-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7, Bryan is a friend of mine. He's one of the kindest, good-spirited people it's been my good fortune to know. I think I'm a pretty damn good judge of character and since you don't know Bryan from Adam I think it's only fair to point out you, and all those ready to chain him to a tree and torch him, don't know a damn thing about any specifics.

I'm not saying he DID or DIDN'T do anything wrong... just saying before everyone jumps to the kind of conclusions everyone here is making I'd prefer to know the facts... especially since I'd sooner share a campfire with Bryan over most people I've ever met anywhere.

My .02

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You come to my Country, Province ect and get charged not ONCE but TWICE on wildlife offense's you get a very short rope in my book.He's your friend and your right don't know him from Adam .I tend to believe a judge wildlife officer and the crown over Martin...Sorry but it's my backyard and thats how I feel about it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, forget having the facts... get a rope.

Ever occur to you that maybe the local Outfitters are/were jealous of Bryan's success and were gunning for him as a foreigner? There are a LOT of pressures from clients that come with outfitting... it's not an easy row to hoe and I'm not willing to hang someone before I know the facts. Even then, if wrong, the law tends to deal out punishment appropriate to "the crime." In this case I suspect there wasn't much to the charges. "Lying" ain't much of a "crime."

And we all know people, bureaucrats, and government officials aren't petty and vindictive, right?

Being "convicted" of something nebulous and unspecified isn't exactly convincing proof to me, just like getting a speeding ticket for going 45 in a 35 zone doesn't make someone a father-raper worthy of the Cat O' Ninetails...

It's your Province and you take pride in it... were I in your shoes I'd feel the same... lets just try and stick with measured sanity and the facts.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not saying he DID or DIDN'T do anything wrong... just saying before everyone jumps to the kind of conclusions everyone here is making I'd prefer to know the facts..

He had his day in court,and the evidence resulted in a conviction.The fact that this is not his first conviction leads me to believe that he is not the kind of person that should be allowed to outfit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And they weren't gunning for him as a foreigner and his BC competitors weren't jealous, right?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He gets a short rope with me on past performances..Imagine if I was to pull his bullshitt not once but twice in Montana say were you hunt..

He's proven to be a fibber and a thief of our wildlife..I stand firm get out Martin...There's about 10 thousand other resident hunters in this province who agree with me..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, "making a false statement to a conservation official" is definitely a hanging offense, right? Worthy of a two year jail sentence according to some here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7 STW
He gets a short rope with me on past performances..Imagine if I was to pull his bullshitt not once but twice in Montana say were you hunt..

He's proven to be a fibber and a thief of our wildlife..I stand firm get out Martin...There's about 10 thousand other resident hunters in this province who agree with me..

Botom line, you know NOTHING of the details.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Again, "making a false statement to a conservation official" is definitely a hanging offense, right? Worthy of a two year jail sentence according to some here...

When your a vistor in another country making scratch on crown wildlife it dam well should be...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7 STW
When your a vistor in another country making scratch on crown wildlife it dam well should be...

LOL, who the [bleep] do you think he bought the concession from? A Frenchman? Did he employ Canadians, buy Canadian goods, Pay Canadian taxes and generally lend his .02 to the Cannuckian Government?

I suspect even you can figure that out...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad your friends the [bleep] thief in my country...So take your smart azz [bleep] and cool it..Actually take that [bleep] martin with you too..

I getting too wound up on this so [bleep] it........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yupper, common sense can get a fella all worked up grin

BTW, one of my good friends here is a Cannuck, a fourteen year retired veteran of the NHL... should I ship him back over the border because he once got a speeding ticket in the USA and "stole" from all us dumb Americans by being an overpaid athlete?

Right...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apples to oranges....
We the folks of British Columbia take wildlife offences very seriously..It's unacceptable for a resident to do that ..Most of us are brought up working in the forest hunting and have a general respect for all outdoors..

I make my living from the land around me.I respect it and am Thankful everyday for it.Thats why I can never accept this under and circumstance period.

