 30/06's and have accounted for hundreds of animals with flawless performance. Many even shot with cup and core 180 grain bullets. However over the last 15 years the first premium bullets used have been Partitions,and we have moved up from there using all brands of Premium bullets.

Outside of dangerous game I have never head any local African PH criticize the 30/06, not once.
----------------------------------------------
To the others regarding the 375HH and larger.
Several years ago I wrote a comment that the 375HH was as much recoil as most folks could comfortably handle. For the practice needed to be a great shot with a dangerous game level cartridge.

The most typical comment back was "if you could train yourself to handle a 375HH then the 416 is no problem" (yeah right)

My opionion of those folks was they they were not shooting in the same numbers I was. There is a certain recoil difference that eliminates the 416 from the same recoil catagory. If you shoot one of these enough to be good with it..........really good and accurate, it will begin to stomp you. This same level of shooting and recoil does not occur with the 375HH before you are a comfortable shot with it. At least for most folks.

Today with the TSX the 375HH is more lethal they ever and as flat shooting as the 30/06. With the Swift Aframes this cartridge makes short work of any thin skinned game with a level of confidence that nothing smaller can match, and few larger can match either! 270 grain bullets at 2800fps are a serious flat shooting force.

The 375HH remains the greatest level of killing power you can have for the investment you make in recoil.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In observation, the 270 with 130 gr bullets is the most proficient deer killer in the woods. There is something about that combo that kills them dead!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

grin Allen, I had a Lott built because while I've cycled through the "lesser" magnums and back to standards in some cases, in this case - that of cape buffalo which scare me - I wanted a "big" rifle. I shoot it standing on my back legs and so far I can call it "fun". However, my wife has on occasion questioned my judgement on other things, so you can take that for the little it's worth.

I took a '06/375 combo (Blaser R93) to Namibia for PG and shot it on day one checking the sight-in. I shot a 3-shot 1.25" group with 375, even over the PH's truck, and he said, "yea, shoot that." With the 270-gr TSX this load did a .38" group once at home. Anyway, I had one trigger pull for seven species, none of which traveled beyond the spot on which they were hit. The 375 really is a remarkable balance of power, yet reasonably flat trajectory, without too much recoil.

On about day 5 I wanted to change over to the '06 for "kicks" and he talked my out of it - if it ain't broke, don't.......

I have no doubt the 270 would be fine. This argument is played out here ten times a day in terms of smaller cartridge effectiveness. You might just take a little more time, get a little closer, be a little more surgical in your shot placement which are all things we should be doing naturally as we get older anyway, and you would be fine but I'm sure you know that.

I too do like the idea of the 160-gr Nos Part in the 270 which at 2750-2800 fps if you handload should give very good penetration and be a good killer.

Gdv

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"I shoot it standing on my back legs"

For sure it would be easier to shoot with your front legs down too,.......that is if you had two more.

Sorry, that was just too funny they way I read it!

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One of the pleasures in life is giving someone a chuckle now and then. I do for the most part refrain from being on all fours. I find I am very slow and get a lot of strange looks.

What I could have said - better - is I shoot it standing from a raised bench or off-hand.

Gdv

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I clearly understood you, it was........as is the usual case with the internet just one of those things we write. I'm more guilty of bad typing and stupid mistakes then anyone on this site. I'm just so grateful I'm not being graded on this lack of skill!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kimber7man,

Yeah, at least in theory there should be some 150 7mm E-Tips going. Haven't seen any yet. I am also probably going to load up some of the Tipped TSX's and maybe something else as well. My wife will be shooting a .308 Win. and probably one or the other of those bullets as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
While I would not be totally happy with the 375 as the big rifle in this combo, it will work under all the conditions and deliver the results you want with less recoil than the 416. The 270...as much as I love it I would rather have a 30/06 for general bushveld hunting. No disadvantages for recoil or trajectory and not a ton of difference in effect but what little advantage there is lies with the 30/06. Larger diameter bullets that weigh more just work better, in my experience. I love both calibers but unless I'm hunting in really open country I seem to grab the '06 more often than the 270.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rob p
I was not at all happy with the .270.

Gee Rob, you know that is heresy on The Campfire, especially on Allen Days' post.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I switched from 150g Noslers to 150g Swift A-Frames in my 270 10 years ago. Both are great killers, but the Swift A-Frames tend to penetrate and exit while expending most of their energy in the animal. I've used mine on lots of elk, deer and 7 black bears, never lost one or had one run far. I get 3000 fps out of my Rem 700 BDL with a 22" barrel. I use Rem 9 1/2 M primers and lots of H4831. As always start low and work your way up, each rifle is differnt.

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rob p
I bought a .270 Rem Mountain Rifle from their custom shop in 2000. I brought it to North Carolina and shot two deer with it. Text book, high in the shoulder 2/3 of the way up the front leg. Both deer ran farther than they should have. They went about 200 yards. When I recovered the deer, the whole front end of both was bloodshot. Tons of coagulated blood in the leg joints, the deer looked like they couldn't possibly get far but they went a long way. I went back to the .300 Win and watched them drop. Now I stick to it. I was not at all happy with the .270.

If you are not getting good results for NC deer with a 270 and had to switch to a 300, there's something wrong there. Maybe you are using a tougher bullet with the 300 than the 270, but then again I find it a bit excessive to use a 300 on southern whitetail. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
+1 for Jorge.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rob p: If you "need" a 300 mag for those little-bitty North Carolina deer;what do you need for elk? I have read these half-baked criticisms of the 270 for years and quite frankly find them to be a bunch of non-sense, based on scant experience with the cartridge.There are legions of folks out there who could fill walls and freezers with game taken with the cartridge.

Behind most 270 horror stories lies an ill-suited bullet or a bum shot.

Sophistry......

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
98 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 13 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.