-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get used to MRE's and sleeping in the back of Bradleys.............Plus scouts are always the advance units on the battle field. 1st to get all shot to schitt now. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Violator22
Aviation maint jobs transmit into real paychecks when and if you decide to get out.

A HUGE +1 on this statement. My cousin just retired from the U.S.M.C. as a MSGT. after 20 years in. Worked in life support on the Harrier attack Squadrons, ejection, oxygen, chute rigging etc... Also had been a flight mechaninc on the Presidential helicopter for several years.
Long story short he is "retired" and got a job paying like 80k doing the same job at a company that contracts the same work for the military.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My father told me the same exact thing, as far as the "sleeping arrangements." I appreciate your advice very much, I fear the idea of being a mechanic, or secretary with a military title, ya know?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm truelly not sure of my exact scores, and I've been presented alot of interesting options. Although, 85 is a low estiment. I was told by a recruiter that it was difficult, and generally pointless to retest with my scores.

Just a little advice, and I don't think anyone who has ever had anything to do with the Army would disagree, don't completely trust your recruiter.

Ask to see your score. And don't take him at his word that it would be difficult or pointless to retest. It could be that your recruiter was told to recruit more 11B or gunbunnies and is steering you that way. You may have scored much better than you think and you may have lots more options than you think you have.

You are about to enter the adult world and no one is responsible for looking out for you but yourself. Ask to see your scores.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Connor's last day of school was today, so you know he has big plans tonight. He's anxious to get back here though! Thanks again,

Pat

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thaanks Joe, I pointed your post out to him and he headed out the door. I'm sure he'll he asking you guys a million questions when he gets back.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If he's doing it for the chicks, show him some of Les' army pictures before he married.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Thaanks Joe, I pointed your post out to him and he headed out the door. I'm sure he'll he asking you guys a million questions when he gets back.

I need to rephrase that a bit. Don't believe anything your recruiter tells you. If he says the sky is blue, go outside and check. He may not be a bad guy, but his job is to get warm bodies and they are under a lot of pressure to do it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
My father told me the same exact thing, as far as the "sleeping arrangements." I appreciate your advice very much, I fear the idea of being a mechanic, or secretary with a military title, ya know?

Nothing wrong with being a mechanic. Those are the guys that made my jets safe and a weapon system instead of just a neat ride. You'll work your butt off and be rewarded with making the mission happen.

I've had 18 year olds work non-stop just because their name was on the side of the jet as Plane Captain and that meant it was theirs and I got to borrow it but that pride of ownership showed for them. It's an honorable profession!

Last edited by Pugs; 05/30/08.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can PM them to you Pat. :grin; You will appreciate them, but others here may not. shocked

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not what you'll want to hear but get into a good college and go ROTC. You'll make a lot more money than you'll ever make as an enlisted and the four years will fly by. McCain says we'll be in Iraq for 100 years anyway.

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Whatever he decides may God bless him and watch over him. He's gotta be a great young man and you should be very proud!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
While I had a lot of fun as an 11C1P, I don't recommend it to anyone, period. It was also a lot of work and picayune crap, to go along with the fun times, and it didn't balance out too well, either. I know I spent at least one full year of my four years, in the field, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pat,

It's like being a cop. You know the young guy that is just burning to be one...you ain't gonna talk him out of it. Same same if he thinks he wants the kill people and break things...I was that way, and went 11B...OJT's 11C, and almost OJT'd 19D. But, after your hitch is up, there's little to take from it. If he wants a career, the combat arms offers the quickest promotions, 11 series for sure. I don't know about now, but e-5 was doable inside 3 years in the 80s if you were infantry and a hard charger. If you were a mover and shaker, E-6 before your first re-up.

If he wants training for life after a hitch...computers, or something mechanical.

As I understand it...the bonus and college money is good now...I'd go short hitch, go 11 series, have some fun, and get out with a pocket full of cash and go to school.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pat,

I'll add...if he wants to be a kick aZZ type...infantry or marines...if he wants some tech training, Air Force or Navy.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're looking for a career then Cavalry (19D) is the way to go. Nothing else on the ground is as diverse or as challenging. If you want to fly then go there. Flying and ground support is a whole 'nother deal and if you get in the groove its a great way to go. Plus if you can fix a military aircraft you can fix anything and that will serve you well when you return to the civilian world. If you just intend to serve an enlistment or so then head for a technology field. You can't beat the military training and when you get out you're employment opportunities are head and shoulders above the combat arms guys, no matter what they say. Trust me. I was one of them. Good luck and look before you leap.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a former recruiter. First STAY IN SCHOOL!!! Dont even THINK of anything else right now.

Second, take that ASVAB as many times as they will let you. You will almost always do better the second or third time and you will almost always do better after another year of school. The higher your test scores, the better it will be for you, and the more opportunities will present themselves.

Third, go have a serious talk or two with recruiters from ALL the services and have your ASVAB scores with you when you go. Every service has something different and special that you need to hear about before you decide. For instance, Army, Navy, Air Force , USMC and Coast Guard all have excellent aviation programs. All will need persons with the background to train in electronics, air traffic control, medical fields, etc. Check 'em all out.

Fourth, and most important, do NOT sign up right now or anytime in the next few months. Take your time, study up on every opportunity available to you and get another year of school under your belt before you make any major decisions like this. You will change your mind many times in the next year or so, and dont be afraid to do so. We only get one ride on the merry-go-round, make sure you get the right ticket.

Last edited by jnyork; 05/30/08.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Best Army MOS?

Air Force

Otherwise join the Coast Guard.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Best Army MOS?

Air Force

Otherwise join the Coast Guard.

SH,

Other than in time of war (and even then their mission is very important), the CG likely does the most real world stuff and real world training there is day in and out. Had I known about the CG when I was young I might have gone that way. Tell the young man what there is to offer! I know they got a lot!

Last edited by .280Rem; 05/30/08.

War Damn Eagle!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, we don't train for war, so to speak, we have day to day missions. Saving lives is more fun than taking them. Depending on job, there are a bunch that interface with other agencies/civilians and that leads to better 'networking'.

Plus he can grow up to be JUST LIKE ME!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.