24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Mountain Pant was not designed to be waterproof. It is a hunting pant. It doesn't stay wet long, though, I can vouch for that.

Yes, "limber up" means soften or lose that "new" feel with respect to the Mountain Pant after washing.

hekin237 - Difficult to take a morbidly obese guy's opinion for the performance of a hiking/hunting pant. I guess someone tested it for him and told him how fabulous it was...

Amazing (we) keep reinventing clothing, but use the same ingredients as the last clothing. Polyester, wool, nylon, lycra and cotton.

The mountain pant is nothing more than a camouflage version of you Grandfather's polyester slacks with cargo pockets and articulated knees. The Expedition 3SP Pant is basically polypropelene, which has been around for decades as well.

Rename it, remarket it and call it a miracle garment!

Breathable -- I agree. Something is "proof" or it is not. Breathing is a two way exchange. Breathable garments eventually saturate. Period.

I choose a large waterPROOF garment that allows ample air movement to disperse perspiration. I no longer wear rain pants; they bind and don't work "with" me. If I am walking in something water proof I'll sweat and become wet anyway. Insulate to guard against chill, and keep as much water off you as possible. Totally dry is usually not an option, so insulated and damp will have to serve as "comfortable".

Taylor

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take warm/wet over cold/wet any day...sometimes dry isn't possible.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
As Marc said, the mountain pant is not waterproof or claim to be. It does dry quickly. They are extremely durable and quiet but if you are looking for something waterproof don't get them.
I love mine.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The Mountain Pant was not designed to be waterproof. It is a hunting pant. It doesn't stay wet long, though, I can vouch for that.

Yes, "limber up" means soften or lose that "new" feel with respect to the Mountain Pant after washing.

hekin237 - Difficult to take a morbidly obese guy's opinion for the performance of a hiking/hunting pant. I guess someone tested it for him and told him how fabulous it was...

Amazing (we) keep reinventing clothing, but use the same ingredients as the last clothing. Polyester, wool, nylon, lycra and cotton.

The mountain pant is nothing more than a camouflage version of you Grandfather's polyester slacks with cargo pockets and articulated knees. The Expedition 3SP Pant is basically polypropelene, which has been around for decades as well.

Breathable -- I agree. Something is "proof" or it is not. Breathing is a two way exchange. Breathable garments eventually saturate. Period.

I choose a large waterPROOF garment that allows ample air movement to disperse perspiration. I no longer wear rain pants; they bind and don't work "with" me. If I am walking in something water proof I'll sweat and become wet anyway. Insulate to guard against chill, and keep as much water off you as possible. Totally dry is usually not an option, so insulated and damp will have to serve as "comfortable".

Taylor

Great statements; obviously by someone who knows what they are talking about, and refreshingly practical. I've given my negative 2 cents regarding Taylor and Wiggy but I have to be consistent and honest and admit when the reverse is also true.
I just don't think the truth about the so-called "perfect" clothing that must exist out there somewhere could be better articulated than in Marc's comments here.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor

Taylor

What are your pants of choice?

Last edited by hekin237; 02/28/08.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Current - Sitka Mountain Pant

Prior - Cabelas Guidewear Supplex

Prior to that - 3SP Mountain/Expedition Pant

Before that I had a poplin rip-stop BDU leftover from before woodland camo.

I'd have to say that the most important aspect of a good hunting pant when it comes to its use in the backpacking/climbing/off-trail mountains is its ability to work with you, not against you. We used to accomplish this with large, baggy cargo pants like the BDU, but the weaving in of polyester and then conversion to poly/nylon produces a pant with a two- or four-way stretch. I check a pant for this by lifting my knee toward my forehead and see if I can bring my forehead and knee together without any binding or tugging on top of my thigh or tight pulling on the butt. These two places are usually the cause of excessive drag when climbing.

I used to find myself pulling on a waterproof pant when the rain or water got excessive and those notoriously work against you as well. This can add a noticeable amount of effort over the span of a long hunting day, causing a bit more fatigue than you need to experience. Now I forego the rain pant, period, and like the stretchiness of the Sitka Mountain Pant AND the fact that it is built on the pattern of a large cargo pant.

Taylor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Difficult to take a morbidly obese guy's opinion for the performance of a hiking/hunting pant.
Guess I shouldn't comment on this thread then... wink

Have you tried the Downpour pant yet? I noticed it's a 4way stretch vs. 2 way for the Mtn Pant.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
At $200 for the Downpour Pant you don't "try" it, you "invest" in it! <smile>

I have no need for a $450 set of raingear, nor will I sell a $450 set of raingear that will keep me no drier than a $140 set of raingear.

I've given the Downpour Series a "pass" after "failing" it on value-for-waterprooofing. <frown>

Taylor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info. I was surprised to see the raingear have 4 way stretch and the H2O resistant outerwear have only 2 way... I guess I'll have to keep getting my with my REI One jacket and Red Ledge pants.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
471 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 45 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.