Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi from BC, Canada!
Got a new Leupold for the son-in-law's birthday to fit on his new Tikka T3 Lite (stainless). VX-II 4x12x40 in silver.

Now I'm trying to figure out what is the best option for mounts.

Like the idea of utilizing the integral rails...but not much out there to pick from, especially in stainless or anodized silver.

Warne makes one, nickel plated, but looks a tad cheap (to me), and haven't read favorable comments for this application.

I'm a fan of the Burris Signature rings, but not available for integral rail on Tikka. Same with the Talley.

The Optilock Ring Mounts aren't available in N. America (near as I can find), and would be pricey as hell if they were.

One option I'm considering is the Dednutz one piece mount, seems to look pretty solid and tidy.

Any experience with mounting scopes on Tikkas here??? Great little rifle, just want to finish off right for lifetime of good deer and elk hunting.

Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like the factory rings, they work just fine, keep in mind that many people feel the need to fix things that aren't broke, I found mine to be the most square rings I have ever mounted a scope to, I think the rails make the rings line up very well

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I use the mounts that come with the Tikka. Stout as hell, composite material that looks pretty fair, but black. I'd get in contact with the guys at Tikka and see what they have in silver, stainless or nickle that fits their dovetails.

Wayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto on the factory rings. I've used nothing else on four different T3's, and never had a scope lose zero once I bore sighted and sighted in. They are light, as well.

I've had them on two 270's, a 243 and a 223 with zero problems.

I've got some silver ones, I think, if you want to buy a pair cheap and try them - assuming I can ship them to Canada (can't imagine why not, but stranger things have happened)...

BTW, welcome to the fire!

DJ

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Apparently there are basic rings shipped with the Tikka in the US. For some reason they don't come with the rifle in Canada...???

Are these the ones you're talking about...

http://www.tikkaprecision.com/item/58836_Tikka_Scope_Mounts__Scope_Mount_for_Tik.aspx

Was wondering if these are any good?

Really appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talley one piece lightweights!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with the Talleys for $49.00, I love them. the factory Tikka rings have soft screws.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've used Burris bases and Signature mounts that worked great. Also used Talleys that I liked but then went to 30mm. For the 30mm scope I went to Warne and they are far from chincy. Great solid mounts but a bit heavy if light is the order of the day. All the ones I used were black matte, which I do like on stainless with a black or stainless scope, but that's just me. I don't care for the supplied tikka rings. The screws, as noted, are soft and they look about as cheap as anything out there, but that's by my eyes. If others like them, it's all good. If I were you, I'd go Talleys as they are light and very well made. Paint them silver if you have to and mask the scope contact area.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All my Tikka's wear Warne Rings utilizing the integral rails.

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Talley makes silver rings, still $49.00 call gary at talley.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
IC B3

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I agree with DJTex. I use the factory supplied ones on my three...30-06, 270, & 338 and have never had a problem. They are the ones you referenced above and have served me well. Don't fix what ain't broken as cumminscowboy said.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Optilock rings & bases can be purchased at most hunting stores in Canada. Its all I use on my Sako and Tikka T3 rifles-very strong worth the extra money in my opinion. Here in Canada however we do NOT get the factory supplied Tikka rings (they are not Optilocks) that the USA market gets.

A set of Optilock LOW rings will be fine. I have the same scope in matte with the LR duplex on my Sako m75SS 243. My rings & bases are stainless. I have Leupold VX3 scopes on my Tikka T3 LS rifles.

Talley's are nice too.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I'm in Canada too, and I got Optilocks for my Tikka, they seem to be fine, but I been thinking about getting some Dednutz, only cause I like the way they look, and I've heard good things about them. But, you shouldnt have a problem finding Optilocks, and they seem great to me, I havent used them that long though....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm in Canada and have two Tikkas. One is wearing Burris Signature rings and bases and the other is wearing one piece Talley Lightweights. I had a set of Millets that used the grooves on the receiver - they worked but I did not have much confidence in them. There is not a lot of grab on these types of mounting systems and I would suggest a more traditional system that uses the mounting holes on top of the receiver. I really like the Talleys and would recommend them.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The factory mounts started to pull the pin through the front ring on a .270 after less than 40 rounds and I went with the Dednutz. Im pleased enough to add to more of the mounts to my collection. They are super clean and required no lapping at all.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey, thanks for all the great info. Nothing is better than first hand, personal experience.

Without meaning to get anal about scope mounts, the design of the Tikka rail doesn't offer a great deal of actual contact area for screw-on bases such as Weaver, Talley, Leupold or Burris in the same sense that is achieved on, f'rinstance, a Remington. Surface friction is a factor in stability. Further, because of the center groove, where the screws go through there is, I would presume, going to be a measurable gap between the base and rifle at this point with the screws out of contact with anything.

Next, because the bases are flat surfaced, there's really very little other than the screws and drillings themselves...already a tad weakened as mentioned above...contributing to alignment between separate rings and bases.

The point made about the anchor pin inherent in Tikka integral rail ring mounts starting to fail after only 40 rounds from a .270 is worth noting.

One conclusion so far: Ruger (I have a 22/77) got it right with their integral rail design. :-)

If Burris made a Signature ring mount in stainless/silver, I'd own 'em right now.

All that said, finding myself homing in on the Dednutz. Sure get good reviews everywhere I look.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, aaronward9, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.