Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I thought that there was a detachable magazine conversion for the M98 sporter? I have a 30-06 cal FN Mauser that I would like to convert to a clip-feed rifle.

Anyone know of one, or was I "Corn-fused?"

Last edited by iambrb; 05/29/08.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, I have seen a conversion for a mil-surp Mauser. It is a single column 3-shot mag that replaces the floorplate. It's not pretty and it hangs down below the floorplate.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please save the Mauser...go buy you a Remington if you must have a 'clip'...The Mauser is the best feeding design in the world,one that all others follow...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is one & I have a copy in my file some where. I used one on a 243 Mauser 98 to hunt coyotes years ago. While it certainly worked, weight was added & little gained. I have a number of Mauser conversions & built correctly the feeding is flawless & nothing to be gained by adding removable magazines. Enjoy your Mauser as it was designed. I see nothing to be gained by having a removable magazine on any bolt gun. I do have a 7600 with a magazine but that's part of the design.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have seen a few used guns that have this conversion. I was thinking that this would be a simple way to convieniently carry in the field, but I will tell you now I am not going to chop-up an FN Mauser just to get a detachable mag. I had thunked it to be a simple conversion. Oh well. I will just happily and non-complainingly live with what I have - smiling the whole time!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The one that I have is a simple conversion and does not alter the rifle in any way. You just simply remove the floorplate, follower and spring. (Not the whole bottom metal) The detachable clip justs snaps in.

As the previous poster stated, it adds weight and is not very attractive. YMMV

The one I have I purchased off from eBay some time ago. (And, no, it's not for sale...) smile I don't believe that eBay allows sales of clips now. You might try Auction Arms or Gunbroker. HTH...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes they are available. Simple drop-in type. Not pretty, but do what you need. Won't alter the god-like Mauser other than taking off the floorplate. I think Gibbs Rifle Co. makes them in the US.
Mauser magazine

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Sporter Express carries them in both long action and short action form.

They are made by Gibbs rifle company so I assume they carry them too.

They are a quick way to get a 98 to feed 308 length cartridges without blocking the magazine.

http://www.sporterexpress.com/?p=browse&i=0004&ii=0015&iii=300-126

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I may be slow, but I do poor work too!

The advantages of a detachable magazine in a center fire hunting rifle escapes me. To me, five rounds are enough and I don't need very quick reloads (except for convenience). Detachable magazine's feeding lips are subject to damage and possible faulty feeding.

The Mauser design (IMO) is excellent and it WORKS! Paul Mauser was indeed a genus and he got it right over 100 years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
djs, there are many states that won't let you carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle. It is handy to have a loaded detached magazine ready.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.