Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here are a few pics of a mini Mauser Shane Thompson is building for me. Talk about making a silk purse out of a sows ear. This is the perfect example. When Shane is finished it's going to James Anderson for the stock work.

When this rifle is finished this will without a doubt be the nicest rifle in my safe. I know it seems a little strange to put so much effort into a walking varmint rifle, but my thinking was this will be the most used gun in the safe as I walk for song dogs much more than I hunt any other game. Besides I can use it on occasion during deer season too.

Shane is no doubt the most meticulous gunsmith I've ever dealt with. He ranks up there with the all time greats IMO. He's done things to the action functionally and cosmetically that I would have never even thought of. I feel very lucky to have him building this for me.

Here are the specs on the barreled action:
1. Charles Daly Mini Mauser action
2. Timney featherweight trigger
3. James Anderson custom bottom metal. Looks like Blackburn but scaled down to mini Mauser size.
4. Dakota 3 position safety.
5. Custom contoured Shilen select barrel Chambered in .223 20" long with a 1 in 9" twist.
6. Lot's of custom amenities. Custom bases, quarter rib, front sights and barrel swivel.
7. New bolt handle.

Here are a few pictures of the action being built. It;'s not finished and this is a work in progress. I thought some of you might enjoy them as it's something you don't see everyday. For a look at all the pictures I have an album set up. You're more than welcome to take a look at the entire set. They can be seen at:

http://imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii

I will be adding more as the project progresses.

Here are a few

Surface grinding the billboard off the action. This will straighten up all the surfaces.
[Linked Image]
After the srface grind is complete the left side is milled. A thumb cut is added and the side is milled to get that funky 45 degree bevel off and give it that G33/40 look. This is all cosmetic.
[Linked Image]

After affects. No more writting on the action and it looks great!
[Linked Image]
Next the tang is welded up ground off where the factory safety was. A 3-position safety will be added so this feature is no longer needed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next, the barrel is contoured. This is going to be a VERY petite rifle. The finished contoured barrel is sitting next a Shilen featherweight! Remember the quater rib part? It'll need the custom contour to look right.

[Linked Image]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0064.jpg[/img]

Now, the bottom of the action is milled level. This is one of those things that makes the man a 1%er wink
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0146.jpg[/img]

And finally we have the bases and rings. You can get a good idea of how scaled down this action is by looking at the rings on top. He takes care of that in the next set of pics.
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/IMG_0246.JPG[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/IMG_0248.JPG[/img]
The shaping of the bases and rings. What I can I add? It's just amazing! He didn't include many photo's of this happening. It may be a proprietary operation. "I could show you, but I'd have to kill you afterwards" grin. I wish I could have been there looking over his shoulder when he did these.
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0135.jpg[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0136.jpg[/img]

Notice how the rings have been recontoured. He even took some of the height off of them. He told in an email he had about 5 hours in the rings. He said the front ring is 0.030 wider and made that way on purpose. These are the old Kimber rings that tighten in opposite directions.

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0142.jpg[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0149.jpg[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0151.jpg[/img]

That's all I have for now. The bolt handle, safety and bolt release are next. Then the barrel and all of it's amenities. I'll post more as I get them.

Terry

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice Terry--amazing amount of work...

I love hunting with a rifle that brings a guy as much enjoyment to look at it as shoot it.

Imagine that has some application to women as well...

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Missed the clipslot first time thru--great! I love them.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mamacita, that is going to be a looker. Betcha it's a shooter, too.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wow! All I can say is: "To each his own!" said the ol' lady when she kissed the cow....

Going to be purdy for sure, but if it were me, I sure to God wouldn't have put a thumb slot in it. frown I can understand the omission of the writing, but ? ? ?

I am getting rid of all my Mausers with the thumb-slot and going with only commercial actions. blush Different strokes..... I guess!

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep, different strokes. That's one of the beautiful things about a custom rifle. You can have it any way you want it.

Terry

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Terry, I've been looking at building a project using the same action. Do you know off hand the longest cartridge the action/magazine can take? I need 2.500 for my wildcat.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very nice!! What about the serial number? Is it ok to restamp the same number?