BTW Martins lucky to have a friend like you Brad..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7, like I said, were I in your position I'd have my hair up as well... it's only natural and I totally understand that. All I'm saying is there are really not facts offered here, just a lot of innuendo and character assassination. The only "fact" as the judge saw it was he misrepresented a fact or two to a wildlife officer. Could be his client got gung-ho and did something stupid and he was trying to protect him. Dunno. Just trying to offer a little perspective. Just because you get a slap on the wrist in court doesn't make you a criminal. Been there done that...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey maybe he was setup ? someone could of dropped those critters in his camp grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or during the trial the question of, "Have you ever had a black man in your hunting camp rears it's ugly head"....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And they weren't gunning for him as a foreigner and his BC competitors weren't jealous, right?

Could be his client got gung-ho and did something stupid and he was trying to protect him.

He was caught breaking the law and was convicted,regardless of why he broke the law.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bryan is a very good friend of mine. When he was in Montana he hunted with me, lived in my home, played with my kids, and ate meals with my family � he�s an A+ person in all respects, especially honesty, trust-worthiness, and ethics. He�s as kind and hard-working of a person as you will ever meet.

It�s not uncommon that the press release is lacking considerable detail and has a slanted tone. The harsh words about him from many here anger me and they are completely uncalled for. I have no interest in arguing with a pack of clueless and uninformed idiots whose only outlet is their ability to post derogatory comments about somebody they know nothing about on the World Wide Web. Tough fingers behind that computer screen. Continue as you wish, but the fact will prove itself that NONE of you will be talking like this to Bryan�s face, or in front of any of his friends toe to toe. It won�t happen. Prove me wrong.

Everybody makes mistakes and bad decisions � every one of us. Bryan is not a poacher or a liar. To summarize the charge - he put false information on a government declaration form regarding animals one of his guides killed (who was not a BC resident) some of which, at the time he filled it out � Bryan was unaware of. The guide was told by Bryan that he would need to have another one of his guides present while he hunted as a legal requirement of non-resident hunting. In one case his guide did have a guide present but didn�t have his guide�s license physically on him. In the other two cases (same guide) the required �official guide� was in a camp several miles away. Later in the season, when filling out the paperwork with the guide, Bryan was faced with putting, �no guide present� or the guide�s name (who was in camp) on the paperwork. He has found that being a nice guy isn�t always the best choice. Here�s a quote from the detail he sent me:
Don't break any laws, period, as any of them can bite you in the butt. Also, giving a statement to a COS officer, even if just a technicality in the law was broken, is a sure way to get charged. They might be more lenient in their charges, but there will still be charges, as they have an oath to uphold the game laws, even if they may or may not agree with the laws or if they think you should or should not be charged.

Bryan sent me an email with all the circumstances of this issue and the previous charges with significant detail and with his permission to distribute it anywhere. I�m going to paste some of his exact wording in as it�s heinously complicated regarding his first citation. What I hope some of you garner from this is that there was nothing malicious, intentional, or even close to �poaching� that took place.
Kurt, several years ago, you and I talked about my other charge, from when I first purchased the area, in 1999. If you decide to put any of my comments on the website and anybody says anything about my past, the following paragraphs will explain everything that has ever happened, ever.

Our mutual friend, who does all my brochures and website, came up in 1999 to hunt goats with us. I took him into a remote area and we were both supposed to hunt together, on an exploratory goat hunt, as I didn't have many hunters that year. Our pilot, a licensed Canadian hunting guide, was also going to be our guide on this hunt. On the hike into the area, he crossed a beaver dam, slipped and fell into the water. He went back to the plane and then back to camp to get dried out and some warmer clothes. We waited for him the next morning, but he never showed up. Later, he told us that the camp, 18 miles away, that he flew back to, was weathered in and he couldn't get back to us. The hunter and I didn't know what had happened, as we didn't have a sat phone. After several days, he still didn't show up, so the hunter shot a goat, not far from where we were camped. He was a bow hunter, but couldn't get within range, so he borrowed my rifle. During this hunt, I saw the 2nd largest goat I've ever seen in my area, but because we were waiting on the guide, I didn't have a chance to take it either.

