Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This story caught my attention because we are in the process of building a new house. I keep reading and hearing about construction sites being stripped of copper from wire, plumbing, and HVAC parts. Our builder told us several first hand stories of pilferage from houses that he was working on, so I have been apprehensive throught the process. Fortunately, construction is nearing an end and we haven't incurred any losses. If anyone does hit us I hope they are as inept as the rubes in the story below.

Police say men trying to steal power lines shocked

May 15, 6:47 PM (ET)

CONFLUENCE, Pa. (AP) - Two Somerset County men are charged with trying to steal live power lines that were still attached to a transformer and utility poles.

Police said Kevin Lee Lytle, 27, and Daniel Jay Basinger, 24, both of Confluence, were shocked during the theft attempt on May 3 in Lower Turkeyfoot Township.

Both were charged Wednesday, but only Basinger was well enough to attend his arraignment on the attempted theft charge.

Police say the incident disrupted power to area residences for about five hours. Penelec Power Co. owns the lines which suffered $1,500 damage.

The Associated Press could not immediately reach either man for comment.

Ya know, how smart do you have to be to know that trying to rip out live wires is not a good idea?

Link to story.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is a simply SHOCKING story. smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Intelligence is limited � stupidity isn't.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Here's a little chlorine for the gene pool:

Man killed trying to steal electrified copper wire

Published on: 05/13/08

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) � Savannah police say a homeless man was electrocuted after apparently trying to steal copper from wires on a utility pole.

The Savannah-Chatham Metro Police say the man, whose identity was withheld until notification of relatives, fell from the pole near the Amtrak station Sunday night after he tried to cut live wires at the top.

More than 100 cases of copper theft were reported to Savannah police last year, and it continues to be a problem.

Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Right up until it kills you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is your brain on drugs. eek

[Linked Image]
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Saw that one I believe, with the pics. Too gross to post as showed the body. Appeared the dude tried to saw wire with the hacksaw, as the handle of hacksaw was fried also.

Definite contender for 2008 Darwin, bearing in mind one needs to 'off' theirself to qualify. Suburban and office mall air conditioners have been dominate targets here lately.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our construction site have been hit real hard, not to mention a couple of guys cut down two 30" tall Aluminium light poles and were in the process of cutting them up in their front yard to take to the scrap yard. A couple of others got caught stealing man hole covers!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
with scrap prices this high we will see more of this

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That is just nuts.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I once took a report where someone had stripped a bunch of 4/0 copper cable out of a transformer behind a restaurant that was closed for renovations. A week later he hit it again and got more. He tried to get into the second cabinet but couldn't get the lock off. I left the thief a note that the 2nd cabinet was live. About week later we found him fried to a crisp inside that 2nd cabinet! blush I tried to warn him, honest!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have heard of people trying this in coal mines and getting electricuted because the lines were live.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If copper prices are worth dying for, why is a penny worth so little these days? confused wink laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A penny is worth more as scrap. You can't leave anything on a job, door frames, windows, wire. A lot of power poles have the ground conductor cut off at where you can reach. Several times a day the trash is gone through at work, most of them put everything back because they don't want trouble. We did have a dock plate fished under a fence.

As for manhole covers, that is trying to kill anyone on a bike, and maybe even a car.

Part if the trouble is that scrap yards take the stuff, even if they do have signs stating "we videotape every sale" and take a DL number. You know that if I show up with 200 pop cans, 70 feet of aluminum wire, a new door frame, and 6 manhole covers, I am not cleaning out the shed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just last week we had an acquaintance living in Vancouver loose his entire house to copper thieves.

They broke into the house and stripped all the copper out of it - including the piping that brought natural gas into the house.

After they left, the spewing gas ignited - blowing up the entire house.

The house was insured - or so the fellow we know - thought.

Now, the insurance company (nice people that they are) are saying that due to the fact the rental house was, at the time, unoccupied - that the insurance policy is invalid.

The people we know have hired a lawyer.

I know - it boggles the mind to think copper could be valuable enough to steal, while putting one's own life in danger.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Crimminals stealing live wire electricals. Another case of diving off the shallow end of the gene pool.

Last edited by bearmgc; 05/18/08.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Agreed.

Imagine pulling off a copper connection while natural gas spews out gas at high pressure - while inside the building! I guess it's just too bad they made it out before the house exploded. Darwinism missed it's chance this time.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wife and I have been looking at some foreclosures with land in hoping to get out in the country soon. Everyone we have looked at so far, has had the heat and air unti stolen from it. I did not know it was that bad until we started looking and the listing agents telling us about the stolen units.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Our builder told us that the last two things that he puts in houses are whirlpool baths and refrigerators. He says they are real popular items for theives around here.

One thing that may have helped us is that our new next door neighbor is a local LEO, so his patrol car is parked right next to the entrance to our driveway much of the day. He also keeps a keen eye on our property for us, especially keeping folks from fishing in our pond. In fact one evening my son stopped by the new house to check on its progress. Our neighbor had not met my son and walked down and asked what he was doing there. My son introduced himself and everything was fine. Its good to know you have neighbors that care enough to help watch for things.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by the_shootist
If copper prices are worth dying for, why is a penny worth so little these days? confused wink laugh

It's mostly zinc. Besides, it costs 1.6 cents to make.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's another would-be thief that made the same mistake of fooling with a live cable, except this one really used the wrong tool to try to cut with...

http://www.wirelessestimator.com/wifi/images/uploads/tower%20site%20fatality.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
326 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 43 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.