-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
For my next hunt this fall I'm looking for a windproof stocking cap and to be legal, it needs to be blaze orange. I'm not fond of the acrylic hats as they are generally cheap and don't offer much protection. The better ones add insulation to them but then get too bulky and warm. I'm just looking for windproof. I've searched hi and lo without much luck. Thanks.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't have any thing for you but you might consider a stormy Krommer hat I love these they are wool and you can pull the muff down to cover your ears. Almost any thing totaly wind proof will not breath so your hair is going to get condensation and damp. The stormy's come in a blaze Orange as well...

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out the MAXIT� HOTHEAD� BALACLAVA at Brigade QM, they are under the "clothing" then the "headwear" links. http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/index.tam

You just wear your blaze hat over the hothead. Works under helmets, caps, etc., real thin, blocks cold and wind.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The Hothead's are the real deal...

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The liner sounds like a good idea...

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The Stormy Krommer works for me in Maine. I also like the Armour Wear cap.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks guys, I already have a liner but not full headgear like that . Looks like a liner under a hat is the only way.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stormsearch
For my next hunt this fall I'm looking for a windproof stocking cap and to be legal, it needs to be blaze orange. I'm not fond of the acrylic hats as they are generally cheap and don't offer much protection. The better ones add insulation to them but then get too bulky and warm. I'm just looking for windproof. I've searched hi and lo without much luck. Thanks.

I know, windproof is hard to find in Blaze.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...p;parentType=index&indexId=cat470165

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4369,35932_Jacob-Ash-Hot-Shot-Printed-Wool-Knit-Hat-ReversibleFor-Men.html

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since you are looking at "wind-proof" but not too insulated or heavy, I would recommend the UnderArmor Blaze Orange "beanie" http://www.cabelas.com/reviews-cdn/...-8815-_-RLP-_-980090-_-description_link. I received one as a gift and it has worked very well in Colorado and South Dakota. However, when the weather turns excessively cold I do opt for a full face/balaclava top.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I second the suggestion that you wear two layers, a windproof balaclava under a blaze orange tuque. FWIW, that's what they're called, not "watch hat" "knit hat" or whatever the current fashion store from the USA calls 'em. They've been called tuques here for a couple hundred years or so...
If you wear two layers, you have the best protection for severe cold, and can take the balaclava off and just wear the tuque if you find yourself sweating while you pack out your big bull.
I re-discovered the value of a windproof layer last November, left mine at home and froze both ears on a day that was -35c and very windy. I use a "Sonic" windstopper model from Outdoor Research, and any regular acrylic tuque on top.
Good hunting!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AC, I tried to order that one a while back and it was backordered, or you had to order two or something crazy like that. I like windblocker hats but they never seem to come in orange (for CO) or to fit my head right. With two layers of 400gr fleece it should cut the wind though. And it's reversible!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
stocking caps never worked for me. I want something to keep rain off my glasses. Plus, since I had cataract surgery, my eyes are more light sensitive and I need a hat with a brim to shade them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Funny you should ask:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...&topic=0&Search=true#Post1789490

UA beanies are ok, (I have a blue one for running and general work outside when it's chilly) but still a little thin. UA makes actual lined synthetic stocking hats like my orange one in the pictures at the thread linked above. I don't see them often, but probably can be had if you look around a bit. My orange UA stocking hat is a good bit warmer than the thinner beanie. I have yet to find any article of clothing that's completely windproof.

If you really want to look cool, check out the ski shops for a snazzy helmet cover, they come in all shapes and colors and can even break up your silhouette!

Dave

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JRaw
AC, I tried to order that one a while back and it was backordered, or you had to order two or something crazy like that. I like windblocker hats but they never seem to come in orange (for CO) or to fit my head right. With two layers of 400gr fleece it should cut the wind though. And it's reversible!

Sorry....it figgers.

I know what you mean, in the past couple years it's hard to find decent blaze hats--Cabela's and their flippin' obsession with camo everything..........

I have a Cabela's blaze orange "Radar O'Reilly" hat that is Gore-Tex, I like it, but the ear flaps don't go down quite enough to completely cover my ears when the wind is blowing hard...But I haven't seen it offered in years......

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.