Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello
I have a chance to swap into a very Nice Savage model 99-E which is in .300 Savage Caliber. It has The Pressed Checkering maple stock, Lever safety, Cocking Indicator, Rotory magazine, and Nice Bluing. My question is, What is one worth ? I Know they are not a Highly Prized collectible due to their newer status but I just wondered what one would be worth ?Here is what it Looks like. Regards Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Morning General,

Nice looking E. As you note, no collector interest now. Could change. Opinions vary but if I were looking for a clasic design rifle to hunt with I'd go 300-350 for that. 300 Sav is a nice cartridge for woods hunting and can be very accurate.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd play ball in the 2-300$ catergory.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello Guys
Thanks for the speedy come back here. I am swapping an Old 219-B in 30-30 for it that I have $250.00 in and have enjoyed the past few years. look's like neither of us will be getting hurt here.. Thegeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
General,

I note you posted that it has a maple stock. Is that important to you? I believe they only came in walnut or birch.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EVEN swap would be my BEST offer. No more. An outright cash deal both Steve99 and Jed where right in the ballpark. AS ALWAYS!!!!! Maple and Birch can be confused. Looks Birch to me.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That'd be a fair deal on a good hunting rifle. I use an E (in .308, metal & wood refinished) as my foul-weather gun.

Don in Maine
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve99
General,

I note you posted that it has a maple stock. Is that important to you? I believe they only came in walnut or birch.

Hello Steve
Glad you Noticed my Mistake here before Jed Lit a Fire under my Ass on the Maple wood I Mentioned here. The Original Owner shared with me he stripped it as the Color of the wood was Brown and not very attractive. I Like the way it looks now, and No, It is not Important what wood is on it I am Buying it to shoot and enjoy not make a Safe Queen Out of it. Thanks again, for clearing the selection off wood on it up as the Original owner sounded unclear and called it Birch. Can anyone Tell me what Brand of scope Base this nas on it ? I have wondered if it may be a Redfield Mount, and also if it is Normal for it to be sitting so High in the rear part of it, close to The Cocking Indicator area ? Here is a Larger Picture of it that shows what I Mean on the Rear Part of this scope mount. To Me, It Look as Though The scope Goes Down hill toards the front the way it is mounted. perhaps this is Normal ? Best regards, Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It don't really go down hill , that is just an optical delusion.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've got an old Weaver scope there, or one made by them for a reseller like Sears, Gambles, etc. I kind of like them myself and think they just look right on these guns.

The scope mounts & base are the way they are, for the purpose of putting the line of sight and bore axis on an intersecting planes. It looks odd only because the 99 receiver curves downward at the rear.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
redfield, millet and leupold bases and rings interchange. i have seen redfield bases with an R on the right front side of the base. my millet base is unmarked and has lightning cuts on it to save weight. your base does not appear to have these cuts. maybe leupold?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SargeMO
You've got an old Weaver scope there, or one made by them for a reseller like Sears, Gambles, etc. I kind of like them myself and think they just look right on these guns.

The scope mounts & base are the way they are, for the purpose of putting the line of sight and bore axis on an intersecting planes. It looks odd only because the 99 receiver curves downward at the rear.

Hello Sarge
I appreciate yoyr insight on this issue. I am also a Lover of the Older Weaver scopes and have Two K-10's. One is Permantly Mounted on an Old classic Remington model 788 rifle I have in .243 Calber and I Killed a nice Buck with it this year. Regards, Thegeneral.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I ran into a pair of 99s at my favorite pawnshop yesterday. First one was an E in 308, looked pretty much just like the one in the picture above, except it had different bases and a Simmons 3-9 on it. The serial number started with C29 (?) and I did not find a lever boss code despite looking very closely. The action is clean & tight, lever locks up good. Stock is very nice (for pressed checkering) and the blueing is totally intact on the receiver. Case coloring on the lever is good, lever safety works smoothly. They are asking $649. Second one is a 99C in 243, with tang safety. Looks pretty good, has a Redfield 3x9 and they are asking $600. I was thinking of buying that one for my daughter to hunt with, but the price is pretty high. The guy at the shop says he sees about 10 - 15 99s per year and they never last long. I think Lightfoot must have found the place. Serial on the 243 also starts with C. Any advice from the experts?