Moe

"Pick out two!"
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi Tod. Shane has had this action for a LONG time and he's on the other side of the country. I wish I could measure it for you but can't. They use this same action for the 22-250 and 7.62X39. It's gotta be real close to 2.50"

Justsaymoe, the # can be ground off with no problem as long as the SAME # is re applied. In this case the # went on the bottom of the action when the rifle is at the engraver the # will be put back on the side.

Terry

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Terry,

IIRC, this is the same action used in the Remington 700, built by Zastava. unfortunately, I haven't been able to lay my hands on one to measure. I am hopung it is longer than the CZ-527 action, which is only about 2.280.

Looks like you are going to have a nice little rifle. Your military mods (clip loading slot) made me think about building a small scale K98 in 223. I'm not sure why someone would do it, but it would be cute.

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Tod

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
IC B3

D
dj1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
i actually like the thumb cut, depending on the style of stock used it will give it sort of a mickey mouse guild rifle look

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dj1
i actually like the thumb cut, depending on the style of stock used it will give it sort of a mickey mouse guild rifle look

This man knows what I'm after! Although I do resent the Micky Mouse comment. I was thinking more like Mini Me from the Austin Powers movie grin

The barreled action will have a lot of English accents to it. We've got an scaled down old Rigby pattern in mind for the stock. James Anderson builds a beautiful stock. It's going to look nice.

Here is the blank that'll be used. It's a nice piece of Turkish. Very conservitive on the front end and just explodes with detail just past the grip.

[Linked Image]

Terry

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love double bridge mausers. The rings are a very nice and worthwhile touch. Keep the pics coming

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, keep 'em coming.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
D
dj1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
TC1, i thought that was the look you were going after & mickey mouse just means smaller than normal its not meant as an insult. i've considered doing something similar with one of the french mas 45 .22lr mauser copies but i haven't found one in the right condition yet.

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know, I just thought it was funny.

No harm done.

Terry

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Terry: Sweet! From photo's ( I have never held a rifle built by him)Thompson exhibits an ability to pare metal in the right spots to eliminate the "clunky look",and he proportions everything just right. Great sense of contour and line to everything he does.

Any particular reason he is not doing the stock for you?

Very creative project, by the way....anyone picking it up will think you have one of a very few rare and exotic pre war-something Mausers out of Oberndorf or somesuch... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any particular reason he is not doing the stock for you?

I can't afford him. Shane charges about twice what most builders do. With a stock like Shane builds most of the work is below the wood line anyway. We talked about him doing the whole gun but I just couldn't swing it. It was just too much. Shane understood, He's a blue collor worker too. wink

Funny thing is, his prices for dupication are very reasonable and he'll do copies of his own patterns.

IMO, it all worked out for the best. There is a new guy on the scene that is building some rifles I drool over. The stocks he builds have the lines that I seem to be drawn to in a custom rifle. His name is James Anderson and I feel VERY fortunate to have secured a place in line for him to stock it. I couldn't afford a rifle by both builders but I'll have a little of both in this rifle.

Terry

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Terry--
Did I miss you mentioning the chambering?

If you need to to go up to Shane's and kick the project loose at some point, let me know. He only lives about 90 minutes north of me (next door in this region) and he has done some stock duplicating and a basic barrel job. I have never had the jingle to pull the trigger on a full custom. His machine work is top flight. I saw the barreled action that was the examination/test piece that he submitted for adjuciation for entry into the Guild. It was had complex integrated rib and sights, all milled from a single round blank. He made some chips on floor with that project.

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi Utah, it's going to be chambered in .223 with a 1 in 9" twist barrel.

Mine will have a quarter rib too but it won't be integral. It will have the double transition front to back with a sight island and go from round on top at the front ring to flat where the sights sit. He's also making the front sight ramp and the barrel swivel stud. All three items will have the same transition were they end. A very nice custom touch!

This whole project is going to be some serious coin. I know most people when they get ready to have their "dream rifle" built go with a big bore. I've seen some beautiful ones. My thinking was why not build that once in a lifetime rifle in something I could use 12 months out of the year and not just a trip to Africa. This is not going to be a safe queen.

Terry

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.