-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang, gettin' kinda heated up around here.

I have a Sightron 2.5-10 Compact that I love. Good eye relief and easy to mount low with that 32mm front bell. I also have 2 Burris 4x Short Mags mounted on a Marlin 336C 30-30 and a Ruger 77/44 stainless. They are perfect on those rifles, tons of eye relief and a pretty decent field of view. I sent one back to Burris for the $50 Heavy Duplex swap and liked it so much that I'm going to do it to the other one as well.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ella
Cossatotjoe, is the eyepiece on the sightron causing you bolt handle clearance problems? This is something I want to avoid and my impression was that the eyepiece was small compared to the Elites and Conquests. Is Leupold the scope for a small eyepiece?

"Don't put a big scope on a little gun. It cancels out the handiness advantages of the short guns."

I'm in this camp. North 61, what kind of eye relief do those Burris 4x scopes have?

What I really meant is that it is long compared to the rest of the tube. In diameter, it is probably small to average. As for causing bolt clearance problems, I wouldn't know. The only things I could mount it on are a muzzle loader and a 30-30. Currently, it sits on the ML. I can vouch for the eye relief though, as that it is a very light ML and a shoot 150 grains in it with nary a problem on the eye relief.

You asked about the Burris 4x. I have one and I really like that little scope. It is really short as well, but since it is a straight tube scope, it has a lot of room to put rings. It has A LOT of eye relief. I don't care what the specs are supposed to be, I can probably get about 5 inches with it.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
On a compact rifle I would opt for the 1x4 Leupold varible or one of the old 3X Leupolds..I have been using them for years..I see no reason for a scope larger than 4X for any big game hunting. to put large scopes on carbines is like putting a 250 horse motor on a row boat IMO...

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well, I'm humbled. My new Sightron sii 4x compact came in. Nice glass! Eye relief by my measurement (flashlight aimed in the objective lens, index card moved back from the ocular lens until the light is clearly focused on the card) is 4.75"!

But the darn thing is a 1/4" too short to mount on a Savage short action, even with a Talley one-piece LW extension ring. It would work if I used an extension ring both front and back--and would position the scope perfectly to my eyes. But both rings would be at the extremities of the scope's mounting space--up against the slant of the tube at either end. I've heard--and sightron's instructions mention--this is undesirable. Does Talley sell single extension rings? Should I just forget it, send it back, and get a darn leupold? Go with a different mounting system?

(I should have take some folks advice several posts back and done a careful measurement. I figured if I could mount a burris short mag--with a little room to spare even--I could get ANY scope on there, so I just eyeballed it. Sigh.)

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Just checked the specs(4.4")on your scope tube. The narrowest base/ring combo I've been able to come up with has been Weaver bases with Leupold Rifleman vertical split rings. The rings are narrow and make for VERY light ring/base setup. I guess if you could give the meas. between the two base mounting screw holes that are fartherest apart I might be able to determine if they'd work. Worth a try!

til later

Last edited by EZEARL; 04/02/08.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here's a schematic of the dimensions. I double checked them on my scope--they seem accurate.

http://www.midwayusa.com/technote.exe/technote?SaleItemID=551415

Oal length of mounting surface (B in the schematic) is 4.40".

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
EZEARL, I appreciate it. I believe it was your advice I was ignoring earlier.

I get 5.65" between the two farthest apart screw holes, measured from center to center of each hole....