1999 was the first year that I owned the area and I had just applied and was accepted as a Landed Immigrant to Canada (I moved from the US), but I couldn't hold a guide license until 2000. The pilot was supposed to be our guide, but because of the weather, he couldn't make it back to us for 4 days. It just so happened that as the hunter and I were hiking up to recover his goat, that a guide from the neighboring area, was taking a short cut through our area, with his hunter. We talked and he saw that our guide was not with us. In fact, our guide/pilot flew over as we were talking, saw us, landed at the nearby lake and started up the trail to help with the goat. Our guide met the neighboring guide part way. Then, our guide, feeling bad for the very tired hunter, helped carry this hunter's pack back to the plane, then flew this guide and hunter, back to their base camp. My hunter and I had to pack his goat back alone and then wait until the next day to get picked up. Two years later, when this guide was no longer able to guide in this outfitter's area, because the outfitter leased the area to me instead, he turned the hunter and I into the game department, for hunting without a guide, because he was pissed at me for "taking his lease". Because I had let the hunter use my gun to shoot the goat and because I was the owner of this new business, I was charged with guiding without a license. We had a guide, he just wasn't physically present again.

The same time that the COS was talking to me about this issue, they had received a complaint that I had hunted as a resident in both Montana and BC, in 2000. When I showed them my non-resident hunting license and tags in MT, for 2000, plus proved that I met the residency requirements of being a resident for 7 months before hunting in BC, that charge was dropped. They then wanted to know how many days I was in and out of BC in 2001. According to their interpretation of the game laws, residency was a year to year situation. They based residency, also on physical presence in the province. Most residents likely didn't know that they were supposed to be physically present for 7 months of the proceeding 12 months, before doing any hunting as a resident. Since a month is basically 30 days, 7 times 30 is 210 days of physical presence was required. According to this law, even if you don't move or change your "residency", you might not be qualified to hunt as a resident. This is even if you owned or rented a home, paid taxes in BC, had everything registered in BC, didn't live anywhere else but BC and didn't claim any residency priviledges anywhere else, besides BC. So, if you were a truck driver and worked for more than 5 months outside of the providence or if you worked in a mine, say in Alberta, you might not have been qualified to hunt as a resident. But, if you couldn't hunt as a resident in BC and weren't qualified to hunt as a resident anywhere else, where does this put a guy? Pretty confusing. So, because I couldn't prove that I was in BC for 210 days in 2001, they charged me as not being qualified to hunt as a resident. I surely didn't keep track of where I was every day and could only prove less than 1/2 of a year of actually being physically present in BC.

They agreed that I was a resident in 2000, but that in 2001, I was not a resident, because I had been away from BC more that I was "allowed". So, then I wasn't a resident anywhere, as I didn't have any residency priviledges anywhere else either. There were only 3 reasons I wasn't in BC all the time in 2001 - seeing my family, wrapping up my old business in Montana and booking hunters by going to US trade shows in the winter. I surely wasn't trying to use the system and I surely couldn't have imagined that I wasn't a resident. I knew people who traveled with work far more than I did, who were still hunting as residents, but because they weren't foreigners, they weren't well known and no one complained, they went unnoticed. It was not a good or fair law.

So, in court, I was charged with 2 things - guiding without a license and hunting without being physically present for enough days in 2001 to be considered a resident. Even though I wasn't the "guide" for the hunter, I agreed to plea guilty to this charge, if they dropped the residency charge. They didn't, so I fought both of them. In court, the judge said that because I was both the owner and because I let the hunter use my rifle, that I aided in the hunt and acted as the guide, even though we had one hired for the hunt. It didn't matter about the plane being weathered in. We should have just waited, even if the guide had not made it back, and just not shot the goat.