Last edited by Texas Turtle; 04/08/08.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Too high..

99E's I would at if they are under $500, the more under the more I'd look.

99C's about the same.

Yes, people do buy them at that price, but I just don't think they are worth it. Jmho..

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Texas Turtle
I ran into a pair of 99s at my favorite pawnshop yesterday. First one was an E in 308, looked pretty much just like the one in the picture above, except it had different bases and a Simmons 3-9 on it. The serial number started with C29 (?) and I did not find a lever boss code despite looking very closely. The action is clean & tight, lever locks up good. Stock is very nice (for pressed checkering) and the blueing is totally intact on the receiver. Case coloring on the lever is good, lever safety works smoothly. They are asking $649. Second one is a 99C in 243, with tang safety. Looks pretty good, has a Redfield 3x9 and they are asking $600. I was thinking of buying that one for my daughter to hunt with, but the price is pretty high. The guy at the shop says he sees about 10 - 15 99s per year and they never last long. I think Lightfoot must have found the place. Serial on the 243 also starts with C. Any advice from the experts?

Hello Texas Turtle
I agree with the previous Poster that price sounds a Little high, But I have found in the past that Geographical Location much dictates the Market Prices of model 99's. I used to Live an Hour away from Pennsylvania and to me it had to be the Savage model 99 Capital of The World as all the deer hunters I knew of there, hunted Deer with a model 99 and you Hardly ever saw any other Rifles in the woods up there but 99's. I find now Living in Tennessee that 99's are very, very scarse and they get what ever the market will Bear on one. Even the Junk ones down here are over $450.00 so Given that fact, one has a choice to either pay the Market price of your area or shop out of State and have one shipped in at a Lower price.Tennessee has more Remington model 742 Woodsmasters than any other place I have seen and 99% of them are in 30-06 so when you see one in .243 or .270 Caliber, they typically run a couple of hundred Bucks more than the 30-06's. I hope this helps, Thegeneral.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
General,

I believe they call those pump Remington's Pennsylvania machine guns.

PA hasn't allowed semi auto's since I don't know when. Pump's and levers have been popular as a result. A lot of bolt guns out there come the fall these days. I try to do my part to keep the old traditions alive. Can't were red plaid though without the a blaze vest.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve99
General,

I believe they call those pump Remington's Pennsylvania machine guns.

PA hasn't allowed semi auto's since I don't know when. Pump's and levers have been popular as a result. A lot of bolt guns out there come the fall these days. I try to do my part to keep the old traditions alive. Can't were red plaid though without the a blaze vest.

Hello Steve
You may be right. I had a Very Old mint condition Remington model 14 in .30 Rem Caliber. Very Neat old accurate rifles they were... Thegeneral.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello
I Met with the guy last weekend that wanted to swap rifles with me, and now he has my 219 Savage in 30-30 and I got his Savage 99-E In exchange. He shared with me that this rifle was very accurate, but we all wonder when trading if the swap was a good one or not, and hope the gun was got in exchange will shoot and Perform well. I managed to get on the range with this rifle Yesterday and had on hand some Factory Loaded Federal 150 Grain Pointed soft Point Bullets that the swapper included in the deal. Below is the Target I fired with this 99-E and it Grouped the Three shot cluster to the Left with the first Three shots. I then made a scope adjustment and over corrected showing those shots to the right clustered together. I had just two rounds left and after splitting the scope clicks I had dropped the elevation just a little too much, so on the last shot made my slight scope adjustment and hit the bullseye with it at the 100 Yard range. I was happy to see this rifle is very accurate and look forward to reloading for it soon. Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There ya go.. a straight shooting 99 is all ya need! grin

Very nice groups for any rifle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Real nice.. Congrats!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (10Glocks, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.