Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
UNFORGIVEN is unreal on many levels. When he picks up the whiskey bottle after he finds out Ned got killed ... oh man. VERY well written movie ... a work of true art if you ask me, and the Oscars were well deserved.

OUTLAW JOSEY WALES might be his most entertaining.

I wish he'd do another Western.

rb

It seems that RickBin and I have the same tastes!

I was going to comment on the writing & directing in Unforgiven, and Outlaw Josey Wales as the one that had me smiling the most!

Chief Dan George was perfect in his role in Outlaw Josey Wales.

John

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter

Had some in laws that used to live in Burney, CA near Clint's ranch (where the big muley was poached).
MtnHtr

That wouldn't happen to be the same "Burney Buck" that ended up on a postcard,is it?IIRC,it was the late 80's/early 90's.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb

Chief Dan George was perfect in his role in Outlaw Josey Wales.

John

Chief Dan George has some of the best lines ever in movie history.I watched an interview with Clint Eastwood once-he said George couldn't remember his lines,so they just told him to do whatever he wanted.

Josey Wales-"You got any food?"
Chief-"Well,I've got this peice of hard rock candy.But it isn't for eating-it's just for lookin through."

He had some classic lines in "Little Big Man" as well."Sometimes the magic works.Sometimes it doesn't."

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oh man--give me Joe Kidd anyday. All those pretty rifles, and the long-range shots. One of the best parts in any movie was when he shot Mingo off that rock at long-range with 1 of the rigs he stole from him-neato!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This doesn't make any sense at all...everyone here loves John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and Robert Duvall...yet no one can agree on the best caliber, sitting near a deer feeder, or whether to shoot with a fixed power scope or a variable...!??

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This doesn't make any sense at all...everyone here loves John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and Robert Duvall...yet no one can agree on the best caliber, sitting near a deer feeder, or whether to shoot with a fixed power scope or a variable...!??

Thats because all of us here are cut from the same pie, we just like to nitpick who's slice is the best. grin

Bill

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Thats because all of us here are cut from the same pie, we just like to nitpick who's slice is the best. grin

Bill

Thats about the best summation I've heard in a long time! cool

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TZONE - "Man I love his movies, more great one liners in 10 minutes than most of the crap tinsle town puts out all year."

Don't forget, those "great one liners" are written by writers sitting in front of a typewriter, or keyboard. Eastwood, and other actors, just read them, albeit some actors "read" the lines better than others. laugh

As for the flick, JOE KIDD, the script was written by the very fine writer, Elmore Leonard, and his original title was "SINOLA." Leonard is one of the few writers, novels and screenplays, who knows a fair amount about firearms.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by RickBin
UNFORGIVEN is unreal on many levels. When he picks up the whiskey bottle after he finds out Ned got killed ... oh man. VERY well written movie ... a work of true art if you ask me, and the Oscars were well deserved.

+1 on that. After watching it the first time, I thought it was one of the darkest movies Id seen in a long time.
English freakin Bob-that entire theme was just incredible.
And Hackman at the end " I was building a house.I dont deserve this."
"Deserves got nothing to do with it."
Think I am going to go rent it tonight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the oblique commentary on the caricature he played in most of his spaghetti westerns.

No fancy shooting (the hangman's rope, the bullet through the hat, etc.).

Instead, he gut-shoots an innocent kid with a rifle while hidden away in the rocks. Cowardly act in stark contrast to his usual bravado.

Same thing when he murders the unarmed Skinny in cold blood, and when he finishes off Bill.

A former drunken murderer turned pig farmer with a conscience. grin

"I ain't like you Bill."

"It's a helluva thing, kilin' a man ... you take away everything he is, and everything he's gonna be."

And then he goes into town ...

So many levels.

Superbly written movie!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter

Had some in laws that used to live in Burney, CA near Clint's ranch (where the big muley was poached).
MtnHtr

That wouldn't happen to be the same "Burney Buck" that ended up on a postcard,is it?IIRC,it was the late 80's/early 90's.

WB.

Nope, it was a different buck. I think they used DNA to link the gutpile to the culprit.

Clint was a common figure in town, though he was not too sociable with the general public. Not uncommon with some popular actors.

MtnHtr

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No one has mentioned "White Hunter Black Heart"
- he plays a movie director based on John Huston, who directed "The African Queen" - so he could go to Africa and go hunting.
I really liked that movie.

I was impressed with Unforgiven - he starts out as the Clint in the Westerns he played in later life, and by the end of the movie he had turned back into the Man With No Name from his Spaghetti Westerns.
It felt to me like the last western for him and he did it knowing that.

I was a big spaghetti western fan when I was a kid. I just suddenly remembered that I used to tape record the theme music from them off the TV. No vcr in those days.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watched Hud the other night. Fantastic movie. They should remake it with Clint playing the father.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
TZONE - "Man I love his movies, more great one liners in 10 minutes than most of the crap tinsle town puts out all year."

Don't forget, those "great one liners" are written by writers sitting in front of a typewriter, or keyboard. Eastwood, and other actors, just read them, albeit some actors "read" the lines better than others. laugh

As for the flick, JOE KIDD, the script was written by the very fine writer, Elmore Leonard, and his original title was "SINOLA." Leonard is one of the few writers, novels and screenplays, who knows a fair amount about firearms.

FWIW.

L.W.

Joe Kidd is also one of the few movies prominently featuring a Savage 99, which Robert Duvall's character carries, the other Savage 99 movie I know of is "Death Hunt" with Charles Bronson...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny
The Outlaw Josey Wales is my fav, but its tough to pass up High Plains Drifter when its on the tube. The Eiger Sanction and Where Eagles Dare are worth calling in sick for a day.

I agree with your choices 100%. I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who remembers "Where Eagles Dare." I haven't seen that one in years. They don't make movies like that any more.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ULA24
Yea, Kelly's Heroes is an all time great!

I really love his movies. And Kelly's Heroes pleased me very much. Strange movie, mixing some 70's spirit during WWII. A few years ago I saw a more recent movie with George Cloney. I don't remember the title but it was happening during the "desert storm" campaign and I thought "Damn, that's Kelly's Heroes in modern times".

Va t'in tch�re !
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That's "Three Kings" the one George Clooney movie I like; Mark Wahlberg, Ice Cube.. great underrated film. Don't particularly like the message, but I can put that aside and enjoy the movie.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not as good as Kelly's Heroes anyway, IMO ...

You think "Three Kings" was a "message movie" ?

Va t'in tch�re !
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have "White Hunter, Black Heart" on DVD and dont really
care for it. Another movie "Heartbreak Ridge" I kind of like,
but not very realistic, just cant see lower rank talking to
a USMC Gunnery SGT like that in real life, especially RECON.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't really care for "White Hunter,Black Heart" either.

A favorite movie of mine that Eastwood directed and co-stared in is "A Perfect World",with Kevin Costner.

WB.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
560 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.