With the residency charge, the Judge quickly ruled in my favor and said that I was definitely a resident. I met all the residency requirements of being a Landed Immigrant and that since I didn't have any residency in any other state or province and since I didn't live anywhere else, that I was definitely a resident of BC. Well, the Crown council and COS didn't like this, so they appealed the judges ruling. We had to go to Appeals and Supreme Court, where I wasn't able to testify. It was strictly a written argument, by both legal councils (attorneys). One judge ruled in my favor, regarding residency and 2 ruled against me. They said the law was a bit vague but the way they interpreted the law, was that one had to be physically present for 7 months/year, each and every year. I bet there are a lot of residents who don't know this!

When I went back to the original judge for sentencing, she was not happy that the courts had over ruled her decision, so even though I was found "guilty" of hunting without being a "resident" in the Appeals/Supreme Ct, this charge would not go on my record and I did not loose any hunting priviledges. I had a fine and lost the animals that I took that year, but nothing on my record. She was visibly upset about this Appeal decision and did not want me to face any penalties, but she was obligated to uphold the decision of the Appeals/Supreme Ct. With the illegal guiding charge, my friend lost his goat, but was not charged with anything else. I didn't loose any guiding priviledges, but had a fine to pay. This was the only thing the judge agreed that I had done. The residency violation - no way. So, I was just charged with guiding without holding a proper license.

Since then, the residency law has changed (maybe because of me), so that being a resident each year is much easier. It requires much less physical presence now -less than 1/2 of the time, of the old law. The way the law was originally written, made being a resident, for hunting priviledges, very difficult for anyone who traveled for work.

There�s way more detail but my point is.. mistakes were made � no doubt. But for those of you using words like scumbag, thief, liar, poacher -- think hard ask yourself if something like this couldn�t happen to any honest, decent and hardworking person. I suggest before making any further remarks about Bryan to contact the officer in BC to validate this information. I can only trust that the CO involved is capable of recognizing the type of person that Bryan Martin is.

I�ve never been on a guided hunt and if I ever do decide to do that I hope my guide or outfitter is 50% as qualified as Bryan. If he is, I know I�ll get my money�s worth.

Kutenay, 7 STW, and anybody else.. if you want to make derogatory statements about a good friend of mine, please show up on my doorstep and we can discuss it in person. Don�t respond by a message, email or phone, show up right on my doorstep. I�m easy to find, listed - with address.

Kurt Rued
Bozeman, Montana

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hmmmm...
"MACKENZIE � B.C. resident Bryan Martin and Alberta resident Mark Greenlee pleaded guilty to Wildlife Act offences in a Mackenzie courtroom last week.

Martin was charged with knowingly making a false statement to a conservation officer. Greenlee was charged with hunting big game while not a resident, knowingly making a false statement to a conservation officer and unlawful possession of wildlife.

Both men received fines and were ordered to pay penalties totalling $8,750. Greenlee was ordered to pay $3,750 and Martin was ordered to pay $5,000. The Habitat Conservation Trust Fund will receive $8,500 of the penalties paid.

In addition to the monetary penalties, Greenlee has been ordered not to hunt in B.C. for a period of two years and to forfeit the seized wildlife (a grizzly bear, mountain goat and a caribou)."

Several things come to mind for me; He was not found guilty... he pled guilty. He said he did what he was accused of... Sounds like he told his side right there.

His partner in crime pled to the same charge and two more, yet only paid 75% of the fine charged Martin. Either his rap sheet or his crime was significantly different...

A $3,750 fine involving the killing of three critters?!?!? And that shows BC is serious about wildlife crime? I have seen AK collect far more for far less... I am not in favor of drawing and quartering wildlife offenders and cringe at pedophiles and murders getting off lighter than a guy poaching a moose to feed his family, but $3,750 is chump change in this type case, IMO.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kurt-well said there my friend. I'm in the camp of I'd hunt with Bryan any day.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.