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'll see what I can come up with!

til later

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I just bought 4 Nikon Monarch 2x7's for $189.00 these are great scopes & fit a Remington 700 short actions perfectly.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I need you to go here:
http://www.weaver-mounts.com/charts/charts.aspx
Let me know which bases fit your rifle,especially the rear base.I
have a 46 rear(but some short action Savages take a 61)and a 402 extension front that I mounted as best I could at 5.65" with a set of Leupold Vertical split rings attached. It's gonna be close! But lets see if the rear base I have is the right one first.

til later

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
EZEARL, nice chart. I'd have to use the two piece 46 bases front and rear--this is an accutrigger left handed model 11 (with some modifications). I am grateful for your help. I'm getting on the phone to call a couple folks I know nearby who may have a Talley extension that I can borrow to pair with the one I have and see how that set up looks.

gahuntertom, there are some great deals on scopes out there, no doubt. But I'm looking for something fairly specific: 4" eye relief, small eyepiece for bolt clearance, under 40mm front bell. Light weight is less important than durability. I want something I can set up and forget. The scope equivalent of iron sights, no fuss, no muss.

This sightron would work great if I can get it to fit. This is a nice little scope....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know if this qualifies as a true compact, but my favorite Leupold is the 2.5-8 VX3.

Roy

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They're great scops, but the designers need to be horse whipped. An extra half inch whould make all of the difference in the world.

Don't you think that extension rings on the front and back kind of ruin the look and purpose of a trim and compact scope?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
"They're great scopes, but the designers need to be horse whipped. An extra half inch would make all of the difference in the world."

Ain't that the truth. Wonder what considerations those folks were considering.

I've seen some ugly looking extension rings, but the extended Talley's don't look too bad to me. Anyhow, if I have to choose, I'll take function over elegant looks. (Those opposed to Savages would say I have no choice.)

I mounted the scope with one of the bases loose and boy is it nice to bring that thing up to the shoulder and look straight through the tube, no head adjustment necessary. Pops right up, which was what I was trying to achieve. I like this scope, real nice glass, lots of room to grab the bolt, kind of low key without flash and gold lettering and whatnot. Purposewise, I think it'll do ok if I can get it on there....

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>]photobucket

Top base ia a Weaver 402 extension base. Bottom as you can see is a 46 base but I don't know the manufacturer. Two 46s(which I have although one is marked L46) with Leupold Rifleman Vertical Split rings should give you an outside the rings measurement of no more than 4 1/4". Below is what they look like assembled. I'm heading to town over the weekend and I'll see what find out about the bases.

til later

[Linked Image<br><br> </div>
<br>

</div>

</td></tr>

</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

<div id=
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A line up for size comparison.

Top to Bottom

Nikon Monarch 1.5x4.5
Leupold VariX-II 1x4
Leupold VX-II 1x4
Sightron-II 1.5x6
Weaver GS 4x
Weaver V-3

[Linked Image]

erich

Last edited by erich; 04/05/08.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by Ella

I have used a burris short mag 3x9. It did have long eye relief, but it was picky about head position and the view had a slightly rounded fisheye look to my eyes--especially towards the top end of the magnification range.

Ella:

This is exactly the sort of thing (head position being critical and fisheye look) that does not show up in formal specifications, and the sort of thing that I'd sure like to hear about from Rob and yourself when you have the chance!

john

That's about my assessment of the Burris 2x7 Compact, of which I have owned two and still have one. Looong eye relief, but a tricky scope to get behind. A narrow eye box is I believe the correct term? And I have seen that fisheye stuff you mention too, when doing fast strings with the AR that it's mounted on- meaning moving from target to target quickly.

It's also kind of heavy.

Other than that, it's great! crazy

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I mounted a Leupold compact 3-9x32 (I believe that is the correct OBJ.size) on a Ruger 77 Compact. I bought this before I heard about the lousy eyebox issues. So far the scope appears OK to me. Hunting in the fall will give me a better read on it!!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have most of the scopes named in this thread. I like them all. If I had to rank them it would be as follows:
1. 1.75X6 VXIII
2. 2.5X8 VXIII
3. SII 4X compact (discontinued model)
4. M8-2.5
5. Weaver V3
Also have M8-3, M8-4 and like them all. reflex264

Last edited by reflex264; 04/05/08.

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.084s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8887 MB (Peak: 1.0386 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2024-04-19 00:13:25 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS