Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you watch the videos, there are about 5 of them ranging, doping wind, reading tea leaves...more like death by committee.

NRA Life Member
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having hunted in the same camp with Jon Burns and shooting with him for five days, we shot every day out to @1k around 15 rounds per day, I can say with out a doubt that he knows his Sht, No, we did not get along well, Yes, he did help me out immensely, Is the guy one hell of a hunter and videographer, absolutely. After hearing other guys talk about him,,they have a hard time with his personality as well, however they all will tell you when in a bind or have a tough question unequivocally he will be there..The man has done a lot for our sport, and is one hell of a hunter, even though he was more pigheaded than I .My 2 cents.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can't help but find humor in the fact that people are so quick to jump to conclusions of a guy's ability to shoot long range with consistent results, when most have never even attempted it, nor even own a rifle capable of it.

Shooting long distance(500+) isn't nearly as difficult as one would think after reading some of these 2" groups at a 100 yards is good enough threads..........

I've trained three women over the years to shoot as well as the rifle they were handed and they proved more than once that shots at that distance with the right equipment and information provided to them, made the shots a guarantee, rather than a fluke.

Wind can kinda be tough to judge at times when shooting across canyons, but that's what they make scopes for..........see your target and it's surroundings. Observe your present location and make a determination of wind speed. Compare the two, as well as an in-between spot and make the shot. No, you can't go blasting animals with this information, but you can sure as hell practice enough to make this very reliable.

I've made plenty of one-shot hits with a 223 shooting out at 800 yards, shooting on top of rimrock, across canyons, and over a river. Now, that is sporting, but I knew my range, guessed wind pretty well, and new my rifle. Those one-shot hits were on 16oz pop bottles and they're not hard to do when you have the facts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Triggerguard.....I hear ya on the 800 yd 223 plinking. I do it with light bullets in calm winds and it is a blast to bust a full coke can at 700+. I cant do it very consistantly because the 52gr bullets are running out of steam, but it is fun. If I put the can at 800 it is almost impossible as a lot of the bullets go through the target keyholing.

I usually have some 6 inch or so square boxes that reloading supplies are shipped in laying around. I put a target spot on a couple of them and get the nephews to ride the ATV down range and just drop one box each for me and a shooting partner anywhere between 600 and 800 yards. we practice ranging, dialing in drops and shooting these boxes with bigger centerfires. I think this practice technique has help me more than anything. At first I was astonished at near hits. After a while you are not surprised when you hit the box. A while later you lose astonishment when you hit the 2 inch target spot.

I forgot to mention only one shot is allowed. If you miss you have to walk down and reteive the box. If you hit the orange target spot your shooting partner has to go get both boxes unless he hits orange also on his box. After you have walked it a few times you get pretty competitive. It is good practice and exercise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I'll pass, although it appears one or two of them can shoot.

I've shot against John Porter at several NBRSA Hunter Nationals benchrest tournaments. He's as bad-azz a BR shooter as you can get..matter of fact, he kicked all our tails last season at Porcupine, S.D. to become the 2007 NBRSA Hunter Benchrest National Champion. He's also a nice guy that's very humble about his accomplishments.

These guys are serious, long range hunters that are very scientific in both their approach to this and the gear they use. Don't be too quick to dismiss what they do as typical blam-blam dolts flingin' bullets at game at ridiculous ranges.

Good shootin'. -Al
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I'll pass, although it appears one or two of them can shoot.

I've shot against John Porter at several NBRSA Hunter Nationals benchrest tournaments. He's as bad-azz a BR shooter as you can get..matter of fact, he kicked all our tails last season at Porcupine, S.D. to become the 2007 NBRSA Hunter Benchrest National Champion. He's also a nice guy that's very humble about his accomplishments.

These guys are serious, long range hunters that are very scientific in both their approach to this and the gear they use. Don't be too quick to dismiss what they do as typical blam-blam dolts flingin' bullets at game at ridiculous ranges.

Good shootin'. -Al

If you say so, Al. I would not have given them the benefit of the doubt based on what I've seen. That said, I've come to see you as a serious shooter who has no reason to BS anyone......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
2muchgun:
Thanks for the kind words, sir. smile Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just had a brown bear hunter show up with one and took him down to our 100 yard range to sight in. After a couple minutes of adjusting and readjusting positions and sandbags on the bench, another couple of minutes of fidgeting with turrets the first shot completely missed a 10 inch paper plate ! Another couple of minutes readjusting everything eventually resulted in a hit !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Just had a brown bear hunter show up with one and took him down to our 100 yard range to sight in. After a couple minutes of adjusting and readjusting positions and sandbags on the bench, another couple of minutes of fidgeting with turrets the first shot completely missed a 10 inch paper plate ! Another couple of minutes readjusting everything eventually resulted in a hit !

As the guide, I'm sure that's comforting. laugh laugh
I'll wager there was more entertainment in the ensuing days.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Ah, the joys of guiding... grin

Is the hunter expecting sand bags and several minutes to set up for a shot in the field or have you beat that out of him/her yet? grin

Best wishes for your season, Phil!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by safariman
I have seen a few Charletains do over a CZ 550 with a new stock and try to sell them for 5K as a custom DGR. One is born every moment, I guess...

LGS east of me a ways advertises custom rifles. Stopped in there one day to take a look. He drops Savage barreled actions into Boyds laminate stocks, no bedding, no nothing. It's surprising how many he suckers into it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is that at JD's. Sounds about like it.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

What model rifle?

This thread is like 9 years old...they've had many different rifles since 2008...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just buy a Remington 700.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by adam32

What model rifle?

This thread is like 9 years old...they've had many different rifles since 2008...

You're opinion is about as compelling as that from my neighbor's cat. You were giving Diablo rifles a reach around at every turn. You're obviously a lackey

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Is that at JD's. Sounds about like it.

yep

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead

What model rifle?

You're opinion is about as compelling as that from my neighbor's cat. You were giving Diablo rifles a reach around at every turn. You're obviously a lackey

You're opinion is as good as Larry's...

I asked a question, didn't even offer an opinion, you're reading comprehension is as good as your rifle knowledge.

Geez you're an idiot that just lowers the 24hr bar daily. If it wasn't for dumbasses like you this site would get a lot more traffic.

You should get banned or just hurry up and stroke out already.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

What model rifle?

You're opinion is as good as Larry's...

I asked a question, didn't even offer an opinion, you're reading comprehension is as good as your rifle knowledge.

Geez you're an idiot that just lowers the 24hr bar daily. If it wasn't for dumbasses like you this site would get a lot more traffic.

You should get banned or just hurry up and stroke out already.

Doesn't change the fact that you're a lackey. Would you like me to show you all the reach around posts, while everyone else is rubbing cerakote off with a tissue and wondering where their rifles are?

Congrats, Hillary Clinton has more integrity than you. Let me know if you need a little help with some of the bigger words.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As seen on TV

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is one of the new ones and the good news is that it worked as intended on a bear 75 yards away !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
9 year old thread........?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 58 invisible), 3,149 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.